PDA

View Full Version : cgWiki

salmonmoose
08-08-2005, 02:28 AM
It seems we have a huge number of talent artists here, and a huge amount of knowledge is floating around these forums. Has anyone concidered setting up a Wiki as part of cgSociety so that we can have a formulated and easy to search repository of that information.

There are many questions that are asked repeatedly in the forums, and rather than just impolitely telling people to 'just google it' it would be good to have a reference that could be pointed to within the architecture of the site. :)

For those that aren't aware of the concept:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

kabojnk
08-08-2005, 03:18 AM
Wow, that would be an interesting endeavour. There's no reason why there shouldn't be a CG Wiki, either.

I'd be willing to contribute articles. :)

salmonmoose
08-08-2005, 04:37 AM
It'd take some time to get it somewhere where it'd be highly useful, but the community here is large enough for it to be effective.

But it could provide some useful links that just don't show up anywhere else, like transfering a skillset from one application to another, you could search for a maya tool, using the 3dsmax word.

scrimski
08-08-2005, 08:37 AM
http://www.wikicg.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

salmonmoose
08-09-2005, 08:34 AM
It's a start, but it seems rather empty, I envision something that when I click on 3dsmax it comes up with more than just an overview of the product.

I'm talking techniques, and methodologies, people should be able to click on an application and have a link come up that shows them workarounds for common problems, how to use that application to approach certain tasks.

scrimski
08-09-2005, 08:57 AM
So go for it,fill the blank spots.

eks
08-21-2005, 10:55 PM
i agree with antrent about a cgwiki.

wikicg.com seems more focused on explaining cg for non-cg artists and a showcase of softwares for hobbyists. its layout is focused on "cg products", films and games, rather than "cg art" and the creation of computer generated imagery. something like a wikicg would only be helpfull (for cg artists) with the kind of material antrent envisioned, focused on techniques and workarounds, rather than software features and upcoming movies.

eks

splintah
03-30-2006, 08:11 AM
i just got linked to that thread because i started a similar one

here is what i wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what do you guys think of a CG WIKIPEDIA ?

check www.macrumors.com
they added a wikipedia to their site quite a while ago
http://guides.macrumors.com/
only registered users can post

the software is freely available, stable and professsional

it would be really cool if everybody could contribute to that
cgtalk is great as a forum
but having a wiki for cg would get you way faster to the information you seek

it would provide the information in a more beatiful and reliable way
-more time will be invested in presenting the information since it will stay there on top and not be posted away by hundrets of other posts and threads
-wrong / not acurate info will be corrected by other users

and it would keep the cgtalk forum free of those frequently asked questions

splintah
03-30-2006, 08:13 AM
i think a cgtalk wiki would explode in terms of contributions

where as the cgwiki.com is old and still mostly empty

you need some sort of momentum to get something like this going
a huge community like this would be enough

Nyx2095
04-12-2006, 06:00 PM
A wiki should definitely be created on this site. If it is here and made visible (eg: main menu "WIKI" link aside "FORUMS"), then people will use it, refer to it and contribute.

There is also a bandwidth consideration. The wikicg server may not have the capability to handle so much traffic.

My advice: make it use the same accounts as the forum, and require that people have been members for maybe 4 months and have at least 50 forum posts before making it possible to contribute.... But make it viewable by just anyone, even without an account.

Geta-Ve
05-18-2006, 08:19 AM
This is a great idea, has anyone started it yet?

splintah
08-05-2006, 02:10 PM
so there is a beta already ?

a friend told me but i cant find it

salmonmoose
08-09-2006, 07:58 AM
We're currently beta testing amongst CGS members.

*one of the unlisted benefits of being a CGS member is you're likely to be used for beta tests

salmonmoose
09-13-2006, 05:28 AM
It's Live:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=404308

The lesson here, is that to get functionality added to CGSociety, become an Admin, push for it, develop it yourself and then launch it ;)

Enjoy! :)

newellteapot
11-24-2006, 09:45 AM
This was such a good idea! I already gave a little contribution, thanks for being proactive and porpositive :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2006, 09:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.