PDA

View Full Version : Mental ray questions regarding processors and render lic.

SheepFactory
08-08-2005, 02:04 AM
Hi Guys ,

I was wondering , XSI essentials come with 4 MR licenses. Does that mean if I get a dual dualcore machine it'll use all 4 processors to speed up the render? How much of a performance increase will there be between a dual core 270 vs dual upteron 248 with the same amount of ram.

sorry if its a lame question but i dont know much about rendering and going to be getting a new comp for a short we are working on , dont want to do uninformed decisions.

Thanks in advance ,
-Ali

Atyss
08-08-2005, 03:40 AM
Be careful about how you phrase things. 4 "mr license" could have several meanings.

- First of all, I'm sure you know about that, but just in case... by mr license I hope you don't mean mr standalone. Because even with Advanced you don't get a single one. Each has to be purchased separately, and it's one per processor.

- Second, keep in mind that XSI Foundation, Essential and Advanced comes with 2 mental licenses into one, because you can use two processors to render stuff, although these process must live on the same motherboard.

- Third, if you meant satellite, then you should know that Essential has a 8 node satellite license, and Advanced has a 16 node satellite license. I don't know though if a node that has two processors count for one or two nodes.

- Lastly, I recently done many tests with a dual DualCore Opteron station. I did not check with my reseller, but I could render at full processor (4) with -I assume- a single license.

My tests were twice as fast as a single proc xeon with hyperthreading of 3ghz.

Cheers
Bernard

SheepFactory
08-08-2005, 05:26 AM
Thanks bernard.

"- Second, keep in mind that XSI Foundation, Essential and Advanced comes with 3 mental licenses into one, because you can use two processors to render stuff, although these process must live on the same motherboard."

really? I thought essentials came with 4 processor support as long as those 4 processors are in one machine.

But what i was mainly wondering is if a dual dualcore processor has significant difference from a dual opteron 248. if the increase in render performance is something like %20 < i'll go with dual opteron since thats about $1500 cheaper then the dual dualcore system I built online.

Antediluvian
08-08-2005, 12:50 PM
2 Processors containing 4 Cores in total, I assume.

CGTalk Moderation
08-08-2005, 12:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.