PDA

View Full Version : I have had it with E-on!!!

dueyftw
08-07-2005, 06:28 PM
I have had it with E-on and their shitty attitude. The latest patch non beta breaks the program in so many way that losing count. They leave it up so more users can get the encryption on their computers. How nice.
What idiot thinks that selling plants to users of a landscape program will make them any money? It’s like selling polygons in any other 3d program. The only thing it doing is pissing off the users and driving away any hopes of new customers.

In three months I was planning on doing a feature film, before the rendcows were just unstable finishing the jobs half the time, now with them not working I have stopped all work and giving E-on one week to fix this mess that they have made for themselves.

Currently I’m looking into Carrara 4 as a replacement. I paid for 5 extra cows when I bought 5I only 3 weeks ago and have two idle computers. If the program worked I would have bought 5 more cows but for now e-on gets no more of my money for anything.

Dale

RobertoOrtiz
08-08-2005, 05:42 AM
Language!

We dont want to traumatize the children!

:)

-R

mdunakin
08-08-2005, 07:05 AM
Not to come off rude, but have you actually sent them REAL info that could possibly HELP
them figure out WHAT the problem is, or have you just been complaining to them?
If you can narrow down what might be happening when the crashes accure, that might help?

I'm just saying, that that is what I do and I generally get great results from most companies.
In fact, I've been in conversations with them, and they have been completely
the opposite of what you describe here.

Not saying that you haven't already tried this, but sometimes the
way you word your complaints, CAN make a difference.

Anyway, is there anything you want to add to this thread,
so that maybe? the rest of us might be able to help you out?

thanx............md :)

dueyftw
08-08-2005, 07:04 PM
They know that the latest patch is a problem and they stick their heads in the sand do nothing but leave it up in hopes that all their users get the encryption on their computers.

Read:

https://secure.e-onsoftware.com/Support/ShowMessage.php?id=1121711469 (https://secure.e-onsoftware.com/Support/ShowMessage.php?id=1121711469)

With out the rendering farm working I'm left looking for other software that is stable and works as promised.

Dale

mdunakin
08-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Well, that was, if anything, a good read.

I guess it looks like you have some real issues that aren't being dwelt with,
or at least not soon enough for your timeline and I have no answers for you.
Wished I did, but I don't.

One thing I can say is, I have to agree with the plant creation bit, as I myself was quite
upset when I discovered that I couldn't create my own plants, like the addvertizing made it out to be.
Meaning, you can only use their already premade plant bases to work from and you can't
just build your own plants. I would of thought that a PLANT EDITOR meant just that.
But it doesn't and I was quite bumbed out that they didn't include
a REAL plant creation component to the app.

And importing my own plants is fine and dandy, except that then you don't get the
benifit of having the plants be changed from plant to plant with no plant being the
same as another, which is what you get when you import your own plants and just
have the size and rotations changes, they're still the same plant shape and form.

I've already requested that they add this and for that matter, I would of even
been willing to fork out a little more loot just to get that ability, but I don't think
it'll happen anytime soon, as it looks like they prefer to sell their plants instead
of letting you create your own.

Oh well, I guess...............md
BTW, after reading what the replies were to you,
I also felt that they were more then polite with you.
And also proffesional in their responces.

dueyftw
08-08-2005, 08:51 PM
I was hoping to get financing for a feature film. If this happened in the middle of production I would be telling the backers “Oh, by the way the film that I promised in 14 months will now take 4 years.”

5I is top of the line. The best of the best, and you want a Plant Editor that you can make plants from scratch???

Dale

Kevin Sanderson
08-08-2005, 09:01 PM
They know that the latest patch is a problem and they stick their heads in the sand do nothing but leave it up in hopes that all their users get the encryption on their computers.

Read:

https://secure.e-onsoftware.com/Support/ShowMessage.php?id=1121711469 (https://secure.e-onsoftware.com/Support/ShowMessage.php?id=1121711469)

With out the rendering farm working I'm left looking for other software that is stable and works as promised.

Dale

Dale, I just read your link. Settle down. I'm amazed they have been so nice and helpful given your comments. There are better ways of wording complaints. I understand your frustration but please... If it was me, I would've given your money back and said "Adios!" Their attitude in their replies to you really looks great.

First, I couldn't believe you were trying to use only 128 Meg of RAM for each node. Where do you think all the calculations, textures and other info are going? A swap file will not cut it in _any_ CG program. Good way to hose a hard-drive.

Second, render out to image sequences. No program I know about can construct a video file while rendering over a network. There's no reference in compilers for where the images are located on different drives. Instead, compile your frames in any standard video app.

Third, you can always go back to a previous update (under File>Cancel Last Update). I always wait a little before installing any upgrade/update to see what happens. A well learned habit in CG land.

And stay away from caffeine!

There have been many posts elsewhere stating the problems Poser has and Vue has with large Poser (texture images particularly) content. Best to simplify, or break things up and composite (most all CG movies I know about use compositing a lot!).

Good info about the hair difference...I hadn't gotten there yet.

All above not meant to flame, only to help clear the air a bit.

Kevin

Kevin Sanderson
08-08-2005, 09:05 PM
I was hoping to get financing for a feature film. If this happened in the middle of production I would be telling the backers “Oh, by the way the film that I promised in 14 months will now take 4 years.”

Dale

I guess it's good you found out now. Vue hasn't been used in any features yet to my knowldege. Your investors might ask about that. That's why the bulk of stuff goes to Maya, Max and LW, because they have been used. That's not to say you couldn't be cutting edge and be one of the first to use Vue in a film. I have similar aspirations, but self-financed. One of the reasons I move so slow on this stuff. :-(

BTW, there is a company that offers a Vue render farm (link on the e-on site). If you have investors, that's the much better route to take than rendering it all yourself. Oh, and don't promise an animated film in 14 months (unless it's a short)...more like 2 - 3+ years is the norm.

Kevin

dueyftw
08-08-2005, 09:54 PM
The problem is not with the nodes rendering the frames that were sent. It’s getting them back and put together was the problem. Now they don't work at all, they know it and they leave up this rotten patch that should have been up in the first place. What would happen if a patch for Maya stopped all rendering farm work? I’m sure that the Maya users would a lot nicer than I have been.

I finished 11 minutes film in less then 6 months by myself with Vue. It can be an extremely fast part of a pipe line if it is working correctly. 14 months is very possible with 4 to 6 people working.

Dale

Kevin Sanderson
08-08-2005, 10:13 PM
The problem is not with the nodes rendering the frames that were sent. It’s getting them back and put together was the problem. Now they don't work at all, they know it and they leave up this rotten patch that should have been up in the first place. What would happen if a patch for Maya stopped all rendering farm work? I’m sure that the Maya users would a lot nicer than I have been.

I finished 11 minutes film in less then 6 months by myself with Vue. It can be an extremely fast part of a pipe line if it is working correctly. 14 months is very possible with 4 to 6 people working.

Dale

Maya users of course pay more. And it's a bigger company with more resources. I bet they have problems as well that we don't hear about thanks to NDAs, etc. I would be more harsh on my opinion of Vue had it not been a beta. From the way I read it, they just suggested you try it. Their last message was that they were going to try and resolve the problem once and for all. That's much better than leaving you to hang which is what happens elsewhere.

If Vue is as fast as you say it's been, then my hat's off to you. But then I wonder why don't you go back to what was working? If Vue 5 Infinite has some things you want to use, composite those with what is working for you. If Poser renders are looking better in Poser, composite those with Vue frames. It's not that hard unless you're using crazy camera moves.

Kevin

mdunakin
08-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I'm currently learning Vue, so I can create my first full length interactive animation
of the desert areas I've been to through out the years and will be going back and forth between LW and Vue and doing loads of compositing work, since a lot of what I will be
adding into the scene are objects that use plugins in LW, such as Sas that only
work in LW and not in Vue.

From what I've seen so far, it looks like it should be a reletively easy process.
And I'll be composting Vue renderings with real life video as well.
Can't wait to see how it turns out!

................md :)

Kevin Sanderson
08-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I'm currently learning Vue, so I can create my first full length interactive animation
of the desert areas I've been to through out the years and will be going back and forth between LW and Vue and doing loads of compositing work, since a lot of what I will be
adding into the scene are objects that use plugins in LW, such as Sas that only
work in LW and not in Vue.

From what I've seen so far, it looks like it should be a reletively easy process.
And I'll be composting Vue renderings with real life video as well.
Can't wait to see how it turns out!

................md :)

Compositing is the way to go.

Kevin

dueyftw
08-09-2005, 12:42 AM
Ok, maybe I’m a hot head.

Lest say: if I wrote a module to be used in your high end program that was to say calculates wheel turning on a car model. You buy it and find that it only works with my encrypted content. And now the encryptions are not letting you store other car models that you made or bought to others formats because of my encryption. Pulse your rendering farm no longer works.

You wouldn’t want to kill me, huh?

Mistakes happen. They know that the last set of patches is causing more problems then they solve but the leave them up. That what is making so mad.
(updte they pulled all the new patches.)

If done right Vue can be the final render with no compositing.

Dale

sacslacker
08-09-2005, 07:50 PM
I'd just thought I'd pipe in and say that VUE is not even close to being production ready. In fact it's been a huge disappointment for me. I don't have a whole lot of technical issues but the fact is the application itself, while neat and fun to play with, has all kinds of issues.

The Eco System thing sold me but with the state of this software, it's no more than a toy for me. I use it when I want to play. Feature film in VUE? Good luck!

dueyftw
08-09-2005, 09:25 PM
I am starting to rethink my pipe line. Not because Vue wouldn’t work but 3 more crashes with 5I. I have dEsprit for almost a year never crashed unless I caused it, and did some ok work with it.

The film I want to do has mostly vast grasslands set on high plateaus. Vue would be almost perfect for it. Now I’m leaning towards Carrara or Lightwave and using Vue only for the blowing grasslands and nothing else.

It just so aggravating that a product doesn’t work.

Dale

CiaránMurphy
08-10-2005, 01:11 AM
I'm gona buy Vue after reading their responses!

Ok I'm a Max user, paid about €4000 for it... so I'd expect it to be reasonably stable. I make architectural viz... and its quictime vr renderer crashes 100% at high resolutions. I submitted it on their online bug report form, offered to send them the files as samples... no reply!
I called them... "sorry you need to purchase technical support separately". I'm not even looking for tech support... I found work arounds myself ( no thanks to them) I'm simply trying to get them to acknowledge that the bug exists... no joy. It seems that E-on is doing a superb job and has a far better attitude compared to the supposidly reliable, dependable, big studio Autodesk!

Blaine91555
08-10-2005, 03:19 AM
CiaránMurphy,
Do you work for Vue???
E-ons tech support works like this -

They claim 48 hours - The best I've seen is six days for the first response.
They answer every question with a question no matter how detailed the information given.
That means another 2 days or so for another response which may or may not help with the problem. Then possibly one or two more exchanges taking days each. I think a wiser move would be to have live online support. Each issue could be dealt with with less manhours and a lot less frustration on both sides.

I currently use Infinite and Esprit as toys to relax. Vue is great for that. I would not use for a project with a hard deadline as of yet. I hope they get there. For the price it's abilities are reasonable when they work.

Vue has a genuine compatability problem with many available graphics cards ( I've tried it with 4 cards so far, and it has problems with all of them). As to the encryption issue - have a look at the Infinity Users Group at E-onsoftware. If what I'm reading is right, I would have to agree that it is a major mistake and would alienate most of there customers. The other problem I see is that it was released too early (probably to get it into the annual conference) and is pretty much a beta. I will allways be of the opinion that software should never be released until it is fully compatable with the OS and in general with an average system siting on a customers desk. It should bug free when release from beta. Customers time is as valuable as anyone elses and we should not be expected to provide beta testing services for free. Imagine if you bought a car that broke down as often as this software. Then the car company expected you find the problem yourself and then they mailed you the parts to install yourself. What would your oppinion be then?????????? Same thing. Exact same thing. I've decided it is probably best to lay Infinite aside for a few months and try again after it is truly out of beta. I really like this software but don't have time to deal with the problems. If there are no problems, why the large number of updates???

I did finally get a call from someone at E-on. I e-mailed directly to him. I got an e-mail back that my inquiries had been forwarded to someone else. The game seems to be placate, placate, placate.

swampthing
08-10-2005, 03:26 AM
I should probably stay out of this as i have a pretty poor opinion of the stability of vue, but it's always been a crashy app, even if it was out of "beta" as you put it, it's probably still gonna crash until they find the root of the problem, which obviously isn't gonna happen any time soon since vue has been a crash fest since the first version.

I will be the first to admit vue would be an awesome application if it didn't crash. I would also be the first to admit charging people for plants is freaking retarded and they seriously need to rethink that business model. I suspect they'd make alot more money if they just offered up a few plants free every month just to show some goodwill with the user base. That alone would tell me they aren't such a crappy company that i personally beleive them to be.

CiaránMurphy
08-10-2005, 11:45 AM
No I don't work for Vue! :-)

I'm a part time Arch Viz guy in Dublin Ireland... Maybe it was a little off topic but I wanted to point out is that even if you think they are bad they are a lot better that the "respectable" pillars of industry.
Some of the bigger guys won't even reply or talk to you at all unless you pay.
My day job is as a software engineer, so I would tend to sympathise with any company that is at least trying to diagnose a problem (even if it seems that they are always answering with a question...). My experience with small comapnies has been that they are more eager, more cooperative and are generally closer to the coalface, but some of the larger companies (my experience is with Autodesk) seem slower & cumbersome. E-on in this case at least communicated with the guy and while he may not be happy, they at least are communicating... In my case I was pointedly told that they wouldn't even talk to me!

Possibly these large companies do give the time of day to large studios, but they don't appear to be interested in the small guy.

mdunakin
08-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I was pretty amazed when I first emailed them with some probelms and
they replied right away and really stayed with me till my issue was resolved.
Normally, this isn't the case with a lot or most software comapanies.

And answering someone with more questions, is how things get figured out, really.
It's obvious they are tyrying to figure out exactly where the problems are coming from.
Not to lessen the problems he has, but at least he's not being blown off,
which has happened to me so many times in the past.

............md :)

richcz3
08-10-2005, 08:52 PM
I was trying to get a solution for volumetric clouds which I was unable to produce in Vue. So I stepped away from Vue for about three weeks. Then NewTek anounced their Lightwave 9 / Vue 5 Inf upgrade deal. So went back to Vues forums to see what I had missed. Low and behold its mayhem. So Vue implemented some encryption scheme in a patch that broke allot of Vue functionality.

Now I'm thinking, oh boy; NewTek has aligned themselves with E-On and Vue 5 Inf. Ouch! How long before serious LW animators get their copies then storm the gates? :eek:

Someone needs to get the word out NOT to update their copies with the latest patches.

mdunakin
08-10-2005, 09:03 PM
So, I'm still not exactly clear on what I keep hearing "everyone" going on about
Vue creating some sort of 'encryption' thingy, what exactly is that anyway?

Thanx, and my appologies if this has already been talked about somewhere.
I missed it or something?

...............md :)

richcz3
08-10-2005, 09:14 PM
One of their last patches installed an encryption scheme on user computers (so thats the understanding). The encryption was designed to protect Cornicopia assets from being distributed. It appears that the encryption (if you read the E-On forums) does a real job on the render cows and has comprimised overall stability. Since the debacle, E-On has posted and taken down patches. Irony is that the patch that threw the monkey wrench was not a Beta patch. Go figure.

mdunakin
08-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Ahhh... I'll have to find that thread at their site and read up on it.

As for the whole Cornucopia Plants bit, I'm actually quite dissapointed that they are
running Vue this way, in that "I" expected, when I bought Vue, that "I" was going to
be able to "create" my OWN plants right inside Vue, and then found out that the REAL story,
is that you ONLY get to edit premade plants and NOT create your OWN plants, as they imply.

As for them and creating their own plants, I have no problems with that aspect in
and of itself, but to NOT let the rest of us have that same ability is simply lame
and they truely need to rethink that whole issue.

That's like me creating Models in LW that no one else gets to do, and then selling them.
When the Modeler is meant to be a modeler and IF I want to THEN sell my created models,
I can still do that, not make it so no one else could try and create their
own models if they wanted to as well.

Doesn't add up, IMO.

.............................................md

DigReal
08-11-2005, 12:09 AM
LOL! Mark, how could anyone online not have known about the encryption disaster? The rage has been everywhere. :eek: I just wish folk would calm down and let the dust settle. I can't seperate fact from rumor anymore. What's strange for me is that the last beta patch I installed (859... the one that started it all) has so far been the best I've tried. Been setting up and converting all my Xfrog cacti since the weekend, and not a single crash. But then, I knew better than to buy anything from the store while it was still in beta. Maybe that saved me. (Dig will now knock on wood... if he can find some.)

A gotta agree about companies like Autodesk. Back in the 80's, I thought Autodesk was cool. Now I think they make Microsoft look charming.

And just for the record... I'm also very disappointed in Vue's plant editor. If they won't let me make my own, at least give me the tools to improve the existing stuff.

mdunakin
08-11-2005, 12:48 AM
OK, let me say this better then :)

What I was refering to not knowing what the scoop was all about with the encryption deal,
was exactly what you stated near the end of your message just now, which is that so far,
ALL I've heard from people has been mostly a lot of hysterical b*tching and complaining and
I tend to stay out of those threads and ignore them to some extent.
Yes, I have read a lot of people complining about that aspect,
but never could get any REAL info from all the BS I was reading.
BS, meaning, gripes, complaints, general overall whining and nothing really informative.
I can't amke any judgements from that sort of banter.

And yes, I agree with your comments about, at least let us have more control
over the current plant editing.

Kevin Sanderson
08-11-2005, 01:01 AM
I'm glad I take my time getting updates. I've missed all the controversy until the past couple days. So far, no problems with my older version which is once again the current version.

I've been burned too often in the past with the latest and greatest updates from other companies and even wait on MS updates to be more certain my system won't be hosed, or at least maybe have a better chance.

Kevin

Kevin Sanderson
08-11-2005, 01:19 AM
I have a feeling this will all get sorted out for the better. I've seen it happen with other software companies. A bunch of intense complaining from people, some leave in disgust, but end up coming back because they can't find what they want elsewhere. Meantime, the company fixes the problem(s). And then everyone is happy and productive again. The good ray of hope is that e-on does seem responsive so maybe the problems could be resolved sooner than usual. The time period I've seen in the past with other companies to get things fixed is 1 -2 years, but they usually weren't as responsive as e-on seems to be.

What we users have to do is let them know exactly what's wrong without going into hysterics.
We have to show them the problem(s) so they understand in detail, from the first message, not over several.

Kevin

Dale B
08-11-2005, 03:13 PM
OK, let me say this better then :)

What I was refering to not knowing what the scoop was all about with the encryption deal,
was exactly what you stated near the end of your message just now, which is that so far,
ALL I've heard from people has been mostly a lot of hysterical b*tching and complaining and
I tend to stay out of those threads and ignore them to some extent.
Yes, I have read a lot of people complining about that aspect,
but never could get any REAL info from all the BS I was reading.
BS, meaning, gripes, complaints, general overall whining and nothing really informative.
I can't amke any judgements from that sort of banter.

And yes, I agree with your comments about, at least let us have more control
over the current plant editing.

Steve Bell at E-on has made official what those of us who are modding over at the Cornucopia site had figured out long ago; the 'encryption scheme' was nothing more than an automization of the old registration scheme. The add on plants (like the walnut and orange trees) at the eon site were not 'buy and use'. They required a registration code/end-user liscence to be useable, and the reg code was derived from the application reg code you entered at eon's main site to even access that material. So it was 'encrypted...as in keyed off your personal copy of Vue. The content would install, but not unlock, until you entered the 16 digit registration code. For each plant speices you bought. And you usually had to wait 1-3 days to get that code via email. That code only worked on your copy of Vue.

The new scheme (which needs the 5.08 patch to work) was meant to remove the delay. When you download a content executable from the Cornucopia store, a key is embedded in the executable at the server side, and as before it is derived from the registration code at Eon's site. That executable shouldn't install the content except in the Vue app it was keyed to. No waiting for an email.

But.
The first 5.08 beta broke the export controls, locking all content from export. And the hysteria was off. The fact that many of the key people were at Siggraph, like most of the industry, only exacerbated things.

Currently the store is locked down, and the C3D mods and admins are testing the latest beta, and things will remain this way until we have things working, application and store side.

mdunakin
08-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Ahhh, thanx for that info Dale.

That's the most clearest version I've heard about what this whole ordeal has been about.

Thanx.
Though I must admit, it still does seem to be overkill to me.
And I also still wished they'd just let us do our own plant editing instead of having
to BUY more, when this program seems like it's meant to BE a vegitaion editing program.

And like Dig suggested, if they can't do that, then it would at least be nice
to have FAR more control over the editing of the premade plants.
Not being able to add more branches and things or the way the branches hang and other
such issue, is no fun.

Anyway, again, thanx for the decent info..................md :)

Dale B
08-12-2005, 02:23 AM
The inablility to save edited plants at the moment is a result of the busted 5.08. It also corrupted the rollback files, so that even if it seems that the rollback occurred, well....parts of it didn't.

When things are fixed, you will have the same editing ability that existed in Vue4Pro (altering parameters of existing plants, replacing the trunk and leaf texture maps and alpha masks, etc). It won't be an Xfrog, but who knows? Enough whimpering might just lead to a plug-in to actually create plants.

And just to be an utter brat, I have to say that the conifers are going to be worth the wait. 350,000 polys makes one hefty pine tree, and the tests I've run in Infinite have them bending as they should in the wind. Add the very low poly distant pines into the ecosystem, and you can really create a forest.... :thumbsup:

colkai
08-16-2005, 09:01 AM
will be going back and forth between LW and Vue and doing loads of compositing work,

Sounds cool Mark, would be very interested to hear your experiences, as I'm sure will anyone else who got the LW9/Vue5-I upgrade deal. :)

mdunakin
08-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Hey, colkai, did you get that deal also?
If so, cool!

And I'm kind of upset with myself right now, because when I woke up at 3:30 in the morning,
to check on how my Vue rendering was going, I was totally brain storming with all sorts of
really cool ideas, including some that were brand new ideas or other things you could do
with certain parts of Vue and such, and since I was already up, I figured, "what the heck,
I won't forget by the time I get up later" and just went off to sleep.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr........ because NOW I can't hardly remember what the heck they were!
I think I can only remember about ONE of the ideas I had, but at least it was one of the
more complex thoughts and will be something I think others will really be interested in?
It had something to do with the Vue/LW Synchro plugin, so I should hopefuly be able
to figure it out sometime if I dwell on it enough,,,, I hope LOL

Since I had already gone back to bed, I wasn't in the mood to get back up and write
it down or anything, so that's why that never happened, in case anyone
suggests I try that next time :)

I think I'm going to see how much it cost for on of those tiny little tape recorders,
or whatever they use now a days, as that way whenever I come up with killer
thoughts in the middle of the night, I can just talk them into the thing and hopefully,
that'll work for remembering things for me?

I sure am slapping myself now though.
I had some really cool ideas that would of made some great tutorials too!

Do'h! .........................md :)
P.S. If you have a suggestion on a recording device
(that's small and doesn't cost a fortune),
then let me know, ok?

colkai
08-16-2005, 07:06 PM
Hey, colkai, did you get that deal also?
If so, cool!
Sure did, having seen what was coming in LW9, I decided I would upgrade and the chance to play with Vue5 was a very nice bonus. Just awaiting my UK distributor now, as I'm also taking the opportuinity to upgrade to a USB dongle.
I'm kind of upset with myself right now, because when I woke up at 3:30 in the morning, to check on how my Vue rendering was going, I was totally brain storming with all sorts of really cool ideas, including some that were brand new ideas or other things you could do with certain parts of Vue and such, and since I was already up, I figured, "what the heck,
I won't forget by the time I get up later" and just went off to sleep.
Ouch! - I hate that, I usually do that with songs, have the lyrics and the whole chord structure stored from my dream, think "bound to remember this" - nope, by morning it's gone.
At least you're not alone. ;)

I must admit, I've often though of plumping for a voice-recorder, but for what they are, they are a rip-off. Don't think the wife would appreciate me firing up my studio at 3:00am as an alternative either! :p

mdunakin
08-16-2005, 10:42 PM
I must admit, I've often though of plumping for a voice-recorder, but for what they are, they are a rip-off. Don't think the wife would appreciate me firing up my studio at 3:00am as an alternative either! :p
LOL, yeah, I don't think she'd appreciate that at all! LOL

Well, I'm gonna hit up Radio Shack and see if THEY might have an el cheapo
that I can afford, since I don't need anything spectacular or whatever.

And I finally broke down a couple moths back, and upgraded to the new USB dongle,
though I have to admit, I had a friggin heart attack when I found out I had
to fork out $100 smakers for the stupid little thing!
What a total rip-off for something that I don't even agree should be there in the first place.
As in punishing honest people, by forcing them to HAVE TO have that stupid thing,
while the pirates get away with running LW anyway, "without" a dongle,
so it's obviously not a deterant.

But, I don't want to get off on that subject LOL

Anyway, side note for the others here, I was on the net all evening long doing stuff
and at the same time running Vue and actually rendering away my animation, all just fine.
With NO crashes!

Haven't put the frames together yet to view it, but I played the frames in ACDSee and all looked good :)
No flickering or anything.

..................................md :)

azynkron
08-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Personally I don't complain that much anymore.
When I have an issue with a supplier I give them a chance
to correct it within a reasonable time. If they fail, it's adios
muchachos and they will never do business with me again.

And these hysterical attempts to stop the software pirates
is hilarious. The only people that really suffer from those are
the real customers. The amateurs that uses the software
for amusement will simply wait for someone to crack the
security system (which will always happen if there's a demand
big enough) or simply say "Who cares..". And it certainly won't
stop the people that make money from using cracked software.

I tried to watch some videos on the MTV2 website some week
ago. After downloading "whatevertheycalledtheDRMthing" 4 times
and each time it crashed the Media player I simply said "Sod off!".
Too bad, actually, since they will lose money in the long run.
Yes, I actully filled out the form for reporting the crash.

I've worked with software development and I know that my view
might be a bit strange since I should agree with M$ and the others..
but the only thing that will stop people from cracking and leeching
are two things: 1. the price and 2. quality.
If the quality is good enough people are generally prepared to
pay for it. But seriously, here in Sweden a simple music CD costs
about 200 SEK (somewhere around 25 USD). It's hilarious.
And they wonder why people leech the mp3's on DC, Kazaa or
Torrents? I certainly won't pay 25 bucks for some crappy CD with
only 2 good songs on it. Sure, it's up to me not to listen to the
music at all, but if the CD would cost 5 USD I would have bought
it without a second thought.
The worst part of it all is the fact that 90% of those 25 USD ends
up with the distibutors. Not with the artist.

It's hard to compare product with a big price difference, but if
you compare it to buying a new car, would you accept "Sorry, dude,
but the back doors won't open yet.. you'll have to wait for the
patch.. Oh, btw, you can only re-fuel at Exxon.. otherwise your
engine will catch fire.. and I would be a bit careful when using the
brakes..". Yes, yes.. I know there's a big difference
between software and cars.. but technically we are prepared to
take more cr*p from a software developer then from, for instance,
a car manufacturer. And they know it. And don't try to tell me that
it's harder to program a OS than develop a new car.

In the end it's we that have the power though.. if we stop buying
lousy, buggy and half-finished games and other applications, then
we will put those companies out of business. It's all up to us.

Sorry, got a bit worked up here.. hehe

I am starting to rethink my pipe line. Not because Vue wouldn’t work but 3 more crashes with 5I. I have dEsprit for almost a year never crashed unless I caused it, and did some ok work with it.

The film I want to do has mostly vast grasslands set on high plateaus. Vue would be almost perfect for it. Now I’m leaning towards Carrara or Lightwave and using Vue only for the blowing grasslands and nothing else.

It just so aggravating that a product doesn’t work.

Dale

colkai
08-17-2005, 08:16 AM
I finally broke down a couple moths back, and upgraded to the new USB dongle,
though I have to admit, I had a friggin heart attack when I found out I had
to fork out $100 smakers for the stupid little thing!.
Ahh, the beauty of the LW[9] upgrade - free dongle swap, woulda been churlish not to swap ;) :D

mdunakin
08-17-2005, 08:39 AM
You're kidding me, right!?
You mean, I could of gotten the new type of dongle for FREE!?

Oh well, what's done is done LOL
Did you get to see my latest desert anim?

I also remembered, when I was compiling the thing into an animation,
what the scoop was that I thought of last night!
Totally cool idea that I can't wait to try out.
And I was amazed when I remembered what it was!
And I even sort of remembered some of the other things as well.
And now I won't forget them either :)

So, if my test turn out as I am sure they will, then I'll be posting up some new tutorials pretty soon.

...................md :)

colkai
08-17-2005, 10:11 AM
You're kidding me, right!?
You mean, I could of gotten the new type of dongle for FREE!?
Nope - not kidding, Newtek are offering the LW9 with free dongle swap, a first I think.
Probably summat to do with the 64-bit version coming out and the new batch of hardware tends not to have parallel ports anymore.

Did you get to see my latest desert anim?
Nope - I'll have to go look-see. :)

I also remembered, when I was compiling the thing into an animation,
what the scoop was that I thought of last night!
Totally cool idea that I can't wait to try out.

Good-oh! - I'm still waiting on my distributor as they say "something" is out of stock and they are waiting on Newtek Europe themselves, my guess is Vue5 stock has run out.

if my test turn out as I am sure they will, then I'll be posting up some new tutorials pretty soon.
Look forward to that Mark. :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2005, 10:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.