PDA

View Full Version : Rutger Hauer / Roy Batty from Blade Runner

Olmirad
08-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Hi all,
Here's a model I have been working for a few days, I've been thinking of creating this character for a looong time, just haven't had time earlier.

Character has only diffuse map as it's not going to utilize normal mapping or such effects. It could be used in ps2 or xbox,that's the framework used when I started working on this model. There's ~3600 polygons, with teeth, possibility to morph face and also rotating, separate eyes. Model uses one texture page for body, one for head, and one for parts with alpha channel...

Textures are hand painted and most of the time has gone into leatherjacket - I had to use quite a lot of time to figure out how exactly the cuts and details were on the jacket as there's really not that much material available on web and movie is relatively dark + low res of dvd doesn't really help. I spent quite a few hours checking movie frame by frame :)

Constructive critique and comments welcome!

Thanks,

http://www.cgmill.com/olmirad/20050807_rutger_01sml.jpg

requiem2d
08-07-2005, 07:59 PM
That's excellent, great stuff :D

blz
08-07-2005, 08:18 PM
nice one :)

Mastahful
08-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Great character!, i watched blade Runner lastnight, classic.

ArchangelTalon
08-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Ah, re-watched this the other night.

Great likeness, that's often a big problem with modeling celebrities.

Though if I recall, his hair should be very slightly blonde? More like a really heavily bleached blonde, rather than grey.

Robert-Fletcher
08-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Love that film n love this model. Fantastic work. the hair is amazing

AdamAtomic
08-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Awesome! I hand-painted a celebrity (er, minor) a while ago, I can totally sympathize with the time it takes! This turned out really brilliant, great job!

The face is just spot-on, totally stellar. I agree with Talon about the hair though, and I think his hands look a little bit soft/round right now, they don't seem to match the crisp and hard edges of his face. The features of the jacket seem too big to me - mmm like the stitched areas and seams and piping and stuff just seem to wide, they would look more natural if they were thinner I think.

Really ace!

Headless
08-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Excellent model. Really great likeness, good modelling and texture work.

The hand texture seems a little flat, and the leather coat may be a little too high contrast, but overall this is great work. :)

Olmirad
08-08-2005, 01:31 AM
ArchangelTalon: Yes, I know it's bit lighter in movie - I just wanted to leave bit more dynamic range, I tried brighter hair (more white) but it didn't look that good as it didn't catch light that nicely, so I ended up with the current color/brightness. Maybe I'll adjust it...

Hands are bit dull as they are in this current set of renders mostly in shadow. I guess I'll adjust light angle slightly later :)

The pipes in seams are thick in movie - Check near end where Decard's fingers get re-arranged :) There you can see that those pipes in elbow are atleast 3cm thick (alot thicker than fingers) and elsewhere the thickness is way more than 1.5cm.

RustyNail
08-08-2005, 01:38 AM
i love it man....make the coatand hair brown and add a sword and you got him in Blind Furry lmao ....great job:thumbsup:

ArchangelTalon
08-08-2005, 02:15 AM
ArchangelTalon: Yes, I know it's bit lighter in movie - I just wanted to leave bit more dynamic range, I tried brighter hair (more white) but it didn't look that good as it didn't catch light that nicely, so I ended up with the current color/brightness. Maybe I'll adjust it...
No, sorry, I didn't mean brighter, just more blonde (yellow). Rather than the greyscale that it is just now.

Olmirad
08-08-2005, 01:01 PM
ArchangelTalon: yep, well, anyway - It looked earlier like this:
I just didn't like the way it burns easily, although in flat / ambient light it does look more like the bleached hair Batty had in movie.

http://www.cgmill.com/olmirad/20050808_rutger_01sml.jpg

Nicool
08-08-2005, 03:29 PM
Great! Looks like a character of Blade Runner movie

CataFa
08-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Great model! The only thing that I think should use more work is the hands texture. The hands look a little bit flat, specially compared with the face (the best part :))

WHW
08-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Nicely executed and a close likeness. Perhaps a bit pink in the face and hands, but texture is good.

As pointed out by others, the hands do seem rather round, and the fingers in particular are like sausages (they're much thicker than those 3cm pipes on his coat :D)

May I suggest adding some dirt to his sneakers and possibly to the trim of his jeans? They seem unusally clean for someone that's been running and hiding from a Bladrunner. And some scuff marks to the coat would add so much! :)

skrubbles
08-08-2005, 08:08 PM
5 stars! Great job m8. Totally captured him with this model.... man, I need to watch that movie again :)

Boondock Saint
08-08-2005, 10:08 PM
nice model! can you toss some wires up?

the only thing i can really pick on is mostly what's been said. the hands mainly and i think i see a seam at the back of his head. other than that, i got nothin'.

nice stuff man.

Olmirad
08-11-2005, 12:25 AM
Boondock Saint etc: It's not "seam", it's alpha mapped layer of hair, which, due to lack of resolution, doesn't catch that kind of extreme light that well. It would look a lot better if I wasted more polys on the hair, made bit rounded edges like in some japanese games like doax etc. That way the hair would blend better in this kind of special situations (near light terminator). Anyway I will post some other renders later, just recovering from food poisoning here and not feeling that well at all... Probably weekend or so.

Thanks,

Tronno
08-11-2005, 04:01 AM
That's him, alright. I love the hair!

I, too, request a wire.

pimeto
08-11-2005, 09:26 AM
wow, thats realy awesome!
for a moment theare i thought this is high poly model :eek:

good job dude!

p.s. post some wires, if not problem ;)

Wildstyles
08-25-2005, 02:07 AM
Spot on! Great likeness! hmmm i have the Blade Runner soundtrack think iI'll listen to it...:thumbsup:

Norman McCay
09-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Man, the amount of details you were able to get in the textures are amazing. Very well done wrinkles. The model looks great overall!

FerdiWillemse
09-18-2005, 07:24 PM
That's actually the first time I saw a Dutch actor modeled. Very very good work, it really is him (in his younger years). Thumbs up for the model, textures and pose:thumbsup:

the rookie
09-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Great Job!! :D!! Man this really came out pretty nice, I swore that you had posted some wires earlier before on this mode but very good man!! Diffuse only? wow, but still good thoe, I'm trying to dive in and I'm still a rookie thoe but I'm planning to work on my Metal Gear Soild Mods soon, so I'm still learning some modeling techniques

CGTalk Moderation
09-18-2005, 08:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.