PDA

View Full Version : LCDs

lots
08-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Well I think I may be in the market for a new LCD. Actually my first LCD :P I'm a cheap bastard :)

So I wanted Opinions.. I was originally thinking of springing for the Dell 24" but I'm not entirely sure about the screen it carries, so then I was thinking about the 20" with the same screen as the Apple Cinema displays. Between the two, there is a fairly large resolution difference, which I would like to have.. But quality wise I'm not too sure about the 24"

Anyone with some hands on exp with the 24"?

I'm fairly decided about the 20" so if the 24" doesnt give the same quality or better, then I'll shoot for a 20" or two ;)

alanmac
08-07-2005, 03:33 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=265227

imashination
08-07-2005, 05:04 PM
The dell 24" has one of the best quality screens Ive ever used. the viewing angle isnt the best from side to side, but you wont have any problems with blacks and dark greys.

lots
08-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I saw that thread Alanmac :)

How's the ghosting/response time on the 24 imashination? Sure numbers are stated by dell, but I just wanted to know some real world exp with the thing :)

lots
08-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Found this:
http://www.prad.de/board/thread.php?threadid=18400

It's got some pics of the differences between the two screens, though I still really havnt seen anything that shows the difference between the refresh times..

SweetDreamz
08-07-2005, 10:41 PM
You'll notice alot more artifacts in pictures.

Err...right make sure your card can support it at native resolution.

whalerider
08-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Check out this review of the Dell 2405FPW: http://www.machome.com/reviews/0506/ultrasharp.lasso

imashination
08-08-2005, 12:21 PM
It has less ghosting than the apple screens I've used by a very large margin.. The only thing you might notice is that the light to dark speed is slower than the dark to light speed. A dark item moving along a mid-grey background might show this up. But still, it is the most ghose-free screen I've used.

Turboff
08-08-2005, 02:24 PM
This article at Tom's Hardware Guide may be just what you're looking for. (http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050706/index.html)

In the conclusion they say that they're supposed to be reviewing an Eizo and Apple display now, but I haven't seen the reviews yet. It's a pity, because I've previously heard that Eizo's are the best.

Anyways, in the conclusion for the displays that they did review, they recommend the LaCie and Nec for photographers, but the Dell for CG.

imashination
08-08-2005, 06:08 PM
OK, just a quick follow up post. Im starting to get hacked off with Dell now. Im on my third screen from them and every one has started screaming and squeeling after 2 hours......

novadude
08-08-2005, 06:40 PM
OK, just a quick follow up post. Im starting to get hacked off with Dell now. Im on my third screen from them and every one has started screaming and squeeling after 2 hours......

Call them and tell them you don't like it, and that you are on your third screen without a change in the problem. Dell stands behind their products, and telling them how much trouble you are having with the monitors could get you a decent discount. You should also be able to get the replacement cross shipped.

Joel Hooks
08-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Watch out for f*cking burn-in with these Dell monitors. I have a beautiful gray shadow of my taskbar and 3dsmax interface burned into the 2005FPW I bought last month. I am actually sitting here on hold with "support" right now.

MadMax
08-08-2005, 07:32 PM
sounds like the Samsung 213T might be a better way to go.

Dell may stand behind their produts, but if you are spending all your time cross shipping and waiting on the FedEx guy it isn't worth it.

The Samsung is under 700.00, 21" and I don't have any burn in on the screen or freaking noise.

It cost a bit more than buying a Dell with a coupon, but it works.

Joel Hooks
08-08-2005, 07:49 PM
"sir, please unplug your monitor and plug it back in and tell me what you see now"

"GODDAMNED BURN IN YOU BASTARD"

meh

It is so weird, and I don't really understand why this monitor would burn in like this. It has the "light leak" issues also, so in general I am disatisfied. I love the 2001FP that I have here at the office, but the 2005FPW at home is a severe dissapointment.

MadMax
08-08-2005, 08:11 PM
UPDATE:

A friend of mine bought one of these on a coupn deal. I talked to him just a few minutes ago and he is "pissed" at me for suggesting it to save him a buck.

Apparently he is having issues with his as well. When I asked, his reply was "geez Dell really sucks."

He wants me to come over and look at it. Pity, I was kinda looking to get that 24" cheap, but now I'm not sure.

Mahlon
08-09-2005, 03:04 AM
sounds like the Samsung 213T might be a better way to go.

Dell may stand behind their produts, but if you are spending all your time cross shipping and waiting on the FedEx guy it isn't worth it.

hey... wait a sec.....

Mahlon Bouldin
FedEx Multimedia
Memphis, TN

p.s. well, hopefully you don't have to wait on the fedex guy...:)

Mahlon
08-09-2005, 03:06 AM
seriously,

I am just in the way of purchasing a dell 24" or 20", so I'm gathering as much info as possible. Burn-in doesn't sound promising. but the price is so sweeet. May wait a few weeks...

Mahlon

MadMax
08-09-2005, 03:37 AM
hey... wait a sec.....

Mahlon Bouldin
FedEx Multimedia
Memphis, TN

p.s. well, hopefully you don't have to wait on the fedex guy...:)

Until you guys have matter transporters, and can deliver seconds after the package is delivered to you, waiting is inevitable and long when your system is down.

Still funny a FedEx guy was in this thread.

adren@line
08-09-2005, 03:53 AM
Get a Samsung with a PVA panel.

I have two of them (+ 1 more with a TN panel)... the 173p to be specific.

Colors are GREAT but there is a tad bit of ghosting.

novadude
08-09-2005, 04:42 AM
The panels in the Dell screens are Samsung panels :)

All monitors suffer burn-in to some extent. With LCD's it is not permanent*, and caused by the user displaying the same static image for hours on end. Seriously, turn the screen off or use an all black screensaver when you leave your desk for any length of time.

*so long as you haven't kept the same static image on the display after the damage has been done, the persistant image can be removed

huydoan.com
08-09-2005, 07:24 AM
here's about 3 days worth of reading for you:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=906

and here are some nice pics of some guy's dual 2405fpw setup

http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?t=268507&page=9&pp=11

imashination
08-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Well just before I was about to call Dell to get angry, they phoned me :curious: So I rather calmly told them that my third screen is now squeeling at me. Apparently they'll call me back tomorrow once they've looked into it.

deathman20
08-09-2005, 03:29 PM
I've heard horror stories about the 2005FPW monitors. The first rev's sucked, leaking everywhere and dead pixels all over the place. The second rev's which where released earlier this year prior to the 2405FPW's fixed the majority of the backlight issue but there was still some.

Now every 2405FPW I've ever seen in pictures or heard of on forums all over the place....
Zero Backlight Issues
Zero Dead Pixels
100% In Great Condition *except the minor drool on it that happened when they opened the box*

I personally will be enjoying one of these monsters in a month or so. Hopefully your issues will be sorted out with the montior though. From what I've heard Dell's very good at pleasing there customers on these LCD's for replacements if there is issues.

Joel Hooks
08-10-2005, 05:49 PM
I called yesterday at 4pm and my replacement arrived at 9am this morning. I can't bitch about that sort of service.

They said if I continue to have issues that I will be able to replace it wth a different model. I will probably go with the 24" if that is the case (assuming I can get them to give me a good discount)

I haven't been able to test the replacement (won't be home until later today). The box says "refurb" so that has me worried. My initial thought is that they are taking these broken monitors, fixing the problem, and then resending them out to us. I will post again when I have tested and such.

lots
08-11-2005, 08:51 PM
UPDATE:

A friend of mine bought one of these on a coupn deal. I talked to him just a few minutes ago and he is "pissed" at me for suggesting it to save him a buck.

Apparently he is having issues with his as well. When I asked, his reply was "geez Dell really sucks."

He wants me to come over and look at it. Pity, I was kinda looking to get that 24" cheap, but now I'm not sure.
Yeah, that's basically what's been troubling me about these displays. I've always had a bad taste in my mouth after thinking about dell, I work with enough of thier problems at work, I dont need to bring it home ;).

It would be great to have either the 20 or 24. I just would like to know the reliability. In either case, I always set my displays to black out after about 20 minutes or so, so I should be able to avoid the screen burns, assuming its not a failure of the panel.

I guess the biggest concern is that the panels are not the rejects from samsung's stock... That would explain build quality difference, if there is one.

I guess I'll have to think about the deal more :) Plus I'm waiting for rebates any how...

Hey MadMax, is that 21" samsung a 4:3 monitor?

MadMax
08-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Hey MadMax, is that 21" samsung a 4:3 monitor?

The 213T is 1600 x 1200

If you want a nice 6:9 (actually 10) it's the 243T.

EDIT: I have been reading online reviews of Dell's service and customer support. Not good at all. I wouldn't take the risk.

lots
08-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Oh, I've dealt with dell support before. Those 4 labs full of dells we have at work sure do like to die often on us ;) The advantage is, in the corporate env. they do deliver .. like next day for fixes and what not... But its fairly annoying the things break in the first place :P

I'll take a look at the samsung stuff out there :) I'm hoping to pick something up with comparable quality to a cinema display, without actually spending the mountains of money to actually get one :P

novadude
08-12-2005, 01:58 AM
Two tidbits to add:
1) many of the better deals come from small business, which has much better support than the home section
2) the 2405fpw uses an updated version of the panel used in the samsung 243t (lower response time and other improvements).

MadMax
08-12-2005, 02:44 AM
2) the 2405fpw uses an updated version of the panel used in the samsung 243t (lower response time and other improvements).

That is interesting.

I notice a LOT of 3rd party dealers/vendors selling "new" Dell components. Any idea what the scoop is on buying other than from Dell Direct?

PureFire
08-12-2005, 03:21 AM
How would you owners of the 2405fpw rate the colour reproduction compared to say a professional CRT ?

novadude
08-12-2005, 03:50 AM
Any idea what the scoop is on buying other than from Dell Direct?

If you mean the large amount of Dell products on ebay and such, just the effects of Dell's coupons :) If you have the cash on hand or you are willing to use your credit card, you could buy enough 2405fpw's when they go on sale and sell each of the extras for a profit of ~$50 each (of course the saps buying it at this price don't know about the coupons or missed out on the deal and are willing to take the next best thing). If you can unload enough of them on ebay/online store/friends you can essentially end up with a "free" 2405fpw. I have to say, though, I'd rather call Dell Small Business and get one with a warranty and 21 day satisfaction guarantee. There are numerous ways to get a good deal from them even without coupons (such as indicating that you might like to buy a Dell plasma if the monitor deal works out).

Mahlon
08-12-2005, 04:13 AM
Two tidbits to add:

novadude,
Is the Dell using a lower response time, or is the 12 ms they have listed a grey to grey response time? I can't find any real info on their site.

And a question for those of you who have the 2405fpw and using 3ds max -- if you'd do a wee experiment for us....

Set your selected edge color to pure black and make a light-ish grey material to apply to a model in your viewport (nice medium density model would do fine). Now spin 'round the viewport at a pretty good clip -- or just rotate the model. Is there noticeable ghosting? I ask because I had terrible smearing with a 20 ms Viewsonic last year. (and I like to have the selected edges shown in black -- I know, potential problems, but it's just easier to see what I have selected that way).

So, just wondering if this monitor does a better job, even though i suspect it may be a 16 (or 25?) response time white black white.

Thanks,
Mahlon

Mahlon
08-12-2005, 04:20 AM
Sorry, something went crazy and it posted three times....

Mahlon

Mahlon
08-12-2005, 04:20 AM
Same thing....

hopper2k
08-12-2005, 09:17 PM
ugh, i just noticed a pixel burn of the 3ds max interface here on the dell 2005FPW at work...

CGTalk Moderation
08-12-2005, 09:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.