PDA

View Full Version : regarding software update on windows xp

sherwinmagsino
08-07-2005, 10:18 AM
hi guys, im a mac user all my life and im having my first pc soon, weeeee:) im just wondering how the software updates built in on win xp works, besides the automoatic updates OS patches and updates, does it update graphic card drivers too? does it works the same with mac osx where it gives you the list of available updates for your system? or do i have to update it manually by going to the website and download the update? thanks in advance guys!!!

jcbray
08-07-2005, 10:41 AM
automatic updates is for the OS alone. Graphics card, motherboard, sound, etc, are all done indivudually by visiting the manufactures website. :)...Never used a mac, sounds like you've been having it easy ;)

sherwinmagsino
08-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the reply JCBray, yeah, mac updating stuffs very easy, its included on the software update feature on the OSX, i guess i have to get used to the manual updates on pc as soon as i have my first pc:) thanks again.

sherwinmagsino
08-07-2005, 11:58 AM
hi JC Bray, i think i have to get back to you, when i saw your reply, i see theres a lot needed to be update on hardware on pc, now im scared, DOOOOT. i think i need your advice/help, could you name me all the items(hardware and drivers) that needs an update:) beside the OS and software/application updates, and how do i know if my graphic card, sound, motherboard needs an update? im very new to the pc world so your advice would be much aprreciated.:) thanks again!!

jcbray
08-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Generally speaking, once your system is up and running, you can forget about drivers for a while, if you're feeling attentive, just check every couple of months for the updates :)

As for what you need updated. Motherboad (or Chipset drivers), video and sound (you may from time to time have to update other items, such as a tv tuner card,...umm, and any other devices attached :) but generally, video is the one people update the most.

This is ignoring OS updates, which, for microsoft, come out roughly once a month in terms of hotfixes. You may have heard of service packs for windows - those are much more spaced apart :) Xp which is years old currently only has two service packs.

A god rule of thumb is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and it applies here aswell. You may sometimes get improved stability or other benefits from newer drivers, and is sometimes worth loking into and experimenting with, but if it's all working great for you, don't rush outnto update as soon as :)

sherwinmagsino
08-07-2005, 01:26 PM
thanks you very much jc bray:) :thumbsup:

but generally, video is the one people update the most.---- you mean video/graphic card?

jcbray
08-07-2005, 01:28 PM
yup, precisly :)

sherwinmagsino
08-07-2005, 02:47 PM
ok thanks! 1 last question regarding the win XP service pack 1 & 2, is it a free update for microsoft costumers?

jcbray
08-07-2005, 02:48 PM
yep :) updates and hotfixes don't cost anything extra. You can have your computer tell you when updates are available (and what type (critical, software, etc) and it will grab there for you and install them :)

XanderFX
08-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Automatic update will recommend and download hardware driver updates as long as the vendor has had their drivers signed and certified by microsoft. My computer is always telling me there is a new driver available from Nvidia and for my network card. I don't like to update my hardware this way since I go by the "if it aint broke dont fix it" way of operating, and only update my drivers if I'm having some serious issues.

lots
08-07-2005, 04:06 PM
And actually, the driver updates that MS provides through windows update are often months old. So its best to stay away from the driver updates from MS. Really, its not very hard to maintain a windows machine. The auto-update keeps the OS in check, and drivers generally dont need to be updated very often, except if there's a problem (like incorrectly rendered scenes in video games, or staticy sounds, etc).

sherwinmagsino
08-08-2005, 01:09 AM
thanks for the additional info xanderfx and lots, that would be very helpful, im feelin much better now:) you guys rock!!! its always good to ask here at cgtalk:)

MadMax
08-08-2005, 02:07 AM
in general, it is bet to turn OFF automatic updates in Windows. It causes more problems than it is worth.

One way to really make life easy is to use AMD with an nVidia based motherboard. Preferably nForce4. WHY??

an nVidia based motherboard has almost everything you need built in. Lan, wireless, raid controller etc. nVidia puts out a "unified driver pack" which is all updates for everything in a single package. Except your video card drivers or components you add later. this makes life in general really easy.

Install a good Firewall. FYI Zone Alarm sucks. Sygate Personal Firewall has been the least intrusive and most transparent I have discovered, and it's free. Add AVG Free (anti virus) and you are largely good to go. I have not had a virus, hijack or anything else in years.

DO NOT USE Internet Explorer. It causes more grief than it's worth. Go with something like Firefox. It's fast, has tabbed browsing and pop up blockers, plus will allow you to block things like Active X which can deliver nasty things to your system.

enygma
08-08-2005, 04:22 AM
IIRC, the newer nForce chipsets starting from the nForce3 250 has hardware firewalls built in the ethernet controller. The only installation necessary is the NVIDIA firewall tool and it will allow you to adjust settings on your firewall. It is also tied with the Windows security center so if the firewall is disabled, Windows will let you know.

sherwinmagsino
08-08-2005, 07:16 AM
in general, it is bet to turn OFF automatic updates in Windows. It causes more problems than it is worth.

One way to really make life easy is to use AMD with an nVidia based motherboard. Preferably nForce4. WHY??

an nVidia based motherboard has almost everything you need built in. Lan, wireless, raid controller etc. nVidia puts out a "unified driver pack" which is all updates for everything in a single package. Except your video card drivers or components you add later. this makes life in general really easy.

Hi Madmax, thanks for the reply yes, the one im getting has NVIDIA nForce™4, does the Unified driver pack available on their site?

Regarding AVG Free antivirus, does it not affect the performance of the computer?
thanks in advance!!

sherwinmagsino
08-08-2005, 08:09 AM
The only installation necessary is the NVIDIA firewall tool and it will allow you to adjust settings on your firewall. It is also tied with the Windows security center so if the firewall is disabled, Windows will let you know.

Hi Enygma, where should i get the NVIDIA Firewall tool? thanks!

jcbray
08-08-2005, 10:32 AM
The firewall utility is part of the chipset (unified) driver - and only installs if you can actually use it I believe....I'm on the Nforce 250, but it's been a while...someone will correct if my meory's gown awry :)

lightwolf
08-08-2005, 12:23 PM
What problems?
The only problem is if you turn it off your windows box will be _much_ more vulnerable to exploits and virusses...
Most of the recent large scale virus spreads wouldn't have happened if people kept their OS up to date...

Cheers,
Mike

enygma
08-08-2005, 05:36 PM
I think the only issue I have had with not turning off automatic updates is that sometimes Microsoft feels that it should restart your computer for you. I dual boot with Windows and Linux, and in Grub, Linux is my default boot. I generally run Folding@Home whenever I'm not rendering stuff, which includes running it overnight. Sometimes, I'll come back to my office only to find that I'm now booted into Linux. I thought someone hacked and restarted Windows on me until I had a notification pop up saying that Microsoft felt like doing it. If that had happened in the middle of a render, I would have raged. Thankfully, that hasn't happened yet.

MadMax
08-09-2005, 06:59 AM
What problems?
The only problem is if you turn it off your windows box will be _much_ more vulnerable to exploits and virusses...
Most of the recent large scale virus spreads wouldn't have happened if people kept their OS up to date...

Cheers,
Mike

Rubbish. turning off updates doesn't make you any more vulnerable to viruses than if it is on. That is complete hogwash.

There may be any number of reasons why you might not want updates to be performed without you knowing about it, like oh say an update is made, only to find a few weeks later that the update caused a major problem of some sort, or greater security risk.

A decent firewall/port blocking and Anti virus will protect you just fine from all the vulnerabilities that Microsoft seems unable to control.

sherwinmagsino
08-09-2005, 09:07 AM
is there an option on automatic updates, where it will prompt you firs before you install it, so you could choose the updates that you only needs?

lightwolf
08-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Rubbish. turning off updates doesn't make you any more vulnerable to viruses than if it is on. That is complete hogwash.

No it isn't. A firewall nor a virus checker will actually fix any issues within windows, which is what the patches do.
There may be any number of reasons why you might not want updates to be performed without you knowing about it, like oh say an update is made, only to find a few weeks later that the update caused a major problem of some sort, or greater security risk.
That's why there are settings you can adjust, like the uppdater asking you before installing them. That is a lot different from completely turning it off though.
A decent firewall/port blocking and Anti virus will protect you just fine from all the vulnerabilities that Microsoft seems unable to control.
The anti virus will of course only help if you keep that up to date as well as allowing it to auto update, and if you keep it running all the time.

Using a browser and mailer other than IE/Outlook(Express) will help a great deal too...

Cheers,
Mike

jcbray
08-09-2005, 01:06 PM
is there an option on automatic updates, where it will prompt you firs before you install it, so you could choose the updates that you only needs?

yes there is :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2005, 01:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.