PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Modelling a Leaf in Maya

julnyapp
08-07-2005, 07:42 AM
I haven't been modeling anything for a while. I was just wondering what methods / techniques you'd use to model a simple leaf in maya.

I tried modeling a poly leaf using the create poly tool and then applying a planar projection on the object. But this result in having only the front side of uvs appearing in the UV texture editor. Is there a setting where I have to enable to allow the object to have both the front & back sides of uvs showing in the UV texture editor or do I have to model the leaf with another separate side of faces - so that the front & back have separate faces? What would be a simple, better way of achieving this? I would appreciate if anyone could help.

AmyScott-Murray
08-09-2005, 02:49 PM
I think you need actually 2 sides of faces. You could duplicate the object and go polygons > combine, then the merge edge tool to join it up. (Apologies if you already knew this :) )

julnyapp
08-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the helpful hint, amy_517. That makes sense, making a duplicate of one side & then combining them. Thanks again. My apologies for asking a silly yet simple question.
(its no wonder i didn't get any replies from anyone till now).

AmyScott-Murray
08-09-2005, 07:15 PM
NP :)

I can't answer that many problems that people have on here, so i always like to when I can.

Pete2003
08-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Actually, you can do this solely in your shader. Look up 'Double-sided Shading' in the Maya help.

Pete.

AmyScott-Murray
08-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Sorry, my mistake. :sad: you learn something new every day...

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2005, 11:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.