PDA

View Full Version : Reel :: Per-Anders Edwards

Per-Anders
08-07-2005, 06:15 AM
Here's my new developer demo reel, just showing various tools I've coded over the past couple of years (since I first started to code essentially), hopefully in a nice way.

Quicktime 26meg

Site 1: [removed to save bandwidth]
Site 2: http://jupiter.lunarpages.com/~perand1/c4d8/celery/reelweb02.mov (http://jupiter.lunarpages.com/%7Eperand1/c4d8/celery/reelweb02.mov)

Mirror 1: http://home.eunet.no/smilsett/reelweb02.mov (thanks to BiowaX)
Mirror 2: http://www.tutorialsmaster.com/per/reelweb02.mov (thanks to Chris and 3D-Palace)

Software Used : Cinema 4D, Bodypaint, Z-Brush, Photoshop, After Effects, FCE... oh and lots of VC++ ;)

http://www.peranders.com/gallery/images/showreel01.jpg

Note : The first two tools shown were coded together with Paul Everett, and the breast mesh in the Mesh Surgery section is from "Meg" by Bunk Timmer.

Obaid3DFX
08-07-2005, 07:19 AM
No comments...just great work man!

VC++
you mean you coded lots of these effects in demoreel :eek:

Per-Anders
08-07-2005, 07:31 AM
Thanks! And yup, the reel is showing plugins I've coded :) (of course i didn't code the models in c++ :D though come to think of it i did write a little Xref plugin for the splashes... though i never used it in the end )

jamesbarnes
08-07-2005, 07:36 AM
great work mate, so let me get this right, you are a programmer writing scripts for software??
did you do all the effects in the reel. like the water one , that was great.

oh and good to see you biggin itup for groove amarda

kyrobyro
08-07-2005, 07:45 AM
Reel Nice work
I really like the plane flying sideways in the WW2 enviornment
Keep up the good work

Per-Anders
08-07-2005, 08:02 AM
great work mate, so let me get this right, you are a programmer writing scripts for software??
did you do all the effects in the reel. like the water one , that was great.

oh and good to see you biggin itup for groove amarda

Thanks! Yup, not scripts, but full C++ plugins, although I do script as well when the need arises. And yes it's all my own work (apart from where I noted in the first post, though I should make it clear that I created all the Storm Tracer movies shown and about half of the Mesh Surgery "tutorial" style movies, Paul created the other half, everything else is all mine).

And you're the first person who's seen this who's correctly identified the track (strange as it's not like it's an unknown artist or anything).

hundredthirtyseven
08-07-2005, 11:33 AM
This node-based compositor inside Cinema is really great. When will it be out?

michaeli
08-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Wow, the reel looks awesome, great work and well done! :thumbsup:

Nice to hear MS is updating and look forward to the further news of these cool plugins!

ODoul
08-07-2005, 03:07 PM
A sublimely beautiful and artistic showreel. Made me want to buy em all.

ivanisavich
08-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Your technical achievements, combined with your contributions to the CG community (through the provision of these tools) are fantastic!

Great job!...you've inspired me to make more cool effects!

Andini
08-07-2005, 07:04 PM
It was a beautiful reel. I loved the music! The opening water dropping scene was fantastic.

Good work!

blz
08-07-2005, 08:13 PM
It was a beautiful reel. I loved the music! The opening water dropping scene was fantastic.

Good work!

nothing more to add :) great reel.im really impressed :)

Continuumx
08-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Beautiful and delicate piece Mdme Sadie!

You made my eyes water when I saw mesh surgery in use! Beautiful work!

Bravo!

Fre
08-07-2005, 11:59 PM
wow, beautiful reel !
mostly Impressive.

Erik Heyninck
08-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Plugin developers like you are the ones who keep Cinema moving on.
I'm looking forward to further information and examples.
We all missed MeshSurgery a lot, and it's good to see it's back again!

Per-Anders
08-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks everyone!

supremacy - The last few plugins are still in early beta and alpha stages, purely there as a taster, obviously when I am ready I will give out release dates and further more in depth information about those plugins, but only at that time, in the meanwhile you can at least see from the reel how theyr'e looking :)

SheepFactory
08-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Great job man! now code those nifty tools for xsi! :)

Stucky
08-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Well, here it is a showreel we dont see everyday. Very beatiful, and very original. Congratulations man. Are you working in any company? or you're looking for a job? cause your place is in the best 3d studios....Keep it up..

-S

whalerider
08-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Fantastic. I wonder, how many years of C++ experience does it take to write code that creates this kind of stuff?

mummey
08-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Nice work! See geeks CAN do demo reels! ;)

westiemad
08-09-2005, 10:39 PM
Sensational.

I'd loved it, and I had to watch it more than once to take it all in. I envy your abilities, but this certainly has spurred be on to do more API stuff in maya.

AnDy

StevenBHS
08-09-2005, 10:53 PM
WOW.... There is only one thing that stood out to me that didn't seem right. At the beginning, the water droplets seem to be breaking into all the same size perfectly round spheres. Believe me I couldn't create anything like this now, and it is a beautiful video. just an opinion :applause:

Nikorasu
08-09-2005, 11:10 PM
First of all, I love what you did for the demoreel. Those water droplets are an eye candy! At first I thought you used Realflow to do it, then as the drplet hits the surface, it cracked into solid matter. That single clip alone shot a bullet through my head. Ka-pow! :thumbsup:

Congrats, I'm looking forward to viewing your other reels in the future! :D

Joblh
08-09-2005, 11:29 PM
wow, this is one of those reels that stand out from the crowd! :applause:

thethule
08-09-2005, 11:37 PM
Nice work mate. Always said your work was very impressive. speak to you soon.

Marc

percydaman
08-10-2005, 12:31 AM
great reel! whats the actual name of the music track?

loocas
08-10-2005, 12:44 AM
Stunning! :buttrock:

Well worth the http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_5.gif :buttrock:

IL&M is waiting for you... :applause:

jtico
08-10-2005, 01:18 AM
Great work! Congratulations.

How much time did it take to develop this tools?

(*****)

rustbucket
08-10-2005, 01:54 AM
Absolutely amazing work!

IRML
08-10-2005, 02:36 AM
that's so wierd, I was listening to edge hill as I was downloading the movie, I paused it just incase the vid had sound, then when I pressed play on the movie the soundtrack picked up right where my media player left off :D

scary

nice reel btw :p

creepyalex
08-10-2005, 02:42 AM
amazing... what music did you use for that?

Per-Anders
08-10-2005, 02:49 AM
wow, i got on the front page! :)

ali - all in good time :)

stucky - thanks, yeah i'm looking for work at the moment (so anyone interested contact details on the reel!)

whalerider - well, i wrote mesh surgery 6 months after i saw c++ for the first time, and storm a year after that, so it doesn't take long at all!

mummey - geek! GEEK!!! chah i say! chah! :D

westiemad - I'm glad i inspired you :thumbsup:

StevenBHS - thanks, you're right but the rendertimes when dealing with the metaballs were already pretty heavy. I actually wrote a little Xref plugin specifically to allow me to do more intense geometry and simulation stuff there (and i did consider making a specific water isosurface shader for this too), however in the end time caught up with me, and i had to cease messing around, and get it done!

Nikorasu - I actually used Thinking Particles to do the water droplet sequence. It's a combination of geometry instances, metaballs, deformers and the pfragment node, oh and some texturing and simple matte work.

job - thanks :)

marc - cheers, looking forward to catching up with you!

percydaman - ta! the track is called "Edge Hill" and it's by "Groove Armada"

loocas - hehe, i wish :) fingers crossed!

jtico - jtico, mesh surgery and storm tracer each took about 6 months, spider has taken about 6 months; though really i've only been working on it for about 3 of those months, however it's still in alpha stages. doodlem the xref tool and the tension tag were done together in a week.

rustbucket - thanks!

itsruinedmylife - creepy stuff indeed! :D

creepyalex - see above!

D2F-blade
08-10-2005, 04:14 AM
that is fantastic! :thumbsup:

i saw u mentioned birmingham in there...LOL! i live there :applause:

Ego
08-10-2005, 05:26 AM
Great job Per!

Kragh
08-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Really nice...actually, really REALLY nice...

One thing....water falling from the sky does not have this streched shape, when watched in slow. The only reason drops has this when you watch them hanging, is because...they are hanging;)
Drops in free fall has the shape of a hamburger, more or less. Thatīs because of the air resistence, which squashes the drop. With no air resistence, it would be round. Never streched

But anyways, I have no idea if this is cool plugins, or if it hasnīt already been developed elsewhere in some form. But you sure has a lot of dramatic sense, and I was drawn into the screen....:D:D:D:D

BRAVO

Henrik

geis
08-10-2005, 10:44 AM
wow, very great work. the plugins and the reel looks great! awesome work :applause:

Imperial1983
08-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Holy sh*t!

thats amazing man! :bounce:

WHW
08-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Simply breathtaking! I'm talking from an aesthetic rather than technical (code) merit :D But that still kicks ass!

I particularly liked the node-based editor and the mesh surgery tools. Is that Cinema4D only, or will you extend it to other 3D apps? (Xteo's Xumi springs to mind...)

Absolutely dig the music though: http://www.peranders.com/music/music.php?index=8 (hope you don't mind the link here).

Rivendale
08-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Impressive! You've got some skills there man, good luck.

CML

Zorrino
08-10-2005, 11:58 AM
It looks impressive. I'd like to read the technicals in detail.

bloodw
08-10-2005, 01:28 PM
great job ! I know I liked this reel a lot that i've watched it a few times :)

Hawke
08-10-2005, 01:48 PM
WOW :applause: now thats a demo reel :eek: Love the water at the beginning :) Really impressive.

yxin
08-10-2005, 01:53 PM
awesome!!! canīt belive what i see!!! really some really great solutions for work with cinema4d!! 10p.....sit down!! :D

relief7
08-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Per, it is nice to see a td reel plugged on the frontpage as well as to see td reels posted at all (Maybe it is because I am also trying to go for td, hehe). Your reel is awesome and I really dig it. I think you are very gifted ! :applause::applause: Please don't tell you also made the music yourself !!!

What interests me most is - apart from your programming experience - if you have any mathematical or physical background that was helpful in creating the volumetric rendering system, for example.

I wish you good luck finding an appropriate job although I think you don't need luck at all ! :)

williamsburroughs
08-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Really beautiful stuff Per. As always, thanks for the great work you've done. It's made some of our lives a little easier.

Cheers!

two.oh
08-10-2005, 07:01 PM
There's not much I can say. I love this reel!

xtetra
08-10-2005, 07:42 PM
To say that this reel is Absolutely, Totally...Amazing doesn't even do it the justice it desrves. I am completely knocked off my mouse pad over here. Do you ever sleep??? I'd much rather have your talent and imagination than Bill Gate's money, hands down, any day of the week.

Lovely job putting reel together as well!

JDex
08-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Really great reel Per. Great showcase of a collection of great tools.

I second Ali's remark. Geterdun!

leigh
08-11-2005, 06:24 AM
You already know that I think this is a superb reel, but I thought I'd chime in on this thread and say it again :)
Really cool work, and I love the presentation. I will be very surprised if you do not receive a handful of decent offers from this.

Good luck :thumbsup:

neosushi
08-11-2005, 07:32 AM
This reel realy blew my mind out of the way. It's absolutely awesome man. I loved the water scene at the very beginning which you showed on your old website. I use C4D daily and i was very surprised you guys are experimenting with a Compositing Solution in C4D. This is an absolutely value shift for C4D Users. As i know it's quit difficult to post information on an early bird, i still would love to see some more depth information on "SPIDER" <- think it was caled so :) Anyway, you did a great job and you keep the C4D Community rising with you great tools, tips and plugins. Keep it up.

cheers
::neosushi::
www.neosushi.net

HWX
08-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Cool!wow nice work!!!

jddog
08-11-2005, 02:51 PM
The last few plugins are still in early beta and alpha stages [...]obviously when I am ready I will give out release dates and further more in depth information about those plugins, but only at that time [...]

first of: congratulations ! beautiful sequence... :applause:
Spider looks a real shake app fully integrated in Cinema, very interesting project... I will wait for more !

Julien

chalbers
08-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Hi Per !

Great reel ! :)

I told you it was important people to know you actually coded it all ! :)

Frank

pupii
08-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Nice reel, excellent renders, super plugins!
congratulations!

pupi

ernia
08-11-2005, 05:27 PM
EXCEPTIONAL!

ernia

forsakenproductions
08-11-2005, 07:45 PM
Bravo!

I'm not really a Cg artist, that's not where my talent lies, so heres my opinion from a filmmakers perspective:
Very nicely edited! Your timing as far as attention was great, and your timing as for as music was exceptional. Your "shots" were superb, they added a lot of perspective and depth to the world you were creating. There was actually a storyline to follow, unlike some demo reels that jsut show all the cool stuff they've done in random spurts.

In my personal opinion (all business and other things aside) it would have been awesome if you got a closeup of the WW2 plane and show the propeelors hit the rain drops. It would have been real neat to watch thsoe rain dropes explode against the blades.:)

Per-Anders
08-11-2005, 11:03 PM
thanks again everyone!

d2f-blade - thanks!

queensoul - cheers!

kragh - yup you're right! the water is designed to be aesthetic rather than realistic though in this case.

geis - thankyou.

imperial 1983 - glad you like it!

WHW - thanks, Spider and Mesh Surgery are C4D only currently. glad you like the music too :)

rivendale - thanks, i need it!

zorrino - there's info on mesh surgery and storm tracer availabvle on my site (link i signature) the rest will come as and when it's released.

bloodw - thanks!

hawke - yup, that's where the whole reel extended from

yxin - hehe, yeah i love making cool tools.

relief7 - nah, in this case i didn't do the music myself, it's groove armada (but on the storm tracer reel i did the music myself). and no, i have no maths or physics background, i have a degree in fine art :D (ok i lie a bit i was always fairly strong in the sciences, but i never took itbeyond the basic level).

williamsburroughs - no problem! :)

two-oh - thanks!

xtetra - lol, you know i love to use my talents and go and paint and so on, but just occasionally i think that money might come in useful! here's hoping this reel brings me some of it :D

Jdex - thanks, hehe i'll see!

leigh - cheers, i really hope that this will bring on the work :)

neosushi - i'm afraid i can't give much more info on spider just yet, but all in due course :)

hwx - thankyou

jddog - thanks!

frank - thankyou, and yes you're right! we should all get together sometimes soon now that we're all back in the bay area, have a meal :)

pupii - thanks a lot :)

ernie - thankyou!

forsakenproductions - thankyou, and yes i would have liked an extra cut or two in that sequence, maybe something lower down along the street with a deep focal shift from raindrops back to the oncoming plane, unfortunately i ran out of time! still maybe next time :)

neofg
08-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Nice reel, and wonderful music!!!
I have just a question... Do u have a wire of the start rain movie? How u made the surface where rain fall...It's so real.... I think a very nice idea....Particularly the breaking drop... :-)
Good art!

Per-Anders
08-12-2005, 09:50 AM
hi, the raindrops are a few simple geometry particle instances that go through a world space noise deformer (to get the ripple effect).

they then spawn a metaballs emission when they hit the procedurally textured stone surface.

the metaballs then spawn small sphere droplets when they hit the surface again.

then the breaking drop was modeled specifically with a certain cracking form unlike the other drops (which are just quick metaforms for a more even subdivision for deformation), and then used the thinking particles pfragment node to break up,

so it's really nothing that complex.

the background is several layers of simple noise textures animated with a vertical movement, over a simple 2d image (just a photograph). the DOF makes it appear like they're full particles, and only the front few drops are actual geometry.

there's not a lot to see of the mesh itself :

http://www.peranders.com/general/rainwire01.jpghttp://jupiter.lunarpages.com/%7Eperand1/c4d8/celery/rainwire01.jpg

Nedim_S
08-13-2005, 01:55 AM
Excellent. I just like to see it in higher compressed format, this is too low for my opinion.

nattnewman
08-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Great work mdme_sadie!

Hope you get plenty of great offers out of this :) :thumbsup:

Nathan.

manlio
08-21-2005, 02:14 PM
I missed this because I was away. Great as usual Per! :thumbsup:

marcom
08-23-2005, 08:13 AM
just discovered the link to your reel on the maxon page.

GREAT WORK! man!
wonderfull timing.

cheers
marcom

izarpicture
08-23-2005, 03:02 PM
bravo !!! :applause: it is very good work

Cactus Dan
08-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Howdy,

Excellent demo reel! :bounce:

I almost missed this thread.

That Tension Tag looks very interesting, especially for CA work. Can you give anymore information about that or is it still in development? I certainly would buy that one, too.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

iChiaz
08-24-2005, 08:37 PM
I dont say anything... just five stars only...

ISAF
08-24-2005, 09:01 PM
simply brilliant awesome job. I really liked the raindrups.

Rantin Al
08-27-2005, 03:18 AM
Excellent reel Per. I like your solution for the propeller blur. ;)
Was the avalanche just StormTracer or did you have any help from RealFlow?

The shopping list just got bigger. I'm overdue a present.
Cheers, Al.

Per-Anders
08-28-2005, 02:54 AM
Thanks everyone ! :)

Cactus Dan - It's basically done, I just have to release it, it's a very simple thing, should be out in the next couple of weeks.

Rantin Al - Hehe, the whole sequence has in fact been slowed to half speed to get a more high speed shutter in slow-mo effect! The avalanche was done using Thinking Particles. Storm Tracer isn't actually a particle system, it just renders on any object you place it on (particles, splines, geometry etc), though it can be used to fake particles systems along splines or via organic cloning.

Cactus Dan
08-28-2005, 03:04 AM
Howdy,
Cactus Dan - It's basically done, I just have to release it, it's a very simple thing, should be out in the next couple of weeks.
Well, then send me an email and I'll be your first customer. :thumbsup:

Adios,
Cactus Dan

Rantin Al
08-30-2005, 01:43 PM
it just renders on any object you place it on

Don't you love that word "just"? :eek:
In that case, I'll just be popping over to buy the thing. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Al.

projectk
09-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Excellent reel. Really. :)

hi, the raindrops are a few simple geometry particle instances that go through a world space noise deformer (to get the ripple effect).

Sorry to bother you with a question but where exactly is the world space noise deformer in cinema? It's not with the normal deformers, so am i right to assume this is a thinking particles thing? (which i have no experience with)

CGTalk Moderation
09-01-2005, 11:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.