PDA

View Full Version : Camera Timing Change Tutorial is Now Up!

mdunakin
08-07-2005, 02:39 AM
http://www.md-arts.com/Vue_To_LW_CameraSync_02_viewlet_swf.html
http://www.md-arts.com/CameraSyncIcon_01.jpg

And the Zipped file:
http://www.md-arts.com/Vue_To_LW_CameraSync_02.viewlet.zip

Comments and mainly, suggestions for better tutorials in this or any other areas, are very much welcome.
I DO learn very fast and will sure enough find things that need better addressing soon enough.
So, look forward to more tutorials later down the road.

Feel free to e me directly..............md :)
md@md-arts.com

Phoul
08-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Hello,

:surprised If I understood well your tutorial...
... there are also very quick and easy ways (only in Vue)...

Animation Toolbox (page 383, 384...) !
Take the last position keyframe. Move it at 30". Then click "Make Constant velocity function".

And also, the powerful Changing the duration (page 385).

;)

Regards.

mdunakin
08-07-2005, 06:46 PM
OK, thanx :)
Looks like I totally wasted my time on that tutorial LOL
Besides making myself look like an idiot who doesn't do his research thoroughly enough.

I kept asking people for help and no one knew of a way to do this.
And YES, I did go to the Animation Toolbox and found the part where it says,
Object animation length, but everytime I used the arrows to enter in my values,
it would NEVER excpet the values, and I mean, it wouldn't except any values higher
then what I came in with of 10, so I had to assume that it just didn't allow
me to create a longer animation or something.
Now I tried it again by directly typing in the values of 30 and hitting the Tab key
(I know I could of probably hit the Enter key, but I was afraid the window might close
and I wouldn't get to see what the results were, and that's why I used the Tab key)
that now it worked exactly as I wanted it too.
Grrrrrrrrrrr..........
And no, I didn't want the time to be Constant, as I had Ease-In and Ease-Outs.
But thanx for that info also :)

And the advice I was getting was to simply drag out the last keyframe and that was
missing the point of what I was trying to do, which was to drag out all of the
keyframes evenly as time got stretched out, which when I did a search
for any of this sort of info, I found none.
As for page 385, it has the first sentance cut off, reading as thus:
"If you want to modify the duration of an animation while keeping"
and that's the end of that sentance.

My question would now be, does the Help File under the Animation Menu match the Manual?
Since I was unable to find any wording that would of worked for what I was searching for.

Trying to read through the manual is far more of a pain, as I think anyone who has tried
to read it can say, that it constantly keeps refering you to OTHER pages for more info
and never just keeps the info in one place, or at least it doesn't consolidate things very well.
I keep reading stuff, and no sooner do I start, then it refers me to some other page,
which when I get to THAT page, I am THEN refered to some other page and then to
another page and another and so on and so on for seemingly enterinty.

I don't mind references, but that gets anoying fast.
And thats why I prefer the computer manual over the printed version,
since I can do a search, and then, even if there are lots of referals, they're all listed
in the one search and I can then quickly scan to see which info I am interested in.

In any case, now my advice to others will be instead of that tutorial I just wasted time on
or even reading any manuals of any kind, just beware that arrows do NOT always work.
Because it turned out that I HAD been looking right into the face of the cure for my
timing problem, and never knew it, because the arrows didn't let me enter in the values
I wanted, so that threw me for a major loop assuming that it just wasn't possible.
So, in otherwords, I WAS looking at the correct place to change the timing, I just
wasn't smart enough to realize that I should MANUALLY enter in the info.

Well, thanx for this info :)
Too bad it took me this long and many, many hours of wasted time,
just to find out that it was something this lame.

Wished you were around at the start of this, though it looks like no one understood what
I was after anyway, so I dought it would of been much help either way. And since no one
knew what I was trying to do or that the arrow keys DO NOT let you enter values higher
then what you come into the Animation Toolbox with, it wouldn't of mattered anyway, I guess.

Now it's time to go back and edit out that link, so I don't waste other people's time, like I did mine.

What a pisser...................md

Phoul
08-07-2005, 06:53 PM
The tutorial you made shows how to use Synchro! That could help.
Thanks to share.
:thumbsup:
Regards.

Phoul
08-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Important Trick... about change duration...
Reset Time Spline (right click on tiny white filter in the timeline)
before clicking on Make constant Velocity.
Or click twice (2 clicks).
:thumbsup:

mdunakin
08-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Thanx for being polite, but let's face it, I could of done better then that.

I agree about the bit that it at least shows people how to use the Synchro, but!,
I'd rather show them something USEFULL on how they can use that great plugin.
And I WILL do that, probably soon enough, but for now, I've scratched it.
It's an embarrassment to myself.

Ha!, maybe I'll post a tutorial letting people know how to do this deal anyway,
since apparently, no one on the planet (other then until you came along now)
knew how to do what I wanted or at least understood what I was trying to do,
or for that matter, no one knew that the arrow keys won't let you enter in
values higher then what you come into the Animation Toolbox with.
If it had, I never would of had to deal with this problem in the first place.
They (Vue) needs to FIX that.
Try it people.
Set up your animation to 10 seconds.
Select the Camera.
Open the Animation Toolbox.
Now, TRY and use the ARROW KEYS to UP the value to ANYTHING HIGHER then 10.
It won't happen and it won't let you.
The ONLY WAY to enter in a value thats higher, is to manually enter it.

..................md :)
And just to be clear, I wasn't trying to get a constant velocity.
Only trying to move all the keyframes evenly as I stretched out time to slow things down.
But thanx for the tip about R-Clicking to bring up that menu to change settings.
Actually, thats what I like so much about Vue, is it's simplicity, for the most part that is :)

DigReal
08-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Hey Mark, sorry to hear you went thru all that, and that you feel you wasted a lotta time. Also sorry I missed the tut before you scratched it... bet I could've learned something from it. But don't look at it as a waste of time.... I'm almost positive you learned about some Vue weirdness you wouldn't have otherwise. Like the part about sliders not going as far as manually typing in a setting. I've run across a few tools in Vue like that.

For what it's worth, I don't get along with that manual either. Seems like all it does is tell me what something is... not what it does or how to use it. That's where tuts come in useful, they explain what something does or doesn't do.

mdunakin
08-08-2005, 01:23 AM
OK, since I've gotten several great opinions and reviews about the tutorial, I've decided that Phoul, and others who mention the same or similar things, that it will at least get people familiar with that awesome Synchro plugin, that I'll post it back up.

I've decided that while it's up, I can work on a better version that will go further in depth and show some better uses for it and post that up soon enough.

And yes, you are right, I guess it really wasn't a waste, as I truely DID learn a heck of a lot from creating it as well as all the research I put into figuring it out as well as some other things I found along the way.
So, it's posted back up for now at least.
As soon as I can get a better version made, I'll let you all know :)

So, I just reuploaded everything and will also post the zip file for anyone who wants to download the Flash tutorial for whatever reasons.

Just give me a minute to edit that post.

Sound cool? :)

Ok, let me get it edited then...................md :)
Christie (Cornucopia) loved it when I showed it to them, so that was part of my reasoning to change my mind as well as some others commenting on it.

mdunakin
08-08-2005, 01:30 AM
For what it's worth, I don't get along with that manual either. Seems like all it does is tell me what something is... not what it does or how to use it. That's where tuts come in useful, they explain what something does or doesn't do. Exactly! :)
And anyone who knows how I like to create tutorials can tell you,
I like the SHOW rather then the TELL when it comes to tuts, i.e. visuals.

...........................md :)

DigReal
08-10-2005, 02:08 AM
Thanks, Mark. I'll be tied up with the cacti/ecosystems thing for at least another week. But then I want to visit this subject. Should be FUN, right? ;-)

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2005, 02:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.