PDA

View Full Version : Foot Roll on an Albee Rig

Puffin
08-07-2005, 01:29 AM
Im working through Tim Albee's book on Character Animation in LW 8 and find that his rig set up is effective and simple to use. Only problem I'm running into is the feet. I can't figure out a way to control or recreate a foot roll. Since there isn't an IK chain in the foot, I cant keep any sort of realistic traction and roll of the foot during a walk cycle. I've never tried to animate a character without the IK chain in the foot, so maybe theres a trick to using an FK foot setup that I don't know about.

I know there are a few people here who have this book, and am interested in seeing what you might do to help keep the Toe Bone planted and the Foot Bone rotated during movement.

evilemil
08-07-2005, 09:05 AM
hi puffin,

You can find a proposed setup in the book under the section Plantigrade Modifications (Version 7 book, Chapter 15.2) if you are really interested to use this solution.

If you own the LW8 version, it might be in another chapter, but i think Timothy was wise enough to keep the naming the same. :)

Have fun,
Michael

Puffin
08-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the reply. I saw that chapter later on in the book but had assumed it was only for quadraped / deg leg setups. Haven't quite gotten that far in the book... but I think I will jump ahead and check it out. Thanks much for the info.

Puffin

CGTalk Moderation
08-07-2005, 03:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.