PDA

View Full Version : problem painting weights

skater363636
08-06-2005, 11:45 PM
i'm currently working on a dragon and i'm painting the skin weights to it. I'm having some trouble with the wings and tail cause the tale was effecting part of the wings. I was able to fix one with normal skin painting but the other i'm have problems with one joint an it's giving me a warning msg of "Specified weight could not be set due to locked influences." Can anyone let me know what I need to do to fix this. As i said the other side didn't have any problems.

jaykushwara
01-24-2006, 03:42 PM
I've run into this too on a few ocasions and have a case now where I have no idea what the locked influences are. I have a stray vertex due to copying weights to a modified version of the original weighted mesh. I've used the TGL hold script to lock all weights, selected the vertex and opened the component editor. Set view option to hide zero columns and I've got three to four joints displayed. My "Body_J1" joint shows a 1. influence (not what I want) - with the other few all showing zero (or blank). I've turned hold off on "BodyJ_1" and "HeadJA_1", select the "BodyJ_1" field and type "0". The "specified weight could not be applied due to locked influences" msg. pops up. Trying a "1" value in "HeadJA_1" field does the same.
Switching back to "hide zero colums" shows three joints - "Body_J1" (1 value) and two hand joints with blank values. The hand joints give me a "not influence for this object" message as expected but still show in the component editor when set to hide zero colums. Max influence is set to 3 on the skin. Any suggestions ?

jaykushwara
01-31-2006, 07:17 PM
Duh.....finally figured out that if max influences is set to 3 for the mesh then you have to have 3 influences unlocked to adjust weights - or at least that's how it seemed to finally work.

skater363636
02-01-2006, 04:57 AM
thats what i had been thinking my problem was but i haven't tryed in a little bit because i'm reworking my model a little bit.

jaykushwara
02-01-2006, 05:12 AM
skater,

I've also run into some spots where weights get thrown around in odd ways - especially when smoothing. I've checked this in the past by setting the display value in the paint skin weights tool to min."0" and max. ".1" or lower so any value no matter how small is bright white in the display - that way you can scrub through your weights and see if there's a missed locked influence causing the error. Best of luck when you get back to it !

CGTalk Moderation
02-01-2006, 05:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.