PDA

View Full Version : Question on the creative process

Adriana
08-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Hi Everyone -

Newbie here. I'm an artist who is in both worlds: the traditional media and some new media I mainly photoshop work and some flash, but not nearly as refined as what I see here, the real talent. I must say I am quite impressed.

My question to everyone here: the digital artists, and for all media: -- multi media (animation and sound) when you want to create an image (static or moving) do you think in terms of pixels and grids (x,y,z) or does the image come to your mind more organically (dreams, or spontaneous thought in your mind).

Seems to me that art is a language, and each different art is a different language. For people who speak different languages they think in that language. And am curious in the world of full digital art if there is a different way of thinking in this creative process. I would like to get some kind of concensus of the approach and visual challenge.

I hope this question does not sound too silly. Thank you in advance.

Adri

DaddyMack
08-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Hi Adriana... I too am enjoying the best of both worlds (I have a drawing table next to my computer and brushes and paints are always within reach) I think that my inspiration drives my creativity much more than my understanding of the media (tho it helps 'course). The desire to express aspects of life, especially now through 3d and animation is, and has always been paramount in me... I do often need to figure how to achieve a goal within the media, that my creativity has set, but I guess without that initial inspiration... There'd be no goal set... Know what I mean?

BTW, weclcome to CGTalk:wavey:

Samanthie
08-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Hi Adriana,

I enjoy creating both traditional and digital art and I combine the two. My ideas are from my imagination but can also be inspired by places I visit. I look for things in nature like mossy growth on rocks, old trees and overgrown areas with weeds and shrubs. When I get an idea I usually sketch it out on paper before I begin the digital process.

Adriana
08-07-2005, 12:42 AM
Hi Adriana,

I enjoy creating both traditional and digital art and I combine the two. My ideas are from my imagination but can also be inspired by places I visit. I look for things in nature like mossy growth on rocks, old trees and overgrown areas with weeds and shrubs. When I get an idea I usually sketch it out on paper before I begin the digital process.

That's interesting -- starting from the paper to the computer, essentially being visually bi-lingual.

Chris_Bolton_NSM
08-09-2005, 12:00 AM
inspiration -> quick sketch -> annotiations/creative writing -> maybe a painting or a more detailed sketch -> then the 3d process begins for me.....

i create sketches that help me create my 3d models -> then on paper, or with a camera, plan my composition -> then in the 3d aplication create the scene..

in my opinion, all art be it, traditional, digital, in all mediums can benifit the finnished piece.
After all, what is art? expression of emotions, feelings, thoughts, art is a language :D

i think with all artists, the inspiration and picture of their piece in their mind, would be very abstract, art is just a way of portraying these abstract forms/thoughts into actual things that can communicate deeper than words to the people that view the piece, in my opinion, the more media you introduce into a piece of art, the better you can communicate what you truely want to portray.... hope that all made sence! lol

so ya to answer ur Q. i think the x.y.z coords would be a way of building the piece, and the "dreams, or spontaneous thought in your mind," are like the 'big bang' that starts the ball rolling :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2005, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.