PDA

View Full Version : God of War characters

louis
08-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Hey guys,

It's been about one year and half that I didn't post anything to any forum. Since God of War has been released, I finally got something approved to post :). Below are part of the characters I created for the game. All models were done within Maya but I used 3DS Max for rendering due to known it better...It's a shame no wireframes or texture maps can be posted at this point but I put poly counts and texture size information for instead at the left bottom corner on each image so at least to share something to you guys.:)

C&C are welcome. Thanks!

for in-game cinematics:
http://ln3d.com/gp/images/gp17-14.jpg

http://ln3d.com/gp/images/gp17-13.jpg

http://ln3d.com/gp/images/gp17-11.jpg

http://ln3d.com/gp/images/gp17-12.jpg

louis
08-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Boss class characters:
http://ln3d.com/gp/images/gp17-15.jpg

http://ln3d.com/gp/images/gp17-16.jpg

http://ln3d.com/gp/images/gp17-17.jpg

louis
08-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Ceatures & misc:

http://ln3d.com/gp/images/gp17-02.jpg

http://ln3d.com/gp/images/gp17-03.jpg

http://ln3d.com/gp/images/gp17-10.jpg

http://ln3d.com/gp/images/gp17-18.jpg

CG-Gordon
08-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Wow these are great, i was just admiring this game last week, its really great to see an artist post stuff produced for it. Thanks for posting the polycounts too, very interesting! Wonderful job.

Gordon.

AdamAtomic
08-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Absolutely 100% awesome! The armored minotaur is totally sweet, I love the over-and-under look you got on the muscles. The cow monster with the giant axe is badass too. The old man's face is amazing, that is really inspiring stuff!

ArchangelTalon
08-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Incredible work, both texturing and modeling. Quite a huge difference in texture area between the grunts and the bosses, too.

But... what's the deal witht he guy in the cow suit?

jOBe
08-06-2005, 07:56 PM
those models are really really tight. Love the expressions on the characters, especially the first two are great in Texture, Lighting, Mesh. I dig those, really good work.

hanzo
08-06-2005, 08:00 PM
louis awesome! your textures max man :thumbsup:

bcairns
08-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Wow these are definitely great! Very inspiring stuff. I especially like the armored Minotaur boss. :thumbsup:

ScudzAlmighty
08-06-2005, 08:16 PM
wow, that was one of my favorite games in recent years, to see these posted here... wow.:applause:

the minotaur was one of the coolest bosses/moments in the game... well except for scalling Cronos but that was a cut-scene

again... :applause:

Saramago
08-06-2005, 08:44 PM
The game was awsome and so are these renders. You set the models up really well it does a lot to show them off. Thanks for sharing very inspirational. Gonna hurry up my current project and get back down to some character modeling.

blz
08-06-2005, 08:50 PM
awesome stuff :)

mackster
08-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Very nice! God of war rocks! :bounce:

wanzai
08-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Those aren't the texture sizes used in the actual games, are they? 2x 1024 on the PS2? I'm surprised about the polycount, too. 2215 for the undead soldier? Not questioning your skills (I guess you just worked within the budget), but the Santa Monica Sony guys must have really pushed the machine's limit.

Anyway, the renders are nice and show the models better than ingame -of course. While I don't like the Oracle, for instance, I find the Minotaur boss really awesome, on the other hand, also gameplay-wise.

I have always liked your stuff, nice to know that you got to work on this high-profile game. It's rare to see top artists from Taiwan, too. (I'm myself from Taiwan, not saying I'm top, though...).

Keep it up.

LiquidMetal
08-06-2005, 11:52 PM
i think reasons for the high polycount on some of the models is because they were for cinematics.Too bad you cant show wires because those modeles kick major ass!!GJ!You are my favorite artist as of today :)

Headless
08-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Incredible work. Flawless stuff. :applause:

dpizzle
08-07-2005, 01:16 AM
good god...
these are awesome.
i love the old man with the shovel... he was so cool lookin in game.

very nice!

Lee3dee
08-07-2005, 06:26 AM
thanks so much for posting these. Saves me from unlocking the artwork on in the game. :). Are you in the video for the making of god of war :D

louis
08-07-2005, 07:19 AM
Thank you guys for the great comments and 5 stars, really appreciate that!!:)

ArchangelTalon, the cow suit is one of the extra costumes you could play with after beat the game once. Hmmm... seems like I should hold it back and let it be the secret as it should be...:rolleyes:

wanzai, good question! Actually for cinematics models, 1024s were my working size, we used 512s in the game. Because I like how they looked with the 1024s on so I used them when rendered these images:) . But besides those cinematics models, the rest of the models are showing real in-game ploy counts, textures and texture sizes. Due to the way ps2 and our engine works, poly count was not a big issue to us, they love polys. For a skelly type of creature, 2k -2.5k polys was our target range, anything important than that goes higher poly count. But for textures, that was an other story...I have to pack everything(including weapon) in one 256 texture for a ground level creature... that was something I don't really enjoy that much...especially when most of the artists are doing multi-pass + hugh size textures at this point...:sad:

Lee3dee, hey, good guess... I was in the vedio and said something stupid like..."Alpha, baby"...heheh...

johnwoo
08-07-2005, 08:50 AM
Superb artwork louis!...I loved that game and just how cinematic it felt, I had me hooked for ages, definitely gonna keep me eyes on the sequel also...btw did you also create the hydra..or was that another artists task?...I aree with the previous comments about the quality of all these characters...they rock!!...jeez..it reminds me yet again it's not 100% all about normal mapping, although it's a useful tech imho these characters are WAY more descriptive and full of character compared to quite a few characters I have seen use OTT use of normal mapping....again absolutely fantastic work :thumbsup:

JaMo
08-07-2005, 09:04 AM
sweet models dude. i plan on picking this game up soon. great work.:thumbsup:

wanzai
08-07-2005, 09:50 AM
yeah, after posting I checked out your site and realised that the huge textures are obviously for the cinematics. I work often in double resolution too, should have guessed it.

How many polys does "normal" Kratos has? 4000 something, too? By "segmented character", do you mean all vertices are weighted with one bone only? How many bones do enemies and Kratos use?

Thanks for sharing!

AndyH
08-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Outstanding work! I didnt much like the god of war game (too frustrating, and not as good as devil may cry 3) bit i thought the graphics were great. The hydra boss fight was awesome. Amazing characters you have here. My fave is either the muscly minotaur or the green greek woman - her face is brilliant. I think it was a shame that the cutscenes werent real time though.

Any chance of seeing the wires? Id like to see how many polys a current-gen PS2 character can have.

I smell a front page....

MFTituS
08-07-2005, 10:35 AM
i have seen a vid of the game and fall in love with the graphics. first i have to lend a ps2 from a friend to play it, but it definitly is on my wishlist.
great that you have posted some of the creatures and chars.
i like them very much.
your materials are a bit too monochromatic, same on the faces and some parts are too pixelated, would be better to have the big low resoluted parts more plany than grainy.
but overall just great art. same top quality on your unreal2 models on your page.

and the idea with the cowcostume is great - haha, have to see it in the game.

how long did it take you to make a normal char from modeling to texturing?
have you made the design also on your own or have you get concept arts for this?

i think you should post it in the final 3d section to get the chance for a front page plug....

kaisasose
08-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Absolute quality! I really dig the first guy with the shovel, loads of character! They have to dish out a Front page for this...:thumbsup:

Mastahful
08-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Fantastic work, still havenít had a chance to play the game, but heard so much about it ill have to give it a go...

TwitchyHamster
08-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Game was great, the graphics were amazing so kudos to Louis for sharing with us!

-Twitchy

Gaboon
08-07-2005, 06:00 PM
They are all awsome!! I am sooooo inspired and thank you soo much for giving that to me:)

louis
08-07-2005, 09:42 PM
wanzai, although I'm not sure the actual poly count of Kratos but it's around 5500. Our engine don't like joints and heavy skinned objects like most of the 3D engines do. To save the per frame calculation of joints/skinned, sometimes we just let the geometry segemented and parented it to the joints a little bit like PS1 games did. It sounds crazy but that's how we did...plus PS2 love polys, so we could use polys and textures to hide the unnatural looking in between the parts. If hide it well, it looks like a skinned character in the game... :rolleyes:

Andy H, it's a shame that I can't post wires or textures at this point, my boss only approved me to post those renders :sad: . I should work on something for myslef more from now on so that 100% no worries when posting next time...

MFTituS, many thanks for the great comments. Monochromatic colors is my weakness right now. Maybe because the proccess when create textures I always let the noise map be gray scale so that takes away the variety color it should be. I'll put more attention on this.:)

Do I have to post it again to the 3d section or is there a way to link this thread to there?

mindrot
08-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Hey Louis... I've been wondering what you've been up too. Congrats on the amaizing title. It must of been a real experience working on it?

Damn!! Now that's quality work.

Absoulutley perfect work. I finished playing the game a couple of weeks ago and I have to admit it is one of my alltime favourites. The gameplay is amaizing. Visually breathtaking with a fantastic story. I love the cinematic quality of the game as well.

From what I could tell during the interviews of the disc, there will be a follow up...eh...hint-hint??!!

Beautiful work :thumbsup:

Is that Kratos in the Cow suit?

~G~

Jason-Lavoie
08-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Wow dude, incredible...

I remember (this was not long ago) when I was over at my friends house, and he rented God of War (amazing game by the way) and first thing I though (because I do model and what not) is that the graphics are superb, but the style was nother I have seen before.... and then we came against that GIANT crazy bull, MAN OH MAN, that (to this date) is the BEST model I have seen on PS2, I was floored... lol THEN once you break the armor.... HOLY crap... it was flawless dude.

You are an inspiration, and an AMAZING artist.

Congrats on one of the best PS2 games I have played!

Guy In Rubber Suit
08-08-2005, 06:39 AM
Wow those are amazing. First off, I love the game, got it for my birthday and I must say that is one of the best 3D action games in existance. Everything is almost perfect and done so very well. While playing I was admiring the artwork going in here and it's cool to see an artist from the game post here.

A couple of questions: How long, on average, did it take you to model the characters? Do you have any formal training? What other games have you worked on?

mindrot
08-08-2005, 08:05 AM
Congrats on the front page. Well deserved. Now post in the finished 3d gallery :thumbsup:

WHW
08-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Me like. Lots. And lots. Absolutely amazing models and the textures especially. And congrats on the front page, five stars, w00t-age and on and on... :bowdown:

As expressed by others, we gotta see those wireframes, especially for the minotaur boss - significant increase from 7394 to 13454 between the armoured and non-armoured, but definitely worth it :applause:

Prs-Phil
08-08-2005, 09:08 AM
awsome stuff, I love how everything fits together.

louis
08-08-2005, 08:21 PM
Thank you guys for like the game and my works, I'm so happy that I could get the frontpage plug!:)

Guy In Rubber Suit, for a ground level creature like skelly they usally gave us about 3-5 days to worked on. For a heavier or more important characters we had 5-10 days for it. Plus we have 1-2 extra polish day for each character at the very end of the project so we didn't in rush when created these characters.
I graduated from a fine art school from Taiwan, but I learned 3D by myself when I was a student. After school I started working in Taiwan game industry so actually I didn't take any formal 3d trainging from school, most of my knowledge were from friends, books, and internet.
My last project was Unreal2 XMP(the multi-player game of Unreal2 special edition). Before that title, everything I made was in Taiwan industry, you could find out all the projects I've made on my website, game projects section. :)

WHW, thank you very much, but I can not post any wires at this point. My boss only approved me to post these renders...which is pain... I know... The huge difference between armored and no armor minotaur boss is because we modeled every bones, musles, even lumb and heart in it, the reason was because the gameplay. In original gameplay, player could break those stuctures peace by peace so we modeled everything. But it changed at the end...so we left the geometry like that for final...sounds crazy, huh?:)

ScudzAlmighty
08-09-2005, 01:23 AM
congrats on the front page! again awesome work,

did you make anything else in the game? like environment stuff, or was it just these characters?

also, just out of curiosity, how do you find working in the US compared to Taiwan? i imagine the work environment is pretty different but the people are basically the same?

louis
08-09-2005, 06:08 AM
For this title, I was only worked on characters, because I joined the team one and half years ago, at the point lots of characters needed to be created or re-built, so I didn't have chance to touch any envirmental stuff. The characters I posted here were part of my works, I have more on my website. Please feel free to check them out.:)

About working difference between Taiwain and the U.S.... it is a interesting question actually.:) Well, first of all, in the U.S. I have fare working hours with fare pay and more chances to work on world-known titles, those are the most different things. Working hours are about the same in TW but we get less pay. Most of the company in Taiwan are doing MMORPG and most of the game are saling to local, China, or asia only...so it's hard to work on something that everybody knows...hard to feel succeed inside your heart. For working envirment, people in TW are more friendly and more easy going than US. But you have smaller desk, smaller working space...instead...

For myself, if my English could be better, I would like to work outside of TW, even go country by country every year could be fun.:) But for now... I'm still thinking I'll go back to my home town at some point...my families are there, friends are there....those are hard to let go forever...

the_podman
08-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Very nice! I loved this game. Your models are gorgeous and I'm looking at your website now and it's currently blowing my mind.

-pod

Rion411
08-10-2005, 02:57 AM
Amazing work. One of the best games I've played too.

PetterSundnes
08-10-2005, 12:04 PM
Seeing these and reading about the game makes me want to buy it now :) Top quality :thumbsup:

ScudzAlmighty
08-10-2005, 02:50 PM
they do say "there's no place like home" and you're english seems pretty good to me:)

your portfolio site has some really great work on it as well

Wildstyles
08-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Amazing Work!

Keiyentai
08-25-2005, 02:22 AM
Great models man. Havent had a chance to play God of War yet but I want to. Your website is real good too. You are a very talented artist.

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2005, 02:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.