PDA

View Full Version : Walk cycle : the other side !

KiboOst
10-30-2002, 11:02 PM
Hi animation gurus !

Just a simple question to know how you, do this : when doing a walk cycle, how do you do to have the movement of the second side the exact movement of the first one ? I mean, when moving forward the right side, then we need to move the left side whith exactly the same movement, or the walk will seems like a lame one !

Thanks to light me ,-)

Kib

bentllama
10-30-2002, 11:16 PM
Key it by hand. The other side does not have to be exact, only similar.

Your animation will have more life to it if there is some asymmetry.

[pssst...I used to use a dry erase marker on my screen to keep track of keys...but now we have "ghosting"!!! Wheeee!!!!]

Frinsklen
10-31-2002, 06:59 PM
I agree with our wise moderator... :D
You're not suppossed to try to get a perfect symmetry, just make sure both parts work fine and are doing the same thing. You know that the other part has to do more or less the opposite, and keying it by hand will give you the assymetry we're talking about.
It's easier to find the right poses if you animate pose to pose instead of straight ahead.

Anyway, you could copy the keyframes of the hand (for example) and move them along the "time bar" (or whatever it's called) until they're in the best position. And then do the same with fingers, leg, etc... I guess this is possible in most of 3d programs, but again, I strongly recommend not to copy keyframes.

Cheers.

AWAKE
11-02-2002, 10:20 AM
When I need to bust one out fast, I animate the leg/foot on one side, copy the animation and slide it back in time half a cycle. That way its all even and there is no limpy weird crap happening. It's also works on the arms. I recently had to fill up a shot with walkers, and ended up really knockin em out fast. I know the purists want two different sides, but I like to leave work on time... heheh.. After that you can tweak it all to get the asymmetry.

bentllama
11-02-2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by AWAKE
but I like to leave work on time...

...I have no problem with leaving work on time... :)

...the truth is if it looks good in the end product then your methods work fine...

[ psst...and the "purist" approach is better! :) j/k ]

KiboOst
11-02-2002, 11:54 AM
Ok thanks gurus ! Will test all these soon ! I had a problem because my character has two small legs I think..
Thanks !

Kib

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.