PDA

View Full Version : How would you build a 4CPU 64bit render workhorse?

lightblitter22
08-06-2005, 03:46 PM
I want to build a quad CPU machine substantially faster than my dual Xeon 3.0 for rendering. It also needs to be 64bit ready as I'm going to run C4D 64bit edition on it.

What's the best way to go in terms of cost effectiveness/quiet running? A quad Opteron board or a 2 x dual-core Opteron one? I also want the board to support the latest graphics cards, so no serverboard without AGP slot and so on.

lots
08-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Well the the MOST cost effective solution would be to go for the dual socket dual core Opteron set up. You would get 4 CPUs and all of that fun. Of cource if you went for something like the Tyan K8QW, which features a 16x PCIe slot (two actually for SLI compatability, though the second slot is a slower one..) you would have an awsome machine on your hands. Not only does the motherboard support 4 sockets, but you can install its daughter board and have 8 sockets :) Then of cource you could imagine how powerful that is with 8 dual core opterons. Naturally you would have to pull quite a few strings to afford such a beast :)

Though 16 cores is appealing. And with the 128 GB of memory the board supports.. well Thats one nasty system :) You probably would need a different version of windows to use such a machine though. X64 only supports 2 sockets (Note SOCKET not CPU).

Then again, if you hold out for quad core coming in next year..

mlmiller1983
08-06-2005, 04:31 PM
I'm with Lots. 2 Dual Core Opterons if you want to to Quad CPUs. The power usage and heat of the Dual Core Opterons are very good as well as the processing power(if your application utilizes all four cores). I would build one myself but I don't have the money. I am settling for a AMD 64 X2 4200 and maybe a couple X2 3800s for a render farm.

lightblitter22
08-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Well the the MOST cost effective solution would be to go for the dual socket dual core Opteron set up. You would get 4 CPUs and all of that fun. Of cource if you went for something like the Tyan K8QW, which features a 16x PCIe slot (two actually for SLI compatability, though the second slot is a slower one..) you would have an awsome machine on your hands. Not only does the motherboard support 4 sockets, but you can install its daughter board and have 8 sockets :)

I'm going to look into that Tyan mobo. Thanks for the advice guys.

WermooZ
08-06-2005, 05:32 PM
for what? do you know that x86 architecture isn't good for multiprocessor workstation (in all CISC architectures processors rivals for resources ). Try something with RISC - Sun, Mac ... of coursce if you know what to do. The better way is to make a simple x86 cluster.

JDex
08-06-2005, 06:20 PM
for what? do you know that x86 architecture isn't good for multiprocessor workstation (in all CISC architectures processors rivals for resources ). Try something with RISC - Sun, Mac ... of coursce if you know what to do. The better way is to make a simple x86 cluster.

Um... right. :rolleyes:

Only if your running software that can use a RISC architecture effectively... which I am afraid a64 compiled apps aren't going to be very useful on that. But if a database is needed, sure... it will only cost more.

I'd look at the Dual-Dual Core option over the Quad-Dual Core option... cost wise the difference will be, well, scary.

MadMax
08-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Your best bet would be to go with the tyan K8WE, dual CPU board. that way, you will have a total of 4 cores if you use the new Dual core CPU's.

As for the Tyan KQ8W board that Lots mentioned, it is a killer system and BoXX had one on display at Siggraph (7400 series) running Lightwave 64 with 100% utilization of all 8 cores.

For a beast like that you would have to run Windows Server 2003 Enterprise to be able to recognize all 4 processors. The cool thing about this setup is the PCI-E slots. Skip the part about SLI not being used in 3D apps for a moment, and consider you can put a Quadro FX 4500 in one slot, and an LSI Megaraid Serial Attached SCSI sontroller in the other. If you are not familiar with what this is, do a Google on it, or go to the LSI website for details and specifications. It kicks the crap out of every HD system out there. HANDS DOWN.

One neat thing about SAS is that you can mix SAS and SATA drives on that controller and stripe sets across them, but consider that your raid will be limited to the worst drives on your system, the SATA drives.

the downside is that this is an exceedingly expensive setup, and the daughter card will require that your case has a second power supply to power the daughter card.

Also another thing to consider is AMD is going to be rolling out quad core processors at least for testing purposes in Q1 2006. Those will be on a new socket with 1207 pins. If I were going to buy now, I think I would be more inclined to purchase the Dual CPU socket 940 board now, and wait on buying a system that costs enough to buy your own private island nation AFTER the new design is available.

Running dual 275's on a K8WE with Win64 myself I can tell you in no uncertain terms..it doesn't suck.

Srek
08-06-2005, 07:24 PM
As for the Tyan KQ8W board that Lots mentioned, it is a killer system and BoXX had one on display at Siggraph (7400 series) running Lightwave 64 with 100% utilization of all 8 cores.

Cinebench scored a new record on that system, over 1500 CB points.
The 64 Bit version will score even higher.
Take a look here for comparisons http://www.3dfluff.com/mash/cbtop.php

Cheers
Björn

lots
08-07-2005, 05:20 AM
Tyan is doing some cool stuff with the Nforce4 Pro chipset huh ;)

MadMax
08-07-2005, 05:28 AM
I just wish the K8QW has used the 2050 as well.

imashination
08-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Cinebench scored a new record on that system, over 1500 CB points.
The 64 Bit version will score even higher.
Take a look here for comparisons http://www.3dfluff.com/mash/cbtop.php

Cheers
Björn

Just waiting for Ed to get back to me with the scores ;-) However I imagine if they try it with 16 cores, then the accuracy of cb will start to drop somewhat, as the test will be over in less than 10 seconds.

Ed Caracappa
08-08-2005, 12:29 PM
The systems won't be back here in Austin from Siggraph until Thursday. Might be early next week before I get to rerun the numbers.

wurp
08-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Not sure why you would even suggest buying for example a SUN as hardly any 3d software will run on it, anything but pc (x86) are basically useless for 3d, except maybe the mac...

ihavenofish
08-10-2005, 05:14 PM
maybe he meant the sun opterons... or the intel macs :)

anyhow, a friend just got a dual dual core opteron 270 system. tis very nice.
quick test in xp64 running max 6 and brazil knocked off a render in 15 minutes that a single amd64 3700+ was doing in 42, and a 3500+ was doing in 45.

im sure some of that if from max using 4gb of ram, and all the other performance enhancements over the old systems, but im rather impressed to say the least. im just waiting for the price to drop so i can upgrade mine :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2005, 05:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.