PDA

View Full Version : AMD64: Mobile Athlon or Turion?

Rens
08-06-2005, 11:18 AM
I am currenly looking to buy a laptop and since all the major 3D progams will (or already have) turn(ed) to 64-bit I am mainly focusing on 64-bit CPUs. I currently have narrowed it down to two options: a Mobile Athlon 64 and a Turion.

I couldn't find much information about the differences between the two, does anyone here know more about them?

Thanks.

EDIT: Some more information, the laptops I'm looking at right now have a mobile Athlon64 3200+ and a Turion MT-30 (1.6 GHz), respectively. Feature-wise they're pretty much the same.

The laptop will be used for 2D and 3D stuff mostly and the occasional game. I will probably only use it near a power supply so battery life is not extremely important.

Any ideas on which one to choose?

rybeck
08-26-2005, 01:14 AM
I am just sharing my research with you since I am searchign for similar mobile system...
Currently I have two possibles:

HP pavilion ZV6000 series:
<http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks/hp_pavilion&series_name=zv6000_series&catLevel=2&tab_switch=true&tab=specs>

HP SPECIAL ED. L2000 series:
<http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks/livestrong&series_name=L2000_series&catLevel=2&tab_switch=true&tab=specs>

Well... I have issue on budget, but primarily want to get decent graphic card plus display res (under 16")

Hope you get some ideas...

kfc
08-26-2005, 02:40 AM
Dude....
I've bought a Ferrari 4000 with a turion MT-30.
it's running real smooth.
good for a value buy.
and it looks sweet from every angle. go check it out.

rybeck
08-26-2005, 02:48 AM
sweet... I will be just be happy with one of my possibles... :P
Do you have any suggestion for choosing laptop? since you bought a amd based one, then you may have clear image about AMD...
Just curious...

SweetDreamz
08-26-2005, 03:21 AM
Pentium M > AMD

Valkyrien
08-26-2005, 03:24 AM
^LOL^ there's always that one guy... ;)

rybeck
08-26-2005, 04:28 AM
LOL... Yes... and I'd like to hear both side's stories (although I'm leaning on AMD)...

By the way, I just got back from local Fry's Elec., and played around with 'L2000' for awhile... and if anyone has opinions on it, I'd love to hear some.... good or bad...

MadMax
08-26-2005, 04:46 AM
Pentium M > AMD

AMD TURION > Pentium M

Turion is low powered and 64 bit. PM only has low power going for it.

AMD just announced Dual Core Turion processors. Intel got nothing.

rybeck
08-26-2005, 05:32 AM
Madmax...

I am curious that the L2000 is suitable for submachine for 3d work (maya & XSI)... Will display size(1280x768) be bothersome?

SweetDreamz
08-26-2005, 05:47 AM
AMD just announced Dual Core Turion processors. Intel got nothing.
Look what I found (http://www.laptoplogic.com/news/08/08/2005/410/0) & here also (http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=24694)

Turion is low powered and 64 bit. PM only has low power going for it.
Pentium M is better when it comes to raw data crunching. And it also performed better in 3D apps.

Here (http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=turion64&page=9)

The Turion isn't able to beat the Pentium M is battery life or in speed.

Also, the other hardware are factors as well.

Pentium M > AMD
For me, I want a laptop, not a desktop replacement. Plus, I want to have kids some day. A desktop replacement laptop isn't gonna help me with my goal lol.

Now back on topic,

If you're getting a desktop replacement, get the AMD64.
If you're getting a laptop, then go for the Turion.

Maybe give AMD one more generation or so and it would probably beat the Pentium M. But not now.:shrug:

Maybe I'll get the Turion for a quiet setup for my htpc...it's cheaper than the PM and I have a board laying around. :\

MadMax
08-26-2005, 06:19 AM
Look what I found (http://www.laptoplogic.com/news/08/08/2005/410/0) & here also (http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=24694)

blah blah blah....sometime next year, maybe, real soon now.......

Same old story. AMD showed the new laptops with dual core Turion at IDF. One more case of Intel being 2 steps behind.

Pentium M is better when it comes to raw data crunching. And it also performed better in 3D apps.

Not much difference in those numbers at all. Not enough to even make an issue of. If you take hardware and cost considerations into account, there is no reason at all to go with the pentium M.

The Turion isn't able to beat the Pentium M is battery life or in speed.

The Turion64 uses roughly one third the power of these older Athlon64 processors, but delivers slightly better performance per clock due to AMD’s “Lancaster” architecture What this basically means is that today’s Athlon64 mobile platforms will be able to be fitted with Turion64 processors and see dramatic increases in battery life while running cooler and quieter, while delivering roughly the same performance levels. The Turion64’s low power consumption and heat production attributes finally give AMD a viable competitor to Intel’s Pentium-M processor, which has dominated the mobile arena with its efficient architecture. Battery life between Turion64 and Pentium-M systems should be very similar, assuming both mobile systems are equipped with similar hardware and batteries.

Hmm.. according to your own link your comments about battery life is wrong. In fact if you look at the specs, PM is 27w, the Turion is 25w. Lower wattage, lower power consumption. Yes, it would appear Turion is MORE than capable of holding a candle to the PM in battery life. Looks like it will be just a nudge better.

Also, the other hardware are factors as well.

Name one. Turion is 64 bit, Intel once again is sometime next year before seeing a 64 bit laptop. And at lest that long before seeing a dual core laptop. well behind AMD. Again.

In fact if you look at the hardware in detail, there are numerous areas where the Pentium M trails behind the Turion. Bandwidth, bus speed, 64 bit, power consumption, L1 cache, PM lacks SSE3, has half of AMD's 128 bit data path............ and the list just goes on and on.

For me, I want a laptop, not a desktop replacement. Plus, I want to have kids some day. A desktop replacement laptop isn't gonna help me with my goal lol.

Sounds like you need to do your research better.

Now back on topic,

If you're getting a laptop, then go for the Turion.

Fianlly a sensible comment.

Maybe give AMD one more generation or so and it would probably beat the Pentium M. But not now.:shrug:

That is a pretty ridiculous remark when Turion is a solid match in every aspect to PM, and has things PM does not.

Add to that, the original poster said he was interested in 64 bit, which the Pentium M is not. Pentium M will not take advantage of ANY 64 bit software, nor will it anytime soon.

SweetDreamz
08-26-2005, 05:16 PM
If you take hardware and cost considerations into account, there is no reason at all to go with the pentium M.

The processor is there, the power & the performance is there. But most companies out there aren't capitalizing on what makes the Turion desirable.

Acer with the Ferrari line is a good use of the Turion.

But HP and others are making the Turion look like crap when mixing it with a 64bit CPU with 32 bit XP home and an integrated Radeon.

But then x64 is such a disappointment. There's still alot of hardware out there that doesn't have 64bit drivers. And it isn't going to be for awhile by the looks of it. By that time, it'll be time for an upgrade anyways.

If you're futureproofing, go with Turion. But I'll stick with PM right now.

Sounds like you need to do your research better.

And heat kills it. A slight 1 degree C can make an impact on it.

And the Pentium M uses less power in power saving modes, especially with its speedstep to lower processor power. Plus, the PM uses less voltage IIRC

The Turion has barely caught up with the sophistication of the Pentium M power usage.

For power consumption, check this out (http://www.gamepc.com/labs/print_content.asp?id=turion64). It's the total sytem you gotta go with, not just the processor alone. There's just so much more options for the PM than Turion.

As I said, the Turion is not bad. But it's a tee bit too late for this generation. Give it a generation or two and it could probably own.

If you have software that would benefit from 64bit, go right ahead and use it.

Fianlly a sensible comment.

As for that comment, it's more related to this topic since the original thread starter didn't say anything about P-M. And I apologize for causing this thread to go off topic.

Out

Take care,
SD

Valkyrien
08-26-2005, 06:36 PM
fact of the matter is, AMD have it now. Who knows WHEN Intel will release? And when they do, will it actually be dual-core? Or will it be a variation of the hack they've got going on their "dual-core" lineup?

ihavenofish
08-27-2005, 06:25 AM
the sad truth about the turion is that it doent matter if its a vastly superior chip in every way. the notbooks shipping with it are not. in fact, asside from the acer ferrari, they are all geared to the low low end and even then are disapointing and even expensive.

the acer ferrari is no real design win either. it carries a hefty premium for the little horse, yet will easily be bested by the asus z71v, which is a good $650 cdn less (and fully customizable).
its sad, but the high end market is completely dominated by intel, with NO exceptions.

id really like to get a turion notebook, but unless something nice pops up in the next 3 weeks, its pentium m for me.

Valkyrien
08-27-2005, 03:49 PM
who knows though, maybe the next GoBOXX will have Turion...one thing's for sure, they know how to make a computer that packs a whollop! ;)

CGTalk Moderation
08-27-2005, 03:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.