PDA

View Full Version : i got my body weights painted, now what about the clothes?

fanmap81
08-06-2005, 12:37 AM
If i have my characters naked body set up where all the weight painting is perfect, and im now ready to put my clothes on my character, what is the workflow for that? Do i have to paint weights all over again for each piece of clothing that i wish to add or can i transfer the weights or what? Please somebody let me know. Im using maya 7. Thanks

cavetroll
08-06-2005, 01:59 PM
unless you are not using a cloth simulation Iīm afraid you will have to get into weightPainting again. it is the safest way to make sure evrything behaves right and you donīt get intersecting geometry.
another way to do it might be using a wrap deformer, but this can slow down our scene very much depending on the resolution of your geo.
think also of using wireDeformers or extra joints to have further control over your cloth geo... to get some secondary movements in it...

hope that helps a bit.
tom.

ralphpoon
08-06-2005, 08:58 PM
1, Simluate clothes
OR
2, Bind the clothes

Andrei2k
08-10-2005, 07:15 AM
I think unless the character is interacting with his own clothing you should have integrated the clothing into the same mesh. I'm assuming this will work a lot better for you since rigging it will be much simpler with the weights. Also what you could try is parenting the clothing to nearest appropriate joint in the rig and animating clothes with lattice , or wrap deformers, if the character has armor for example the 2nd option would be more suitable because there isnt much deformation on armor.

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2005, 07:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.