PDA

View Full Version : -BBQ Beast- thesis short. Check it out!!11

stephan.s
08-05-2005, 08:17 PM
http://www.stephanart.com/bbq_beast.jpg

Hi,

finally our short "BBQ Beast" is done. We created it in about 3 months for our graduation from the German Film School (http://www.filmschool.de). Most important to us on this project was definetly animation. And although we kinda ran out of time we really tried not to cut back on this part.

We were 4 people working on it:

Jens-Ole Bukowsky
Karsten Mehnert
Goro Fujita
and Stephan Stoelting

Check it out here
|mpeg (30mb) (http://www.animator3d.de/videos/bbq_beast.mpg)|
|(mirror) (http://www.area-56.de/projects/bbq_beast.mpg)|

Let us know what you think about it.

TDT-Digi-Guys
08-05-2005, 10:34 PM
Hi Stephan!

Very cool :thumbsup:

Now I know why we've been exchanging emails late at night - you & the other guys have been very (very!) busy!

Congrats to you all - it's a great piece of work... and done in a short time... almost like the nightmare deadline you get in the industry :scream:

Look forward to seeing you over here at the studio soon. :deal:

Let's watch the cool comments & wait for this to get 5 stars :applause:

Tracy T

Wisky
08-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Shots more better than movie. Some additional editing need. Cuts are smaller...
May be need more funny details. For example, change a color of eyes from green to red and other.

<GarfieLd>
08-06-2005, 02:39 PM
very cool stuff...

zman
08-06-2005, 02:49 PM
haaa awsome animation !!!
I recall seeing parts of it in your demoreel.
:thumbsup:

yAdam
08-06-2005, 02:54 PM
:D HAHAHA! That was hilarious! Great work! :applause:

JeroenDStout
08-06-2005, 03:14 PM
The animation of the character's nice, but I can't say I like the video itself; too many parts dragged out in the slow-motion and the Roadrunner-style joking is terribly cliché. To be very honest, for me it was dull rather as funny.

Sorry :shrug:

Cannonball
08-06-2005, 03:50 PM
I have to agree with Parrot.

I liked the animation very much but a lot of jokes were too forced. The only jokes which I really liked because they where well executed were: when he drives through the woodwork and when he bangs his head against the branch (in slomo, causing him to flip).

I don't care if it's cliché, doesn't matter, but the rest of the jokes were not well executed to get the best laughs.

But...it looked very good and it was very well animated. Every single thing. The storytelling was better than most animations but it could have been a little bit better, just to juicen things up.

I smiled during the animation, but I rather would have laughed out loud!

troyer
08-06-2005, 03:52 PM
The animation of the character's nice, but I can't say I like the video itself; too many parts dragged out in the slow-motion and the Roadrunner-style joking is terribly cliché. To be very honest, for me it was dull rather as funny.

Sorry :shrug:

Sorry, but I have to agree on this. The slow-motion parts are really dragged out and used too often, this really kills the flow. The animation is fine though.

JuGGerNauTT
08-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi guys, you did a very good job on this, the style is very nice and visually pleasing as well as the story. What it lucks in my opinion is the animation. It felt very slow and not as thought-out as the "Tex Avery_style" you were probably going for. There were some major issues with timing in my opinion in a lot of scenes, the movements should have been much quicker in order to get that emotion out of your character and make him alive. Adding a lot more closeups on his anger and frastation would make him stand out and be "THE DEVIL" than what it shows out now (just a puppet that runs after all souls in heaven).

Also when every sheep is lost (in the middle of the movie), there should be a close-up on his face with a cut and then cut again to his garage, than just dissolve there. And since I mentioned it..... Dissolves don't really work in this type of animation, it takes off all the climax you are creating during a scene. I'd say this could easily be a 2.30 min instead of 3.30 animation and you would get a much finer piece.

Other than that it's really a great job, very nice weighting,deformations and facial expressions, although not sure about that exacurated fall after he hits the tree's branch, he looks more like his size is increasing, which is not what you want, you need to keep your character's mass the same in order for that to work. I love it all, just it could have been so much better with a bit more work, animation (timing) & editing wise. Keep it up and good luck with your future work.

4 stars from me :thumbsup: :applause:

Cheers mates,
Mike

andrewley
08-06-2005, 04:09 PM
I think you guys wanted to demonstrate your technical and animation abilities rather than break new ground in storytelling - am I right?

I think you did a good job on the animation. It felt solid and well presented. I agree the slowmo bits were overused but thats a small crit.

The main thing is this peice demonstrates your abilities well

Well done!.

ThomasMahler
08-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Yeah, gotta agree here. The animation is okay and enjoyable, nothing that would make my jaw drop, but it was okay. The squash and stretch felt a little too much at times. Story-wise it was kinda the same old thing that we've seen a dozen times before with no real gags, no message, no feeling, no anything.

Technically, it's okay though.

richardvacheresse
08-06-2005, 04:49 PM
great job:thumbsup:, pretty funny stuff. you should all be pretty proud.

Bandicoot
08-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Hot stuff! (pun intended) I love your camera work. I remember checking this out in your demo reel and noticing the camera work. It really sets you apart from a lot of amateurs.

Great criticism has already been given to you. Cut the slow mo, and work on the timing of each gag. For instance, when the devil trips over the fence it could probably work a lot better if he trips, shakes it off, and then continues to run after the sheep. The funniest part about falling is the reaction to the fall and how they get up after a big spill.

Propictales
08-06-2005, 05:34 PM
WOW! Great work, friends! I have to agree, that working on this was more important than visiting me at my birthday-party! :P

Some of the animations are really fantastic! The sheeps rock! :bounce:

I would have wished for a faster pacing too.

Anyways, you have outdone yourselves again!

Cheers!

Jan

malibubob
08-06-2005, 05:38 PM
the style is so cool. the trees and clouds! well done

picolo
08-06-2005, 05:41 PM
really great congratulations:bounce::thumbsup:

Kid-Mesh
08-06-2005, 06:07 PM
That was awesome...truly enjoyed it!

Spc
08-06-2005, 06:27 PM
I really like the sound effects and music. :thumbsup:
Excellent work!

behzad
08-06-2005, 06:51 PM
very good animation, but lacks storyline. The story needs to be more cleaver.

Cyborgguineapig
08-06-2005, 07:21 PM
I laughed my face off. Cliche or not, I loved every bit of it:love:

Julius
08-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Great work, i enjoyed it. I think less slow motion would be better especially on the branch scene, haha if that was faster i would of been in tears especially if the mower increased speed and aggressiveness, as the other guys said it would be funnier if it wasnt slow. But the whole story idea i know where your coming from. You wanted a simple cartoon like the old days and I think you did that perfect. I hope this helps, excellent stuff.

levent
08-06-2005, 07:48 PM
super super:thumbsup:

Sollesnes
08-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Great work! I love it!

Goro
08-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Thank you guys! And thnx for your feedback

TDT-Digi-Guys
Tracy...don't take stephan away from us.... :D

The Parrot
I can understand your crits. We are aware of the slowmo thing. A bit too much.
But well as stephan already said, the focus lied on animation cause many films
of our schol are lagging in animation. And according to the time shortness we
had to go on working at a certain point. We tried to make the jokestyle cliché but
we didn't reach that goal. Maybe we shoud have exaggerated the actions much more.
Anyways, thnx for your comment!

JuGGerNauTT
Thnx for your detailed feedback. Yes you're right about the closeups and the animation.
Seems like we hadn't enough experience with cartoonstyle animation. Maybe it's a bit
too real for this kind of characters. Wee keep your words in mind! thnx again.

andrewley
yep that's what we were going for.

Thomas Mahler
Hi thomas long time no see. Thnx for dropping by.

Propictales
Hey jan sorry for not beeing at your party...I was awake for more than 30 hours to make
the finishing touches so I was not able to drive by car....

julius
thnx for your kind words!

Thnx again everyone! Your comments are very much appreciated! :beer:

Cheers!
Goro

Leydecker
08-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Hi Goro,

allready saw some snippets of this some place else. Like the look.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I *can* understand what
you mean when you say "Well, we only had three months".

It took me two tries to get my thesis, the first one, an animated
short simply wasn´t finished when it should.

I´m still working on it, now that I have gotten me that damn degree
doing something completely different...

If you guys really like what you do, go ahead and do it the way
it is meant to be. No excuses - no limits. imho.

Cheers

tim

P.S: I really like the look. Can´t comment on the story, still loading...

Sparks
08-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Really nice animation! I love the design! Great work.

Mr Azrael
08-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Yeah, great work :) I like it!

Purgpow
08-06-2005, 11:30 PM
WHat Software did you use for the Animation?

stephan.s
08-06-2005, 11:41 PM
Purgpow: maya all the way

TDT-Digi-Guys
08-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Hi Goro

Me... steal Stephan away? :twisted:

Seriously - it's a really nice job... I agree with some of the crits here - but it's the style & overall zeal that stand out for me.

I love the look - and the sheep :thumbsup: - they deserve a short of their own (Super Sheep)...

I see a lot of work on the web - and have tons of Reels sent to me all the time... this is an interesting work, as it's obvious you guys have had a lot of fun (and some late nights!) working on it... and you've gone for something a little more stylish & cartoony (which is novel).

If it had come to the studio - my interest would have been held through to the end... and that's good.

From the trees & clouds through to the design & 'feel' it's successful... yes, there are some deformation issues - and some elements are overplayed (etc) - but, as a whole piece, it works really well :)

Obviously, the Moderators agreed with my FrontPage prediction :thumbsup: and probably for the same reasons that I liked the piece... it's bright & fun... with no pretensions & that's refreshing!

Pass on my congrats to your co-conspirators!

Now - all I have to do is make sure you don't stowaway in Stephan's luggage :eek:

Have a fun weekend.

TDT

Obaid3DFX
08-07-2005, 05:34 AM
Nice short Film:thumbsup:

the animation is amazing...specially the enivronment style and the character animation

good job

Wilk0
08-07-2005, 05:44 AM
That was awesome! :D Especially the part with the go-kart, loved it!

ManAndDog
08-07-2005, 06:31 AM
No words... just great!

Keep it up :thumbsup:

Pin_pal
08-07-2005, 07:15 AM
I agree about the slow motion but the main thing that bothered me was tha animation. Several place I found myself thinking you could have pushed it a little more, just maybe another 10%, then the short would have really shined.

I did like the style the most.

Also, most importantly, congratulations on a complete film, more then most can say.

PP

tim-weimann
08-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Nice Devil, but funny how designs and ideas can be alike from time to time ! ;-)
It seems that some of you guys liked our devil, when we met at Cartoon Movie
1 1/2 year ago.

www.mydatefromhell.com (http://www.mydatefromhell.com/)

Best regards
Tim Weimann

Leydecker
08-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Hey Goro, hey Tim Weimann,

one could allways argue about plagiarism, in this case one *could*
find similarities with Goros 3D sheep and an illustration I did 1998.
Both show sheep.

Cheers

tim

P.S: Btw. Tim, seems you didn´t like the chicken thing I modeled
for your film, I´m not credited. Which is o.k. on the other hand,
given the time I´ve spend on it I guess. Eager to see the flic anyway.

Cannonball
08-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Well, both devils look similair. But they also look similair to the devil in Cow and Chicken for that matter. Heck, we even have a commercial here in Holland with a devil and a mobilephone who looks just like the two mentioned devils.

So...co-incidence? Yes, I think so...

Good short btw, but I already commented.

Leydecker
08-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Just got me a nice little private mail. Perfect example of being rude
without using any explicit language. Boy, you´re good at that.

So, I´m hereby officially sorry for giving you a call, Mr. Weimann.

I had no idea you don´t like being checked out...

Again,no problem about the missing credit.

*edit start*

The model hasn´t been used in the short, so I´m o.k. about this, really!

*edit end*

Back to topic:

I like the visual style of both shorts. They share a certain designstyle.
Most likely influenced by the same pool of *good examples*.
TV-Shows from CartoonNetwork, Comics, common sense.

Wisky
08-07-2005, 03:00 PM
I have to agree with Parrot.

I liked the animation very much but a lot of jokes were too forced. The only jokes which I really liked because they where well executed were: when he drives through the woodwork and when he bangs his head against the branch (in slomo, causing him to flip).

I don't care if it's cliché, doesn't matter, but the rest of the jokes were not well executed to get the best laughs.

But...it looked very good and it was very well animated. Every single thing. The storytelling was better than most animations but it could have been a little bit better, just to juicen things up.

Sorry for my English, I understand more better, than writing. I agree with this post.
to stephan.s (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=57186) - don't worry!
It's REALLY good animation. Much more scenary work and FRESH jockes - that's all what you need! Good Luck!

stephan.s
08-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks everybody, again for the nice comments. Yeah, we could have pushed it further with more time and maybe more thought. But meeting the deadline is just as important as making a nice movie :) That's what we've learned here.

Tracy: hehehe, thanks again :D I'm looking forward to joining you guys.

Tim Weimann: That's a pretty grim assertion you are contesting there. Although we all worked on the designs for the devil, the person you met on the Cartoon Movie festival had nothing to do with the final version of the devil.

I'm posting just a couple of our brainstorming wpes here, we made prior to working on this short. Believe me we made tons of drawings before actually starting, considering a lot of ideas. Some of them look closer to this or that, but believe me we never at any point were so impressed with your movie that we were influenced by it.

And I think it's pretty sad that you have to accuse us publicly of such things, especially because you met one of us already in person.
You know how a claim like that can break your neck pretty fast, whether it's true or not.

Not crediting the people who worked with you is another thing that can really turn around on you. You should be more careful with those kind of things.

Cannonball: Exactly. Thanks man.

http://www.stephanart.com/devil/1.jpg

http://www.stephanart.com/devil/2.jpg

http://www.stephanart.com/devil/3.jpg

http://www.stephanart.com/devil/4.jpg

And to end all discussions, here are the design ideas for the sheep. Done by Karsten

http://www.cgbox.de/gallery/albums/adminpics/sketchbook_sheep.jpg

Leydecker
08-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks everybody, again for the nice comments. Yeah, we could have pushed it further with more time and maybe more thought. But meeting the deadline is just as important as making a nice movie :) That's what we've learned here.

haha. I´ve learned that as well. What I meant was that you can allways *redo*
it now - after the deadline has been sucessfully met - if you feel that would help
to show your skills better. Here and now, you don´t have a deadline, you want
to land a good gig, or find a good job. asap, of course.

In regard to being credited or not, if he didn´t like it, didn´t use it and prefered
to go another direction - so be it, that´s perfectly fine for me. No bad feelings.
Please don´t mix this matter with the other discussion you two gangs ran into.
If at all that would be my business to care about.

Cheers

tim

w4y
08-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Very nice animation :thumbsup:.

The movement was smooth, nice story, nice design. Its was funny somemore :applause:.

Good job, keep it comin! :)

tim-weimann
08-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Tim Leydecker:
Oh, Tim, what´s going on with you?
Do you really need the public to discuss a thing between the two of us?
I really, really hate it, when people do stuff like that in this forum.
Now that you posted, that I wrote a very "rude" private mail to you,
there is nothing else I can do than to react in public, though I don`t want to do it.
You seem to be angry about the fact that you didn`t get a credit for a model which
was about 50 poylgons, for a film which isn`t yet finished and which at the moment has
no final credits at all.
By the way when you write all this in public, you should mention that you phoned the Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg to get more "official" informations about us and the project. If we would really be a Filmakademie project and if we wouldn`t fool you. All this for just 50 polygons?????
After this ridiculous action we decided, not to use your 50 polygon chicken and do a new one on our own. :-)
You are free to write anything you want in response, but I will not react again, because this
is all I have to say about our special relation. I know that my first mail in this thread was a beautiful chance for your to fight yourself on the side of the poor and abused.

Stephan:

Get me right! I don`t care about the fact that you have done a devilfilm as well. We do not
have the copyright on devilfilms! That`s for sure! I just care about the fact, that at the moment, I have to explain too many people that our two projects have nothing to do with each other and that you didn´t work on our stuff and we didn`t work on your film.
That people think, that our projects relate to each other, seems to be due to the fact that
our devils resemble each other, especially in proportion.
Our film is in work for three years now and it is known in most of the german forums. There have been several pictures out there in the internet, even two years ago and as you just wrote, I met one of your crewmembers 1 1/2 year ago and showed him our portfolio, with pics of our devil.
I do not want to say that you copied anything, but I just wonder why your devil turned out to look proportionally so much like ours. You can not tell me that you have not been aware of our project. We are both students of two of the leading German animation schools!
It`s not like I live in Pjöngjang and you live near Berlin and you would have never heard of our project. That is all I wonder about.
By the way I like your animation and I even told it the people who thought it was our stuff,
though you would like to see my neck broken. ;-)
You should take the slight rivalry between our schools not too serious!!

Best regards

Tim Weimann

Leydecker
08-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Yes. I routinably do a backroundcheck on new contacts, especially
if I´m asked to work for free, for fun or for the sake of reputation.

Yes, I modeled a low-rez, smoothable roosted chicken, according
to the briefing. If this hasn´t been used because it wouldn´t fit
either the desired style or other requirements - that´s fine with me.
If desired, one can always redo a model to better fullfil the specs...

Again, I allways do a backroundcheck, to prevent unpleasant incidents.

Like this one.

Cheers

tim

Tim Leydecker
www.hafenlola.com

Gravedigger
08-07-2005, 07:05 PM
hello
i am not a student like a lot of the others but maybe some of my impressions can help.

first: i love this style with the clouds and the trees! i had to laught when i just saw the frame in the end of the 29th second.

i think the stones don't fit in this style. maybe some changes in the material could help. the same thing with the sheep. everything in the environement is very smooth and without a lot of details, but the sheep are very detailed. maybe they would fit better if they are fluffier.

devil is very nice because of the contrast from his skin to the rest of the scenes and when i saw him the first time trying to catch the sheep i knew that he won't be successful(by feet).

he had a lot of accidents and very painful contacts with trees, stones and whatever but he isn't really angry. i think it would look much more natural if he would be angry. maybe this would increase with the amount of accidents.

around the 35th second after the 1th minute you show how the devil is trying to catch the sheep with a camera from the floor. this looks a little bit boring for me because the last cameras were from the floor too. if this camera would show the situation from the top we could feel this running around without success better.

the last thing is about the voice of the devil. the sounds are more or less the same through the whole story. but the voice should show his emotions and should help to recognise that this red thing is really THE devil. even if he is in cartoon style.

i repeat that i ve no education in these subjects. i just said what i thought.
i like your movie very much and i didn't waste space to mention all things i marvel.

sorry for my school english.

grs Grave

blz
08-07-2005, 07:40 PM
that was nice ,congratz :)

stephan.s
08-07-2005, 08:58 PM
tim_weimann: I never said that we weren't aware of your project. In fact we were, but to be honest I got to know about it when we already started modelling. I just said that we weren't too impressed with what you are doing so that we got all inspired.

Yes, one of us met you at the Cartoon Festival. But it's not like he came home like "Wohooo, they are going to make a devil movie. Let's make one as well." In fact we didn't talk about your project at all. He showed a flyer about your movie to us when we had already started working on our short.

The drawings I posted should show you that we were having our own thoughts. We didn't use the proportions of your devil intentionally. And to be honest, i don't see so many similarities between the two. They're both nice, chubby devils, but that's kinda it. Your devil is a lot closer to a human proportionwise, while ours is a lot more exaggerated.

And you shouldn't have too much of a problem to tell the people the differences between a 3 year project and a 3 month 4 man project, should you?

Oh, and I don't see too much of a rivalry between our schools. I just think that this accusation was really inapropriate in a forum like this. But let me say it with your words:

"Do you really need the public to discuss a thing between the two of us? I really, really hate it, when people do stuff like that in this forum."

Ok, well, there is no reason to take this any further, I guess. Points have been made. I feel insulted by your claim, but I can understand your worries. And I really assure you that we didn't copy anything. I honestly think that with our drawings and our movies we can prove that we don't have the need to do that. We have a lot of creative minds of our own here and especially in this team.
Please let this discussion die. Or take it further on a more personal level. But doing this here is rufmord

rafaelrubio
08-07-2005, 08:59 PM
jajaja, cool, very cool! i love character and environment style. trees are amazing, as clouds!

funny story friend! 5 stars from me!

lhiondaig
08-07-2005, 10:55 PM
lool thats cool! I already loved the "shorty" but the long version rocks

Great work !

Goro
08-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Alom, Wilk0, ManAndDog, Pin_pal, Wisky, w4y, blz, Rafalon, hagarun thnx!!

TDT-Digi-Guys
Let's see if there is enough space in Stephans luggage... :scream:
Thnx for your comment! We're glad you like it!

Gravedigger
Hi Gravedigger, thnx for your detailed feedback. It's good to hear your opinion.
We didn't want him to be angry cause we wanted to create a very primitive friendly
devil ;)

You're probably right about the voice of the devil. I had only sounds from a sound libary
and we coudn't reccord our own sounds according to the timeshortness....there it goes again...hehe But I think keeping the deadline is the most important thing out there
and that's what we did. There are sure a lot of things that could have done better.
So even if we won't make changes on the film your comments are much appreciated.
Thnx for taking your time!

Cheers!
Goro

Propictales
08-08-2005, 09:14 AM
I would also suggest to do a sheep-movie! Come on! You have the characters... ;)

Everyone who wants to see it : Raise your hands! :wavey:

3DKnight
08-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Great style and the animation is top notch!!

It's a little to slap-stick for my liking.. but for 3 months you don't really have the time to work out complex jokes :p

I noticed some smoothing errors on a few flat planes you had.. you can get around that by insetting the face where you have the problem a bit.

The scenerios were a little drawn out, a bit too repetative.

Great accomplishment, none-the-less!

tazy7
08-08-2005, 10:44 AM
an easy 5*s

really enjoyed it, reminded me of the short before incrediables (forgot the name its monday morning after all) with the styling, really good animation especially when the devil folded up against the tree and collasped back down really cool

xcx
08-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Nice mood, but little booring. Still great work.

Suryawanshi
08-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Fantabulus !!
really really really enjoyed the short.
u guys have stylised the whole thing in a very neet way...impresive !!
I do not agree with few of em here that there are too many slowmos...
infact they made the seqeunce more fun and gave time for it to register in the mind, which normally is not done.
Wud say again...lovely stylisation.
Gr8 short.

Sachin S. Suryawanshi.

aforetaste
08-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Very well done!
I like it!

Joshua
08-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Very nice, and very entertaining. I finally got the chance to see it. I love the animation.

It was a privilege to meet you guys at Siggraph 2005. Ole, thanks for the rides from Backpackers Paradise to the Convention Center. I owe you...

Take care friends,

Joshua M. Kroger

ReBootedOne
08-08-2005, 05:23 PM
Technically speaking, it was nicely done, (although I felt the slow-mo and squash n stretch were a tad overused.), and I enjoyed the overall feel of it. I also was quite fond of the opening.

However, it didn't really keep my attention and I didn't really feel any sort of connection whatsoever with the devil character... I mean, sure, you weren't going for a deep plot, but even Wile E. Coyote evoked some empathy...

Overall though, it was a fun little short.

-eric

loocas
08-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Awesome animation :D and great concept :thumbsup: I loved the characters and the design of the environements! Real cool project dudes,http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_4.gif from me :thumbsup:

marcowilz
08-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Hi Stefanarte!

The stills and the title really look great, but the link for the download doesn`t works.

Do you have any other place to get the movie (if not I`ll ring you out of your bed in the night, when I`ll be back in Elswoodcity)

I want to see this movie!!! Uhhhäähh (klork crying)

Amahpour
08-17-2005, 11:49 PM
Great Fantasy Movie!:thumbsup:

GotF
08-19-2005, 12:13 PM
i really like the deisgn of the models

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2005, 12:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.