PDA

View Full Version : Video game industry seeking minorities (MSNBC)

dmonk
08-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Came across this Article today online:

Video game industry seeking minorities (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8837488/)

I'm begging that this doesn't turn into a big flame thread.

Rook
08-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Sounds like that paticular media outlet is trying to find problems where there are none. It's a silly article that is insulting to all those "Nerdy white guys" that make games. Where I work there are a fair amount of nerdy white girls too. (http://www.planetquake.com/images/photo/index.asp?id=496968)

dmonk
08-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Sounds like that paticular media outlet is trying to find problems where there are none. It's a silly article that is insulting to all those "Nerdy white guys" that make games. Where I work there are a fair amount of nerdy white girls too. (http://www.planetquake.com/images/photo/index.asp?id=496968)

Fair enough response, but it's nothing to get be huffy about. I don't think the article is saying the the gaming industry is racist. Just that maybe it would be a good idea to attract more minorites to the industry.

The beginning of the article mainly dealt with the lack of positive minority Game Characters.

How many positive minority Game characters can you name off hand as opposed to negative ones?

It doesn't feel good for a kid to only see people that look lke him in games when they are very often depicted in a negative light.

PhilOsirus
08-05-2005, 06:28 PM
I don't know, I thought SPeedy Gonzales was a positive minority character, but then WB was pressured to getr id of him cause it was considered racist by some:P

And there are plenty of positive minority characters. Almost all fighting games have Europeans and Asians in them:p

andrewley
08-05-2005, 06:31 PM
The problem is with any story based medium that you need to communicate as much about your characters as quickly as possible. An example of this is the accents used in the Star wars prequels. The familiar accents of the characters summon up stereotypes in our minds so that certain characteristics don't need to be explained. e.g the trade federation have a kind of Japanese business man accent. Jar Jar has a Carribean accent.

The same is true with racial sterotypes.

Regarding diversity in the workplace. As long as people aren't being discriminated against because of their race I would hope that people in the industry continue to be hired on the merit of their work. If a black person can genuinly bring cultural insight that might be valuable to a project then fair enough. However I would hope that this dosn't lead to the ridiculous positive discrimation that can be seen in other areas...but that is a different matter.

dmonk
08-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Point taken. (DeeJay does kick butt in Tekken)

I don't think the article was meant to insulting to people working in the industry though. Just something I spotted today.

P.S. If I was mexican, Speedy would of been slightly offensive.

Rook
08-05-2005, 06:39 PM
I think so many games are dealing with elf wizards, orcs, vampires and zombies to really consider video games dominated by any kind of hero sterotype. In GTA San Andres you can play as a thug or a hero, it depends on how you play the game. Most often that particular game is making fun of the status quo.

In Battlefield 2 you can be black, white or whatever. The color of your polys doesn't matter as much as your rank, and how long you sniper idiots will wait for a plane to spawn while all our flags are being captured!

Ninjas
08-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Does Italian count? Mario
Turok (American Indian)
That girl in HL2 doesn't look white, probably half black.
A large number of Asian characters (Ash from Pokemon etc.)

Fact is that not a lot of games focus on the 'main character' often you can select your race (J.C. Denton). Anyway, how many books or movies have a minority as a main character and are 'positive'? Black kids aren't going to be interested in a black Gorden Freeman, because black kids in general aren't interested in being scientists, they want to be a sports stars. Speaking of sports stars, why are almost all the characters in sports games black? Really, I think designers only care about making money, and there are plenty of games out there that minorities enjoy playing.

animateddave
08-05-2005, 06:42 PM
"Not everybody goes outside with bling-bling and listens to rap music all day,"

Did he complain about all italians not all being pasta eating, opera listening, and mafiaosos in the other GTA? Not likely. Seems pretty hypocritical doesn't it? If you want to make more black heros then be my guess but if you want to talk about harmful media then why don't these people whine about rap videos?

animateddave
08-05-2005, 06:44 PM
That girl in HL2 doesn't look white, probably half black.

She is half black.

LaVolpe
08-05-2005, 06:48 PM
er..have these guys ever been inside a game studio? The games industry is one of the most diversely populated industries I've ever seen. In the bay area these fabled 'nerdy guys' are just as likely to be from turkey as white americans. Even a casual glance around the E3 floor will show you a melting pot of developers all united in the common goal of bringing you the latest in digitized violence.

And what's more, they are TRULY integrated-roving packs of nerds visiting the local Electronics Boutique are just as likely to have a token white guy as a token asian, black or hispanic one.

Oh well, it must be a slow news day...maybe this new 'crisis' will keep them distracted so they'll stop trying to ban, censor and burn every game with a buttock in it..

leigh
08-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Sorry guys, but this thread is not in accordance with our CGTalk Forum Rules, Guidelines and Policy (http://forums.cgsociety.org/faq.php?faq=cgtalk_faq#faq_new_faq_item):

CGTalk Policy
Because CGTalk is a computer graphics related community, and in the interests of keeping potentially offensive topics away from the forum, the Administrators and Forum Leaders of these forums do not tolerate posts that contain any of the following subjects or elements:

- Potentially inflammatory discussions, artwork or comments regarding social issues
These include, but are not limited to, topics such as racism, sexism, religion, xenophobia or homosexuality.