PDA

View Full Version : 9.1 render speed versus 9.5

xeno3d
08-05-2005, 02:34 PM
I just noticed this on over at Maxon's website.. this is frickin incredible..:applause:

ftp://ftp2.maxon.net/pub/r95/audirendercomp.mov

Newstream
08-05-2005, 02:52 PM
The new browser kicks ass too! :thumbsup:

ftp://ftp2.maxon.net/pub/r95/Browser_web.mov

/ Alex

michaeli
08-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the head up.

xeno3d
08-05-2005, 03:16 PM
8m59s vs 50s..... thats HUGE

ooo
08-05-2005, 03:17 PM
I just noticed this on over at Maxon's website.. this is frickin incredible..:applause:

ftp://ftp2.maxon.net/pub/r95/audirendercomp.mov

This alone is worth the upgrade! :) :) :)

odo

trescool
08-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Yup its gonna be a costly month just bought cebas FR2 for C4D as well.

jerry0520a
08-05-2005, 03:27 PM
can't get the file

R1PPER
08-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Look forward to everyone sharing there presets. : )

duderender
08-05-2005, 04:40 PM
That is SICK! (referring to render)

I'm still on the fence on the 9.5 update but this sure knocked me over. FR2 is what is holding me up on the decision to get the 9.5 update.

wuensch
08-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Boaahhh--- THAT is fast---
and it looks identical to my eyes--

Phew---
:bounce:

Olli

Darth Mole
08-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Holy crap. 539 seconds vs 50. Over 1,000 percent faster! Or 10.78 times in old money.

xeno3d
08-05-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm drooling over this 9.5 update.. :thumbsup:

umblefugly
08-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Holy crap. 539 seconds vs 50. Over 1,000 percent faster! Or 10.78 times in old money.

Indeed....:buttrock:

shakes
08-05-2005, 09:24 PM
weeeow!! that is so exciting!

lightblitter22
08-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Doesn't mean that everything will be 10 times faster. Area shadows and blurry reflections were damn slow before. Just speeding them up probably made this scene fly compared to before.

shakes
08-05-2005, 09:41 PM
I'd love to know how it goes with radiosity/HDRI. Can't wait for a demo version.

imashination
08-05-2005, 09:53 PM
If the audi scene used has GI added then you could expect a 20 times speed increase instead. Roughly.

tonare
08-05-2005, 10:01 PM
STraight rocks, dam.
This will be worth being in debt on my credit card lol, and it will be my favorite bill to pay.:D

Awesome work Maxon.

shakes
08-05-2005, 10:01 PM
If the audi scene used has GI added then you could expect a 20 times speed increase instead. Roughly.

this is life changing stuff..if this turns out to be true, Cinema will be the fastest renderer on the planet by a HUGE margin-(wasn't it already one of the quickest, even though it was slow?!!) surely people will stampede over to Maxon!

lightblitter22
08-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Alright... lets see that R9.5 demo. :)

JamesMK
08-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Doesn't mean that everything will be 10 times faster.
That's a correct observation. These kind of numbers apply mostly to those scenes containing all of the bells and whistles that were really slow before.

However, what's more important is probably the fact that ordinary scenes (just standard lights and no blurry effects or areashadows) typically render between 2 and 4 times faster too. This effect is a result of the improved antialiasing calculations, and it's very apparent in any scene with a sufficient amount of polygons at rendertime (meaning: any scene with hypernurbs objects, dense parametric surfaces, or SPD)

Ernest Burden
08-05-2005, 11:20 PM
what's more important is probably the fact that ordinary scenes (just standard lights and no blurry effects or areashadows) typically render between 2 and 4 times faster too. This effect is a result of the improved antialiasing calculations

So it's an improvement in the AA routines? I often render without AA, and find AR to be too slow. So I may not be getting much here. Or maybe I will. I'll buy the upgrade and see how it goes.

My son asked me why Maxon was handing out Etch-A-Sketch's, "what does that have to do with Cinema?" he asked today when I got home from SIGGY. I said I supposed they wanted to give me something to play with while I was waiting for C4D to render.

kromekat
08-06-2005, 12:11 AM
Wow! :0

Shakes - that new animated avatar of yours rocks! - love it! ;D

Accipiter
08-06-2005, 12:46 AM
Shakes - that new animated avatar of yours rocks! - love it! ;D

Agreed! Yours rocks too btw. Any chance of seeing the rest of that image? :thumbsup: Mine? Well, that's due to my wildlife photography addiction...

As for R9.5, already chattin' with Rafi. :D

cheers,

Marc Oliver

shakes
08-06-2005, 12:50 AM
hey thanks kromekat! but I agree with Accipiter- yours is just beautiful.love to see more too.(i did like that pingpong c4d one too)

kromekat
08-06-2005, 01:06 AM
lol! - thanks guys! :*) - I'll post the full image in a couple of weeks! ;)

Ric535
08-06-2005, 01:36 AM
seeing as i use a stupid no. of area shadows in my scenes this update will benefit me a lot!

JamesMK
08-06-2005, 08:25 AM
So it's an improvement in the AA routines? I often render without AA, and find AR to be too slow.
Just made a quick test with AA switched off, and 9.5 is still a teensy bit faster, but not like the other cases mentioned (we're talking a 5 - 7% speed increase)... but on the other hand, if your renders are slow even without AA, I guess you're using GI and/or arealights/shadows and so on, and will thus get serious speed-ups anyway.

But then again, I have to assume you can't possibly be making the final production renders without AA?

Katachi
08-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Doesn't mean that everything will be 10 times faster. Area shadows and blurry reflections were damn slow before. Just speeding them up probably made this scene fly compared to before.

man you are never satisfied are you? :) (What about the Maxwell-9.5 render comparison you wanted to create with my rendering? Did it exceed 20 hours? I assume as you havenīt posted anything yet it did?). Yes, it did made this scene fly, but thatīs what the typo says too doesnīt it? And thatīs what this update features doesnīt it?! ;)

lllab
08-06-2005, 11:30 AM
maxon really did a excellent job!

area lights and blurry effects are so important for good images- now it is possible and FAST:-)
10x incredible, now it really is one of the fastest again i think, i am really happy with this update!

cheers
stefan

Ernest Burden
08-06-2005, 01:27 PM
But then again, I have to assume you can't possibly be making the final production renders without AA?

I usually do not use any AA for my final renders. My work involves a lot of Photoshop post, and in the end it doesn't make much difference. I would prefer to use AA but don't like seeing render times double.

I also don't use area shadows or blurry reflections for the same reasons. Maybe I'm going to take just as long, but for just about every reflective surface I use a niose pattern, scaled really small, which is more like a physically modeled surface to blur reflections.

At the bottom is a link to my site which will show my 'look' and you will see why I can get by without AA.

JamesMK
08-06-2005, 03:14 PM
At the bottom is a link to my site which will show my 'look' and you will see why I can get by without AA.
Ah, rather a unique style, and I can fully see why the speed-ups might probably not affect your stuff much.

lightblitter22
08-06-2005, 05:05 PM
man you are never satisfied are you? :) (What about the Maxwell-9.5 render comparison you wanted to create with my rendering? Did it exceed 20 hours? I assume as you havenīt posted anything yet it did?).

Nope. I had something else to do and Maxwell was hogging up 100% of both CPUs, so I stopped the render. Didn't bother re-rendering after that. I'll do it when I have a spare hour or three though. The scene should take about 3 - 4 hours to render clean with blurry materials, not 20+ as you suggest.

STRAT
08-06-2005, 05:29 PM
any speed increases will make me happy. i'm hoping for atleast a 2-3 times speed increase across the board in my work. i'll wait and see :)

Continuumx
08-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Nope. I had something else to do and Maxwell was hogging up 100% of both CPUs, so I stopped the render. Didn't bother re-rendering after that. I'll do it when I have a spare hour or three though. The scene should take about 3 - 4 hours to render clean with blurry materials, not 20+ as you suggest.

Lightblitter (Rendermania?); Trying upscaling your resolution and use the -hd render mode to hardisk this I have found yeilds faster results than standard mode using Maxwell especially for production sized images. I did a 2450 x 1600 test render to see how long it would take, and I got a excellent result in 5 hours using the -hd mode of a scene just under half a million polygons. You have to have minium 1000x1000 pixel render size to use the "-hd" mode.

I am finding AR and Maxwell to work well together- I cannot wait for the update, the ambient occlusion passes will be wonderful to add in post to Maxwell images.

Katachi
08-06-2005, 08:31 PM

I can wait :)

AdamT
08-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Why don't you set priority to low? Just add the switch: -p:low. There's no way in hell that scene renders clean in 3-4 hours. :)

lightblitter22
08-06-2005, 09:37 PM
I'm letting it render right now. This is what it looks like @ 3h 26m, sample level 16. Note that everything in the frame save for the walls is blurry. Even the light fixtures.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1243/3hours26min0ak.jpg

AdamT
08-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Not too bad. At that rate it should be noise free in another 60 or so hours.

Continuumx
08-06-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm letting it render right now. This is what it looks like @ 3h 26m, sample level 16. Note that everything in the frame save for the walls is blurry. Even the light fixtures.

This is offtopic a bit but if you are going to do a comparison of renders, you *MUST* use at least the *SAME* camera angle, the *SAME* render resolution, and as best as possible the *SAME* lighting parameters.

LOL!

lightblitter22
08-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Just had to reboot, lol. Windows went into 'pick your user account' mode while it was rendering and refused to accept my admin password. After I rebooted it accepted the same password to log me in. Piece of shite OS!

Btw, you are right about comparing the renderers. Samir doesn't have GI on in his render, and what's slowing his down is the blurry reflections. Maxwell does have GI on at full blast, and what's slowing it down are not the blurries but the number of fricking GI bounces in this room. Its a real maze for a pathtracer with no max bounce setting to chew through.

I don't care either way. I'm going to be using Finalrender as my main workhorse renderer after Siggraph.

Katachi
08-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Btw, you are right about comparing the renderers. Samir doesn't have GI on in his render, and what's slowing his down is the blurry reflections. Maxwell does have GI on at full blast, and what's slowing it down are not the blurries but the number of fricking GI bounces in this room. Its a real maze for a pathtracer with no max bounce setting to chew through.

When I render my scene without Best AA cinema renders my render within less than 4 hours. And you have also 2 cpus while I am only using one. And you are using XEONS which should be faster than my 3000 Athlon too. You see Cinema 4D is faster. and the blurry reflections and area lights and area shadows have amazingly lots of bounces too at best aa.

And with 9.5 I didnīt need any GI as you can also render good scene lightings without it. (btw. I have 7 lights in the scene which increases the bounces even more).

Next time donīt be so fast with your judgements. ;)

Ric535
08-07-2005, 12:02 PM
there is no point comparing AR and Maxwell, they are completely different to one another :)

Katachi
08-07-2005, 03:10 PM
there is no point comparing AR and Maxwell, they are completely different to one another :)

yes I know, but he said that 20 hours for my rendering was slow and that Maxwell can handle the same quality at far less time (which is not true).

Ric535
08-07-2005, 03:31 PM
yes I know, but he said that 20 hours for my rendering was slow and that Maxwell can handle the same quality at far less time (which is not true).

no probably not without the help of a noise reducer, heres a render i did in 15 hrs in Maxwell, it took less than most interiors because a lot of light can get in because of the large windows, i used neat image to reduce the noise but it is still quite obvious -

http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=1018684&Start=1&Artist=Ric%5F535&ByArtist=Yes

MJV
08-07-2005, 04:35 PM
no probably not without the help of a noise reducer, heres a render i did in 15 hrs in Maxwell, it took less than most interiors because a lot of light can get in because of the large windows, i used neat image to reduce the noise but it is still quite obvious -

http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=1018684&Start=1&Artist=Ric%5F535&ByArtist=Yes

Excellent render Ric! Not a Maxwell user myself but it seems it gives very impressive results if given enough time.

Continuumx
08-07-2005, 05:25 PM

They are completely different but work great together if you use them for their strengths rather than trying to replace one or the other.

CGTalk Moderation
08-07-2005, 05:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.