PDA

View Full Version : Raptor model for a hl2 dead-mod

freestyle771
08-05-2005, 02:22 PM
http://membres.lycos.fr/aurasdespaquerettes/big_raptor2.jpg
Hey!
This is one of my first threads on this forum, even if I registered ages ago.
So here we go, this model is a velociraptor model based on the Jurassic Park I/II/III ones.(sort of a mix)
This is the first texture I've ever made for a model, and actually, this my my real first model (others were just for practising).
I did that for a mod called Trespassing, originally for Farcry, but then we decided to go for Half Life 2. Sadly this mod died because of loads of lazy team members.
C&C are mostly welcome !

PS: excuse my english mistakes, I'm french :scream: !

Saramago
08-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Great model. Does it Move, I would like to see a creepy sideways glance.

TwistedReality
08-05-2005, 03:14 PM
I really like this raptor it looks really cool, my crit is that the lower jaw is too long, put the tip of your thumb ontop of the tip of the lower jaw and you'll know what I mean.... hope this crit helps :D

ArchangelTalon
08-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Looking great. Lovely texture, I like the contrast around the eyes :P

I think his tail could maybe do with being a bit longer, he looks a little overweighted towards the front and their tails were used as counter-balance. Maybe it's just the pose/angle.

Headless
08-05-2005, 04:08 PM
This is some really nice modelling and texture work.

I'm not quite sure about the little tufts of hair, but then maybe i'm thinking too much Jurassic Park and too little natural history. :)

Also it may be a little high on polys for the Half Life engine. Alyx is only 350 odd poly's more than this, and most enemy characters are about 2500-5000 polys. Since the mod is not longer running though, I guess it doesn't matter.

AdamAtomic
08-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Yay dino!!! Looks awesome! I agree though, I think the tail could stand to be quite a bit thicker at the base, it was very important to raptors physiologically to have a very thick tail to balance against their bodies.

Vectorius
08-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Hey man!! That's looking very great...just one little question..have you use a normal map for this..i mean the texture look awesome...so it's with or without normal maps?

bon travail mec!:thumbsup:

freestyle771
08-05-2005, 05:37 PM
hey guys, ok so there we go:

Saramago: I made a short animation to see how it looks like, but as my animating skills suck a bit, I'd prefer not to show U the video lol. I myte re-rigg it and make a new video.

TwistedReality: U're right, I saw that when I animated it, it looked like a pinhana when hiw mouth was closed :p I'll tweak it up ;)

ArchangelTalon: This is an angle effect, the tail is mucher longer than it looks on that pic :)

Headless: Nobody knows if they had hair or feathers so whatever, he looks funky :p. About the polycount, U're right, but I could reduce it if I took the time :)

Adam Atomic: Thanks for the advice, I'll modify the base of the tail :)

Fiolka: Merci toi l'ami (thx mate) . Nope, no normal map, only a diffuse and a bump map.I might show these maps later :)

Thanks for advices, I'll consider them, and apply the requested changes ;)

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2005, 05:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.