PDA

View Full Version : Is my system about to blow?

Metro-Digital
08-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Hi, I am busy rendering an animation, with GI, and my computer has started to make a beeping type sound. Like its warning me or something. Is it too hot? Its a hot day here, and it feels really hot at the back of the PSU. Is there some way to check the temperature of the inside of the computer? What is a reccommended temperature for a PC? My system is an AMD64 3800+ processor, 2GB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 6600GT, 74GB Raptor, and a 200GB WD HDD. Am I ok to carry on rendering?

vravro
08-05-2005, 02:17 PM
I'm not exactly qualified to give you much info, but I use Speedfan to check temperatures: http://www.sofotex.com/SpeedFan-download_L4655.html

It'll show you if the temperatures are two high.. i think :)

deathman20
08-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Well most motherboards today have tempature sensors in it so you can read the temps of the motherboard and CPU tempature at least. You have to install the software that came with the motherboard, or you have to find a third party software to see it.

And usually when its beeping somethings wrong. It could be CPU temp, System temp, CPU fan stopped, Power supply fan stopped, or voltages that are out of spec by a certain percentage.

Truely you woon't know til you install and find out what it is. But my a suggestion since you don't know what it is stop doing rendering/3d work/gaming/anything that works the CPU hard til you find out what it is. Otherwise you risk damaging your system severly.

rebo
08-05-2005, 02:57 PM
MotherboardMonitor 5 (MBM5) is a decent motherboard monitoring tool with support for many different mobos. By the sounds of it "something" is overheating using a tool such as this will let you identifiy what.

The worst that can happen is a fan stop working for some reason and you not realise until you do permanent damage. If this is the case it should be pretty easy to identify the problem.

If all seems to be working but you have a heat problem what can you do? Probably the following in order of extremeness:

0) Move wires and tie cables together to increase air flow inside case.
1) Move expansion cards into different slots so they dont block air flow or are grouped together too tightly.
2) Use the CMOS to increase relevant fan speeds.
3) add more case fan(s).
4) swap case fan(s) for one with high throughput (possibly use a 120mm intake fan on side panel if it will fit)
5) remove current heatsink fan clean off contact gunk and replace with good stuff like artic silver.
6) Replace your PSU with one that has a dual fan system to suck hot air from the top of your case.
7) remove current heatsink fan clean off contact gunk and replace with a better HSF system.

Kerem
08-06-2005, 12:57 PM
I have same problem with my previous Pentium 4 2.40 - Beeping from the speaker when making render. My mainboard was Gigabyte 848p and it has a "PC Health Status" option on Bios. I checked it after that beeps and I saw cpu temperature is 58 degrees. After that I placed a Thermaltake Spark 7 cpu cooler instead of stock and problem solved.

I am currently using Amd Athlon 64 3000+ with Zalman 7700cu Cpu cooler with Thermaltake Tsunami case - I just checked on bios it says 32c degrees (wheather is near 35-40c today outside ! :))

Also I suggest, replace your video card cooler with Zalman v700 vga cooler - It helps to take the general temperature down.Also you can use a power supply with 2 fans, it can help a bit too.

All the best...

CGTalk Moderation
08-06-2005, 12:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.