View Full Version : To buy PowerMac or wait?
08-05-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm in a period of upgrading my workstation...and was thinking about PowerMac (i'm on PC now) for some time now...and this whole processor thing came up :)
My upgrade cycle is between 2 and 4 years..if it works, don't touch it ;)
I think I'll buy new machine by the end of the year (I'm thinking between late September and mid November)...
Thoughts, any thoughts are welcome...
Machine will run mostly what I run now - Maya, Lightwave and standard battery of Adobe 2D applications (Freehand, Illustrator, Photoshop and After Effects)... I'm seriously considering to buy modo now...and if mac comes to play - obviously shake and final cut (instead of Premiere) are definitively an option...not to mention I might fork out for audio also...
- edit -
I forgot...I'm looking at Dual 2.7
My 2 cents...
If you will be waiting until December and your upgrade cycle is 2-4 years, I'd try to wait until the new Intel based Powermacs are avaialble and save extra pennies to get a fully-loaded one.
While the PPC usable universal binaries will stick around for years, you'll be better future-proofed if you wait for the new architecture.
08-05-2005, 11:00 PM
If you are a pro, talk to your accountant... Seriously, knowing that you can sell a mac at 20% lost (or less) after one year while fiscaly your mac lose 30% means that you will MAKE money when changing computer.
This is how pros keep using top end machines: it doesnt cost them anything to change (other than the first investment) and the productivity gain from having a new computer every year is important.
On the productivity part of things, if you are about to do a lot of video work, switching on a mac right now to work with FCP / Motions can make you save time (money) right away. So you have to consider this also...
Anyways, my point was that if you arent a home user, there is no reason to not change a computer every year!
And new powermac models will probably not be out until next summer. First upgrade is going to be the laptop line.
I think that PPC resale value will take a decent size hit in the months preceeding the release of the first Powermac Intel line (not to mention after)... so I wouldn't put as much faith in resale values this time around... but it is a good point.
My reccomendation was mostly based on Dominik's upgrade cycle... I'd rather hold off an extra 6-8 months and get the Intel line if I'm committing to using it as a primary workstation for 2+ years... then you have the added bonus of an extra 6-8 months of savings for much more Ram and maybe a Raid5 setup. But that's just me.
08-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Mantat, excellent reply - that's exactly why I've mentioned my upgrade cycle.. beacuse if I buy Mac (when I buy equpiement - any) I always opt for operating leasing...that way I get to pay for machine/s for 2 years, and then I just switch to new models and continue paying...I can also keep the machine for little pay-up
I was just thinking if it's viable to buy PowerMac in next few months..since I'll be stuck with it next 2 years
08-05-2005, 11:19 PM
I think JDex has a point...though - damnit - I'll have to wait and wait to get a new toy then :) ..that's the hardest part ;)
08-06-2005, 12:41 AM
Mac resale value has been pretty good because Apple (IBM) new system releases are longer compare to Intel base PC. A two year old Apple is not far from Apple’s current line of computers. That should change once Apple switches to Intel.
08-06-2005, 03:52 AM
Ok.. I just bought a dual G5 so this might be a bit biased...
Anyway one thing to remember is, when the intel machines do come out, for some time the majority of available apps will still be PPC native. It will take a little while for intel versions to be made available.
How long I don't know. Universal binaries should make things very quick, with Modo being only a 20 minute port.
But how this might relate to people with rather old hulking looking apps like Maya for instance, I don't know.
Something to consider anyway.
08-06-2005, 04:00 AM
I believe first intel based Macs should be out in Q2 next year..and this will be first generation hardware.. and along that note - PPC would be still heavily supported atleast a year from initial launch... hmm.. I don't know :D
08-06-2005, 09:38 AM
i can't stand people charging $1500+ for a 2nd hand singl CPU 1.6 G5
Some Mac users are insane when it comes to the value they thing they can honestly give to their old system. Seriously.
$1500 will buy me 3 windows systems that are faster, including 17" flatpanel.
08-06-2005, 09:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
vBulletin v3.0.5, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.