PDA

View Full Version : Some info Prman 13

patric
08-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Some nice features to appear in the next release of Pixar Renderman 13.
Nice to see they are out there on the frontline.

Shaders and textures

* Memory use reduction
* Wavelet noise (paper presented at SIGGRAPH 2005)
* Shading Language modernization
* SIMD shader function plug-ins

Illumination

* Importance-sampled HDRI (less samples with better quality)
* Fast, baked color bleeding.

Geometry

* Level-set plug-ins (custom implicit surfaces)
* Brickmaps as geometry
* Improvements for hair and fur
* Memory consuption reduction
* Smaller deep shadowmaps
* Faster render times

Pipelines

* Better statistics
* Micropolygon display drivers
* New Language bindings (they are surveying clients for future findings like Python)

A new experimental feature includes making use of the GPU for faster rendering. The idea is to write the co-shader in Cg, this co-shader will be used anly when rendering with the GPU, not with the CPU.

This technique has pros and cons. At certain moments can render faster or slower, an example of faster renders is with volumetrics, the case of longer times is when the GPU shader is short, and other is when the scene has small shading grids.

Something that was made very clear is that GPU rendering will not be a supported featured, to much experimental.

The last feature is that PRMan 13 will be multithreaded.

LINK

http://www.deathfall.com/article.php?sid=5608

rebo
08-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Wow I'm really looking forward to see their implementation of level set functions.

mustique
08-05-2005, 10:59 AM
multithreaded! :)
Cool. Hope the new PRMaya renderer will have that feature too.

Bonedaddy
08-05-2005, 04:50 PM
The thing that got me most stoked was the last stupid RAT trick they showed, which was to have updated rendering -- so you render, then can move the camera, change lights, change materials, etc. Even can distribute it to a renderfarm if you want. Ambocc on a million poly model that takes 5 seconds? Heck yeah.

lazzhar
08-05-2005, 09:22 PM
The thing that got me most stoked was the last stupid RAT trick they showed, which was to have updated rendering -- so you render, then can move the camera, change lights, change materials, etc. Even can distribute it to a renderfarm if you want. Ambocc on a million poly model that takes 5 seconds? Heck yeah.

Jason, did you anyone put online the stupid tricks of this year?

mummey
08-05-2005, 09:29 PM
The Mac OSX version of RAT has caught my eye. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to try it out.

Lyr
08-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Looks like the best just got better. Can't wait till I am actually in a position to use this software.

TopherMartini
08-05-2005, 09:58 PM
The Mac OSX version of RAT has caught my eye. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to try it out.

Ditto... I was looking for a Slim-alternative, but now Slim is available natively! (well... as native as X11 :thumbsup: )

beaker
08-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Did anyone write down all the web pages of the guys that did the Stupid Rat Tricks? They all had links to their pages in their presentations. Either that or just the names of the presenters so we can just google them.

Bonedaddy
08-05-2005, 11:10 PM
The last one was done by Hal Bertram, but he hasn't put anything about it up on his webpage yet. I don't remember the names of the other guys, unfortunately. I'm sure renderman.org will put the RAT tricks up at some point.

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2005, 11:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.