PDA

View Full Version : Which is best for modeling a 3d detailed head?

Toniko
08-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Well, I'm just wondering :)
I'm a 3dsmax user, but I'm not going to talk much about it :)

By the way, for most 3d modelers including 3dsmax, Maya, Lightwave, or any type of 3d modelling programs you guys used, What do you guys think is the best way to model a head (and a body) and why is it the best way?

-Spline Modelling
-Polygonal Modelling (Box, sphere, etc.)
-NURBS Modelling

Thanks, just like to know because I'm going to model a detailed character soon :)

Yourworstnightmare
08-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Poly by poly i think it's called, thats when you start to model from a plane then extrude edges and push and pull vertices, for me it gives me more control over the mesh topology and the overall shape.

Yeoh
08-06-2005, 12:28 AM
I'd say poly modelling too... you can pretty quickly block in the shapes to get the proper proportions before putting in the details.

Toniko
08-06-2005, 03:48 AM
Hmmm, I'll then try Poly

Guy In Rubber Suit
08-06-2005, 03:55 AM
I'd say poly box modelling. That's been it for it me basically. I just like the way I have more control over the edges I put in and where I cut. Oh yeah and I use Maya.

bardur
08-06-2005, 07:17 PM
I have been modeling heads in different ways and THE BEST is DEFENETLY poly modeling (poly by poly) IMO..

Regards
Bardur

ambient-whisper
08-07-2005, 09:54 AM
it doesnt matter what you use. some people say that they like poly by poly. some start from a box and chizzel away. some use a combination of methods. like starting from a box, getting it roughed out, and work the rest of it in Zbrush.

in the end it doesnt matter how much control you get from whatever method because you can always redraw/fix the cage with the topology brush. you should be focusing on what matters, and thats the overall sculpt.

bulzae
08-08-2005, 09:02 AM
well,each process has its pro and cons
for me....
box modeling gives me more sense of propotions
poly by poly modelling give me more control over the surface topology...
i think it all depends upon user to user

abielmuren
08-08-2005, 09:31 AM
what about spline linear modeling?, with surface, and then we can use polymodeling for more details.... thats work too?

karthikarctic
08-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Hi,

I have been modelling with boxes and i don't seem to get the fluency. I was wondering if there was any other way. How do we model faces using NURBS in 3ds max?

Is there a way to create faces using quad patch/

pls advice.

cschandramouli
08-13-2005, 07:24 AM
NURBS! :O I've never been comfortable with it... Splines are okay... I'll always vote for poly... or box... Both are almost one and the same with just few differences... Poly gives you (rather should I say me :D) more control... POLY POLY POLY, it is....

Mouli

MarieL
08-16-2005, 01:20 PM
There's a fantastic tutorial called Jean of arc (http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/head1.asp) by Michel Roger which goes through the process step by step, and is the best I've seen out there about polymodelling.

tachy0n
08-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Personally i dont really limit myself to one method cause they are all useful. When you have a set of good references, then poly by poly is probably the best because you can quickly get a nice mesh that way. OTOH when you are freestyling then box modelling is probably better so that you can experiement with form and volume better. Splines can also work nicely if you are eg tracing a 3D head, like from scanned data. Its all useful.

HowardB
08-17-2005, 08:51 AM
Personally i dont really limit myself to one method cause they are all useful. When you have a set of good references, then poly by poly is probably the best because you can quickly get a nice mesh that way. OTOH when you are freestyling then box modelling is probably better so that you can experiement with form and volume better. Splines can also work nicely if you are eg tracing a 3D head, like from scanned data. Its all useful.

Like tachyon said the more techniques you know the better, you can work in all if you want, using all there advantages.
I like to start roughing in with splines to nurbs starting from the eyes and mouth, then convert to polys to finish up assembling . I like nurbs and splines in the very beginning because i can quickly wip out a rough shape with good flowing topology.

show_tobe
08-18-2005, 06:15 PM
i like poly too

ambient-whisper
08-19-2005, 02:12 AM
i would like to add this though.

poly by poly is fine and dandy, if you know how to make it look good in the end. how much control you get means nothing, if in the end it looks poopy.

inexperienced users often think that its easy laying out their loopies out by doing parts of models and then assembling them later. however that usually works against them as they find out that none of the parts work together as a whole ( look wise. ). so they end up going back and redoing sections, screwing up their flows entirely. which renders their initial loopies useless.

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2005, 02:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.