PDA

View Full Version : **Tommy Boy Animation! **

jcollins
08-05-2005, 07:13 AM
http://www.jeremycollins.net/images/tommy_splash.jpg

Hey all-

So, I've been working on this little animation for about a month and a half in the small amount of free time I have away from work. Its a clip of dialogue from the movie "Tommy Boy". My thanks to Andrew Silke (for the ever-popular Generi-Rig), Miguel Gonzalez Vine (for Lowman) and my bud Kip Carbone (for the lighting). Even though its in the Final Animation section, I'm always open for constructive criticism you guys may have, as I often go back and change these anims.

Enjoy.

DivX 720x486 version (4mb) (http://www.jeremycollins.net/movies/tommy_boy/tommy_divx.avi)
Quicktime 480x320 version (12mb) (http://www.jeremycollins.net/movies/tommy_boy/tommy_sor3.mov)

jeremy
jcollins3d@gmail.com

mberrynk
08-06-2005, 12:47 AM
i think this is pretty nice work, i love that movie though so i might be biased...i think your handling of generi is good, smooth movements and i love the face of lowman when he says "that" (that was awesome)...nice job

azloha
08-06-2005, 03:12 AM
hm, nice animations, effort on illustrating the emotion with facial expression and body langauge. but, take that~!

emotion fluctuates, crashing a car, maybe piss u off, feeling annoying, feeling sad, and this could be becoz of a whole lots of reasons. yes, someone had tell me, do compell a story.

ur expression could be improved by arousing different emotions. clearly u had just consider one kind of emotion. maybe u maybe constrainted with the dialogue already.

jcollins
08-06-2005, 03:19 AM
hm, nice animations, effort on illustrating the emotion with facial expression and body langauge. but, take that~!

emotion fluctuates, crashing a car, maybe piss u off, feeling annoying, feeling sad, and this could be becoz of a whole lots of reasons. yes, someone had tell me, do compell a story.

ur expression could be improved by arousing different emotions. clearly u had just consider one kind of emotion. maybe u maybe constrainted with the dialogue already.

azloha:
I have no idea what any of that meant, but I'll take it as a compliment. :)

mberrynk:
Thanks Mike. Glad you liked the animation.

jeremy

SpliffmanCometh
08-07-2005, 06:35 PM
In my opinion, that is some solid animation :thumbsup:

i'm also a big fan of your "I am sancho" reel (funniest sh*t)

keep up the good work eh :applause:

BTW: did you ever attend Vancouver Film school?

jcollins
08-07-2005, 07:01 PM
In my opinion, that is some solid animation :thumbsup:
i'm also a big fan of your "I am sancho" reel (funniest sh*t)
keep up the good work eh :applause:
BTW: did you ever attend Vancouver Film school?

Thanks man. I appreciate the kind words. I'm not so sure what you're talking about in regards to the "I am sancho" thing. I think you may be confusing me with someone else. Although, I'd like to see it if you have a link.

I didn't go to VFS. I have my BFA from Ringling.

-jeremy

scottiedoo
08-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Hey Jeremy,

not a bad animation, however I some crits to think about. If you agree or disagree thats fine, this is just an observation.

First thing I noticed was the lift of the purple character off the car to his upright position. The movement is really stiff. He just springs up and sticks straight up. There is no overshoot with his head flinging up and past the resting position. His head is big and looks heavy, so add some weight to it. On a note on top of this part, the movement also is very linear from from his head down to the upright position and then to the lip sync, try blending it in better to overlap the actions and then the facial expressions.

To comment on your acting movements with the audio clip I have a few suggestions. To me the voices on the audio don't really fit the animation movements and poses. The purple character's movements seem to go with the tone of the actors voice. It has a little too much gesture in the character. The character should be still be in his "shock" phase a little longer. The lowman character isn't that bad, I like him better than the generi character. Just some things to think about, i'm not saying they are terrible, but i think a little more natural poses and movements will really connect the character to the voices.

I'd put a little more time into the walking parts on the lowman character. A little more toe flap. I know you make it look better, just spend a little more work on it. Its those little parts that can take away from you animation if you neglect them.

Now some things I did like so keep doing them!

The lowman part "but that was awesome" section was good. I like that, I could feel a stronger connection with the voice to the characters actions. Especially the antipation with his arms next to his head before he brings them down for the "awesome" good job. Like it was just building up inside and he was trying to hold in his excitement until it just then releases. Thats a nice part.

Anyways, thats all that I can see for now. Some other minor things, but thats getting picky.

Good luck and nice job!

-Scott

jcollins
08-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Anyways, thats all that I can see for now. Some other minor things, but thats getting picky. Good luck and nice job!

Thanks for the crit Scott. There's some very valid info in there. Much appreciated.

-jeremy

cg-artist0001
08-07-2005, 11:37 PM
I'm a huge fan of the film, and I thought your animation was really well done. Very smooth character movement, nice facial expressions and movement to follow. I really loved the movements and expressions of the Farley bot.

nice job man.

Corey

R3desiGN
08-07-2005, 11:45 PM
This is really freakin funny hahahhahahahahah. Make the story a bit longer pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease :) :applause:

scottiedoo
08-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the crit Scott. There's some very valid info in there. Much appreciated.

-jeremy

no problem Jeremy, looking forward to Barnyard, The Movie. I have a few friends who also work at Omation as well.

Good luck in finishing the film!

-Scott

jcollins
08-08-2005, 12:19 AM
no problem Jeremy, looking forward to Barnyard, The Movie. I have a few friends who also work at Omation as well.

Good luck in finishing the film!

Excellent. I think you're in for a treat.

-collins.

Unnamed422
08-08-2005, 03:31 AM
Great job man, you did a beautiful job with it. Great skills and i liked the facial/mouth expressions on.. blue guy. Too bad the robot guy <sorry i forget which is generi and which is lowman> has a solid jaw and no room for expression because he could've showed being more "stoked" about the wreck and then more of being "bummed" out feeling sorry for the guy.

my two cents, props to ya :applause:

jcollins
08-08-2005, 03:46 AM
Great job man, you did a beautiful job with it. Great skills and i liked the facial/mouth expressions on.. blue guy. Too bad the robot guy <sorry i forget which is generi and which is lowman> has a solid jaw and no room for expression because he could've showed being more "stoked" about the wreck and then more of being "bummed" out feeling sorry for the guy.
my two cents, props to ya :applause:

Thanks Unnamed422-

Yeah, I wish LowMan had some facial controls as well. Although I hear that Miguel is going to be putting them in his next release of the rig. If it's possible I'd like to export the animation from my file now and put it on a new rig with facial and do some lipsync with it.

Originally, this was going to be done with 2 Generi-Rigs, but I thought it needed some contrast other than just texturally.

-collins.

CGTalk Moderation
08-08-2005, 03:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.