PDA

View Full Version : Anti-aliasing in MAX5....wich filter?!

j3ro3n
10-30-2002, 04:24 PM
Hey yall!!

I just got myself MAX5...I just couldn't wait to test the renderengine's capability. I am used to working with MAX4.2 in combination with Brazil Alpha.

After making a scene containing 1 photonic skylight and rendering it, I just wasn't satisfied with the quality of the anti-aliasing. I tried other filters, but wich one is the best to use?!

Can onyone help me out on this one?!

Thnx in advance!
Grtz and happy modelling
-=(j3)=-

ilasolomon
10-31-2002, 10:52 PM
1. do you render with max5 default or brazil?
2. do you mean which image filters for AA? like 'area', 'video', etc...
3. do you render to video or monitor screen?
4. & tell us excatly what's the problem with your render? posting a sample image would help much.

j3ro3n
11-02-2002, 11:32 AM
This is what I was reffering to. Do you see the jagged edges in the windows in de top of the building and around the darker stripes of masonry?!

Maybe I just have to render is in a higher resolution with the standard scanline renderer, but with brazil i didn't gave these kinda problems.

I am rendering this for printing, so eventually it has to be at highres (42cmx29,7cm@300dpi). And I think my problem is in those filters you were describing.

So, I'm using MAX5...no brazil or whatsoever... :)

JuRrAsStOiL
11-02-2002, 06:59 PM
Try Mitchell-Natravelli or Catmull-Rom
But I think you used lighttracer, right?
if you use lighttracer it could be the
samples/rays that are simply to low

s2a-adamk
11-03-2002, 07:12 AM
cook variable @ filter size of 1.6 - 1.8 is my personal fav. Agree with previous - you have a sample problem there, not filter.

a

j3ro3n
11-03-2002, 09:29 PM
Thnx for the feedback yall...but I think there is something wrong with the settings of the light tracer...

I've enclosed a screenshot of my settings...I used other filters for the anti-aliasing but it didn't gave me any satisfiing results... In all of the renders the rays/samp. were 500....maybe even that's too low?!

Anyway, I really appriciate the support... :thumbsup:

I will keep on trying :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.