PDA

View Full Version : Quick way to cut model in half

chaostest
08-05-2005, 04:56 AM
hey there, i was just wondering if there was a quick way to cut a model in half along y,to be mirrored later,shes centered but i didnt want to take the chance of selecting wrong polys,any advice is good advice,thanks again

Puffin
08-05-2005, 06:20 AM
There's a few plugins out there that will help you to delete geometry on a desired axis. The one i've used forever is Halfkill which is a no frills, no options sort of thing... it just deletes anything on the -X axis. Do a search for "mirror" on flay.com and you'll find a few things to choose from.

chaostest
08-05-2005, 06:40 AM
I grouped everything on y,and deleted,now i cant mirror the results without getting a seem,like both sides are mm's off the axis cause you could see the empty seem

Rod Seffen
08-05-2005, 08:06 AM
I grouped everything on y,and deleted,now i cant mirror the results without getting a seem,like both sides are mm's off the axis cause you could see the empty seem
Make sure you have no morph maps on the model affecting any of the points along the seam, because they will not weld until you delete the morph map.

IC12
08-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Sounds like you've deleted the middle points.

If you haven't, select all the points which should be in the middle and use Set Value to get them back on the axis.

chaostest
08-06-2005, 11:32 AM
alright,i did a set value ,it looks like every thing is right,but the sleeve on mirrored side comes out like a smooth shift gone horribly wrong,welding is neccessary after a mirror

blaqDeaph
08-07-2005, 02:18 AM

You can get around this problem by selecting the points closest to the y-axis, and doing a set value ([v], and choose y-axis, and 0).

RPG2006
08-07-2005, 11:49 AM
I've found in the past that sometimes you can accidentally mirror twice, and what you'll end up with is duplicate polys on your model.

Try merging all points (m) automatic, and then in the details tab polygons->more->unify polygons.

Obviously it's a bit easier to give advice if we can see a screenshot of the problem:)

RPG

chaostest
08-07-2005, 03:33 PM
I did set value,then merge points,now symetry works so i know the model is even,but now i got these creases everywhere,there not bad ,but it will eat away at my mind if i dont fix it,any suggestions Thanks for all the replys.......i almost dont feel new to lightwave anymore but i still haqvent meessed with bones or animating,if i can get this character model and whatnot ill be starting

Nemoid
08-07-2005, 03:56 PM
some hints :

since i don't use plugs to make this i'll say what i do.
to cut the model in the half if i have no central line and simmetry has lost i use bandsaw with uniform mode on. it will also keep your points selected wich could be useful sometimes. then i select one half , make set value x=o. polys will flatten and still be selected. then delete them. since now points will be at x=o when u mirror the half of your model they will merge properly.

to solve your prob, u coud try and see if you have 2 points poligons in your mesh. to do so, hit w and the editor to see what kinda polygons make your mesh. if u go on point selection mode u can see if polygons are 2 point ones. u can select them through that panel and kill them.

i would also select all points along centerline and make a set value x=0 and merge.

chaostest
08-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Thankz nemoid,i do have 16 2 point polys in the mesh,would that be the reason for the creases,im going to try to put up the pic,i got symetry working,and merged points,now theres creasesnot from the mirror but from modeling,they just show in a few parts,i tryed smoothing under the surface editor,but maybe i did it wrong becuz it really did not smooth out anything. any hint would be greatly appreciated.

CGTalk Moderation
08-07-2005, 05:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.