PDA

View Full Version : Rigging my dragon

MaddogZ
08-05-2005, 12:11 AM
I know how to rig decently but its not really my thing

so when I binded it did not out right the spikes on the neck and tail go crazy and the tail don't deform that well

and the wing when binded don't ben right

Is this all going to need painted or did I rig it wrong (see pic)

Octagon
08-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Is this all going to need painted or did I rig it wrong (see pic)

Unless you're skinning cylinders to 3 joint chains, yes, it has to be painted.

As far as I can see from you attached pic your joint layout should work. But make sure you have setup your axes (joint orient attributes) properly before you skin. If this doesn't make sense check the manuals and do some reading in these forums.

DangerAhead
08-05-2005, 11:28 PM
If you're not going to become a rigger/TD...

you may consider having it professionally rigged.

It could be worth it if you want the best deformations on your reel.

Besides if you're an animator and that's what you want to be, you should spend time being creative, not fighting with constraints and painted weights.

Arcon
08-06-2005, 01:53 AM
Octagon is definitely right about the joint orientation - it looks as though you've frozen all your joint's transforms... that's going to make life very difficult.

beyond that we can't really give any useful info without knowing more about the kinematics in the rig.

MaddogZ
08-06-2005, 01:35 PM
ya Im a modeler not a riger as you can see lol

here is a new pic of my rig control setup

the neck is controled by a spine and so is the tail (they work good)

the wing is controled by a Ik (I can't figure out how to get the pose i want with it tho )

the front leg is controled by Ik (but I am not sure how to get to look like its walking)

and the back leg I just can't figuer out how to control

any help be great

wes
02-22-2006, 07:36 PM
the front leg is controled by Ik (but I am not sure how to get to look like its walking)

and the back leg I just can't figuer out how to control

Study some lizards' anatomy for clues. They'll likely give you some insights into how your dragon might move. Find video of reptiles in motion (too bad Muybridge didn't have a gila monster or two on hand). Observe the world for some ideas!

Some clips here, seemingly.: (a quick google of 'reptiles .mov')
http://www.reptileallsorts.com/reptilemovies.htm
http://www.junglewalk.com/video/Lizard-movie.htm

Find pics of lizard skeletons. Do some comparative anatomy between human and other critters. You'll make associations that will help you think about the rig. Creatures of earth have many similarities.

For a classic example, quadrupeds walk, basically, on their toes. A cat or a dog is walking on what would be the ball of the foot/hand in us, with longer carpals.

Hope this inspired some thought. ;)

wes

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2006, 07:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.