PDA

View Full Version : 2-MINUTE FILM CLUB!THE FIGHT : Igor Sandman (live action)

igorsandman
08-04-2005, 05:20 PM
EDIT

Hey,
My film is finished. Here are the info:

Okhra:
We hear a fight, a gun shot, a man falling. Now the real fight can begin.

The crew: Directed by Igor Sandman with Simon Drahonnet and Yan.
Length: 1'.
Language: Silent.

Okhra (13Mb - 480*270)
Main mirror: http://rapidshare.de/files/3840646/Igor_Sandman_2min_Film_Club_The_Fight__480-270_.mov.html (Hosted on rapidshare - click the Free button at the bottom of the page)
Alternate mirror 1: http://users.skynet.be/igorsandman/Igor_Sandman_2min_Film_Club_The_Fight_(480-270).mov (Very low bandwidth limit, please try the main mirror first)
Alternate mirror 2: http://users.skynet.be/fa397764/Igor_Sandman_2min_Film_Club_The_Fight_(480-270).mov (Very low bandwidth limit, please try the main mirror first)

Time to complete: 5 days (1 for pre-prod, 1 for the shooting, 2 for the VFX and 1 for the sound)
Programs used: Premiere, After Effects and Photoshop

Thanks for viewing.
-IS-

Hello,
This is my WIP thread. I decided to make it short this time. And also to finish it early. I'll also enter this film to the 1 minute film and sound award (http://www.1minute.be (http://www.1minute.be/)). So my entry will be 1 minute long and it will be finished (hopefully) before the 12th of August.

Here is the idea. At the begining of the film, while the opening credits are displayed, we here a fight. It ends with a gunshot, then the film begins. We soon understand the real fight is after death. It's more surreal than The 3rd Guest, my previous entry. It will be FX intensive.

Here is the shots list:

1 Title screen. We hear a fight, then a gun shot. Someone falls on the ground.

2 In a small ruined brick shelter, a beeing with a duster coat and a metal mask stands, pointing a gun at the Dead on the ground. The camera pulls back as the man in duster coat leaves the place of the crime. (Shot backward then reversed)

3 wide shot of the place. The Dead comes out of the shelter and walks in a weird way toward the camera. Events seems to topple over. (shot slowly then accelerated)

4 Close up on a little metalic structure wraped with a chain. The camera follows the chain backward and stops on the Dead bound on the ground. He has a white veil over his face. He contorts his body from pain. (Shot backward then reversed)

5 wide shot. We see the Dead on the right and a pile of white veils on the flour on the left.

6 Close up on the pile of veils. It's changing its shape, then a Hand pops out. It looks quite like an ostrich, the veils forming the body and the hand forming the head. (Shot backward then reversed)

7 same as 5. The Hand moves towards the Dead. (Shot slowly then accelerated)

8 Close up on the hand shaking.

9 Close up on the Dead's face. The veil covering it starts to move, then flies away. (Shot backward then reversed)

10 Wider shot of the veil flying. (Shot backward then reversed)

11 Same as 9. We see his eyes are totaly white.

12 Close up on the Hand shaking

13 Close up on a box shaking then fying to the Hand. It stops near the veils then pops open. Inside, we can see two coins and a pestle and mortar with ochre inside. (Shot backward then reversed)

14 Close up on the Hand taking the pestle, mixing the color, then taking some paint on its finger. (shot slowly then accelerated)

15 Same as 9. The Hand traces a T on the forhead. The Dead suffers. (shot slowly then accelerated)

16 Wide shot on a T shaped wooden cross in the forest.

17 same as 9. The Dead suffers.

18 Close up on the Hand shaking. the coins fly up to the Hand. (Shot backward then reversed)

19 Same as 9. The Hand puts the coins over the eyes of the Dead.

20 Middle shot of the Hand and the Dead's face. The hand handle a band of white veil to cover the Dead's face. (Shot backward then reversed)

21 wide shot from bottom of veils flying.

22 Close up on the chains relaxing. We see the Dead's body wraped in white veils slowly crawling on the floor, moved by a unknown force. (Shot backward then reversed)

23 The Dead is in foetal position wraped in white veils laying in a hole.

I already made the props and costumes. We should be shooting this saturday in a creepy place in the middle of the woods. It's some sort of an abandonned citern or something like that. I used to play there when I was a kid and it scared me to death.

Wish me luck.
-IS-

igorsandman
08-05-2005, 09:06 AM
After a second thought, there might be too much shots for a 1 minute film. Shots 10, 11, 16, 17 and 21 will be shot, but might not be used in the final cut, depending on the timing of the film.
We'll see.
-IS-

archerx
08-05-2005, 12:40 PM
well if its 2 long you can make 2 versions, 1 for here and the other shorter one for them.

well good luck and happy filming!

ZaKKoS
08-06-2005, 02:35 AM
Good luck Igor!
It looks like a complicated work, I'm very curious.

stepington
08-06-2005, 04:44 AM
Good to see your thread start!
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/1684/whatfun8jr.jpg

ZaKKoS
08-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Stephen that's Steve!

BTW it was a Great movie (with BigFish and Dogville)

igorsandman
08-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Thanks for your comments guys.
The shooting is now finished. Everything went right. I also finished a rough editing.
To help you wait, here is a goof by our stunt artist (yes he is an artist :bounce: ) for you only:
http://users.skynet.be/fa397764/hard-to-run-with-a-mask.mov
It might reminds you of Intacto
Enjoy.
-IS-

archerx
08-06-2005, 07:17 PM
ouch that looks painful.

but that setting looks very nice and the character looks interesting too. can't wait to see the finished version!
a comment, i hope you use a better voice actor for this movie because the one from you last one really brought it down.

igorsandman
08-07-2005, 01:48 PM
a comment, i hope you use a better voice actor for this movie because the one from you last one really brought it down.
hmm. yeah. Actualy that was me :applause: I can't act and my accent is not very good, but I was on a rush and couldn't help it. Anyways, this time it's a silent film so no bother.
Bye.
-IS-

stepington
08-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Great stunt man! That looked like it really could have threatened his well being.

We should have a worst actor contest - I bet I'd win that one - I'm starring in mine as well this time around. One of the joys of fast motion/stop motion is you can use some of the worst actors in the world.:wise:

igorsandman
08-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Hey,
The VFX are done. Next step, sound editing and mixing.
Here are a couple of screenshots.

http://www.igorsandman.net/images/okhra1_big.jpg

http://www.igorsandman.net/images/okhra2_big.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it's gonna be called Okhra.
Bye.
-IS-

archerx
08-08-2005, 09:54 PM
oh damn that looks scary !

igorsandman
08-10-2005, 11:01 AM
The film is finished, but I can't seem to compres the sound. I always used QDesign Music 2 and it always worked fine, but now it doesn't work anymore :( I don't know why, it always compress to 32 kpbs or something like that while I'm asking it nicely to compres to 128! The result is a file size down to 176 Kb and a poooor quality :shrug: grrr.

I'll upoload the film as soon as I find a way to get Qdesign to work again.

Stay tuned.
-IS-

igorsandman
08-10-2005, 02:05 PM
OK it's finished for good. I updated my first post.
Bye.
-IS-

stepington
08-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Wow! That was quite a succuessful vignette! Great fun to watch!
I'd love to watch that with director's commentary:D.

Congratulations on a job well done!

igorsandman
08-12-2005, 08:15 AM
Thanks Stephen, i'm glad you liked it :bounce: I'll work on those commentary ;)

Bye.
-IS-

stepington
08-13-2005, 08:15 AM
So, it's been on my mind that none of us has posted the reasons why. So I'll start with you because I'd really like to know why you made this film and what inspired you. What drove you, I.S.M.?:arteest:

igorsandman
08-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Hey Stephen,
OK Here is my go at it:
I made this film to experiment with silence, because as you most certainly know, the basic of filmmaking is telling thing with actions, not with words. So I went for a silent film (and I'll probably do it again in the future). I also wanted to create something close to animation while still beeing live action (like you on your entry apparently:) ). I always had fun filming an action backward then reversing it in postprod. I did that several time in my previous films, but I always had a feeling of too few. I wanted to do it more. So half of Okhra is shot that way:bounce:
I basicaly liked the use of this kind of technique in Ring by Hideo Nakata. I also enjoyed the way the ghost was shown in Stir of Echoes by David Koepp. There the action was shot slowly then accelerated. I like that kind of effects. The other half of my entry is shot like that. That's for the technique.
For the art, my influences come from surreal art like Beksinski (hence the T shaped cross)
For those who don't know him: http://www.beksinski.pl/ (with a outstanding soundtrack by Preisner btw!). Also, I was influence greatly by a short film called La Contesse de Castiglione by David Lodge. If you get the opportunity to view it, go fo it. You'll see it as VERY influencial to me :rolleyes: The mystical aspects of Okhra are also reminiscent of Alexandro Jodorowsky's work and also mythology from all over the globe (and their cult of the dead in this particular case).
I'm also influenced by a lot of directors like :
- David Lynch (for the mood)
- Mamoru Oshii (for the esthetic and the "mise en scène" like the first scene for instance)
- Terry Gilliam and Jeunet & Caro (for the weird complex machinery with mysterious usefulness like the chains around a weird metal thingy in Okhra)
- Tarkovsky (Look at the close up shot of the main character in the middle of the film, that might remind you of Stalker)
- Kurosawa (for the set and production design like the 3rd shot of Okhra, the shot of the trees)
- Shinya Tsukamoto (for the roughness of the editing)
- and probably others I don't remember or didn't even realized :)

That should be it. If you have any question, feel free to ask.
Can't wait to read your commentary on your entry :)
Cheers
-IS-

stepington
08-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Thanks for posting your statements, Igor. The sound works very well and the colors are intriguing! Very surreal!

It's nice to know the thought process behind the creations posted here. I posted a little statement of my own on my thread.

Again - congratulations on a job well done! I look forward to more in the future!

archerx
08-15-2005, 09:42 PM
wow that was creepy and weird as hell, i liked it, i think you did very well this time!

but there's not much fighting in it :p

sergioKomic
08-17-2005, 10:46 AM
nice..... but...

your technique works, the aisthetics are there, it has a nice feel but...
i dont .....

meaning ....

Your short confused me....

keep up the good work.

igorsandman
08-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Hey,
What... Hmm... Confused you? Can I .... sort of... explain anything ... hmm.. to you, mate?:shrug:
Bye.
-IS-

sergioKomic
08-17-2005, 11:06 AM
Its propably the religious mixture of coins over the eyes an the cross while ghosts (death) fight/dance.... (and yes I would apreciate the director commentary!)

confusing (when intentional) is good non?

igorsandman
08-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Yes it's a good thing my film is confusing :) It's a surreal film and the main thing surreal art is the viewer makes his own interpretation. Of course, things are inherent of our world. In this case, it's the whole death ritual thing: veils, mummy, coins on the eyes, ochre, cross...
My next one will probably be less surreal as I'm quite satiated with this now.:wise:
Cheers.
-IS-

ZaKKoS
08-30-2005, 01:20 AM
hi Igor, please forgive me for the delay!

Your work is really great I have almost no remarks to do. Love the style and the tech stuff, great references too. I found the story a little weak but hey it's only 2 minutes long...i think it's enough! you've done a great job in post and if I can say it's better than the previous one :thumbsup: although there are few minor flaws (that maybe are wanted so I'm not sure).

Astounding work, good luck (but I don't think you need it :) )

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2005, 01:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.