PDA

View Full Version : Easier Enveloping??

plotz
10-30-2002, 03:20 PM
One thing I really like about LW is the little "<>" sliders to adjust values.

One thing that drives me batty is the fact that I get kicked out to the graph editor to edit those values.

When I'm adjusting an objects dissolve rate from 0 to 100 over the course of 2 frames it's a lot of work just to place the keys.

Is there a better workflow for keying values for things like textures and lights? The things, specifically, that bother me are:

- When you place an enevelope key in the graph editor with the add key tool it's an arbitrary frame and value. (If you want frame 45, 47%, you might get frame 48 and 52%)

- Making small value changes (or very large ones) means lots of zooming and panning in the graph editor.

- Modifying the keys by small "tweak" ammounts means a trip to the graph editor...even if you have auto key turned on. It would be much easier if I could just tweak the <> sliders.

What's finally sent me over the edge was keyframing object dissolve for a bunch of parts in a scene. It just seems like there has to be an easier way. (I was hoping the spreadsheet would do it, but it doesn't seem to.)

CG.p
10-30-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by plotz
- When you place an enevelope key in the graph editor with the add key tool it's an arbitrary frame and value. (If you want frame 45, 47%, you might get frame 48 and 52%)

- Making small value changes (or very large ones) means lots of zooming and panning in the graph editor.

What's finally sent me over the edge was keyframing object dissolve for a bunch of parts in a scene. It just seems like there has to be an easier way. (I was hoping the spreadsheet would do it, but it doesn't seem to.) [/B][/QUOTE]

Have you tried using the "create key"? Enter key while inside the GE

For small value changes why not tweak the numbers instead of sliding the curve? If they are as small as you say they should change curves too much.

How many is a bunch? Are they random dissolves or all leaving at once. I had a project where I had a lot of elements dissolving and the graph editor seemed fine. Use favorites for grouping your channels.

plotz
10-31-2002, 01:56 AM
Heh. Well that was easy wasn't it:)

Thanks for the tip...it's just what I was looking for.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.