PDA

View Full Version : houdini 8 beta released

fasteez
08-04-2005, 05:28 PM
as everybody talkin bout release and i didnt saw any news about houdini. i went to their website and there a new beta release of houdini.

check their website www.sidefx.com ( they made a relooking and also change the contents )

peace.

lightblitter22
08-04-2005, 06:45 PM
I've already downloaded it. Looks pretty interesting so far.

kemijo
08-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Yep, already got it. I thought it was already posted, but I could be wrong...that might have been about their new website alone.

The PR is getting better though, the new website is nice, and they have testimonials for big films using it extensively. Plus the new Gnomon DVD "Houdini 101" might bring it some much needed attention. Wish the free version worked with the free RenderMan renderers though...

Here's a commercial by Digital Domain using the new DOPs dynamics in Houdini 8..
http://www.boardsmag.com/screeningroom/commercials/1642/

amitnike
08-04-2005, 07:45 PM
the software is getting credit finally..credit which was long due i guess.

darktding
08-04-2005, 07:50 PM
the software is getting credit finally..credit which was long due i guess.
Things are looking up for houdini, there will be a stage where Alias,Max and Softimage will be simply adding small stuff to their softwares as opposed to houdini which will have something great or the other in the next release...

sacslacker
08-05-2005, 03:56 AM
Ya know, I'd love to use Houdini but at $17k for the full package and the way they've set up the packages, I'm not sure it'll ever happen.

I'd honestly love to have it as a weapon in my arsenal that's for sure.

kemijo
08-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Ya know, I'd love to use Houdini but at $17k for the full package and the way they've set up the packages, I'm not sure it'll ever happen.

I'd honestly love to have it as a weapon in my arsenal that's for sure.

Houdini is certainly expensive. But why is that a factor in whether you learn it or not? Unless you're a freelancer working on your own from home (in which case you'd either be considering Houdini Escape, which is only 4 grand or so, or you'd be considering other software), leave that to the studio you work for. In the meantime, download the free version, its completely fully featured. Of all the people I have met, a very small percentage own the software that they use. Back in the day it was hard to get access...now they're all free.

percydaman
08-06-2005, 02:57 PM
i got frustrated with the beta demo. the tutorials were inaccurate as far as I could make out. Buttons they said to push couldn't be found etc etc. could certainly been my fault though...

Lyr
08-06-2005, 06:12 PM
yeah some of the buttons can be hard to find. But if you look in the picture accomanying that step of the tutorial, they usually show the buttons pressed that need to be pressed. Could be better written for sure though

kemijo
08-06-2005, 06:23 PM
i got frustrated with the beta demo. the tutorials were inaccurate as far as I could make out. Buttons they said to push couldn't be found etc etc. could certainly been my fault though...

Could be that the tutorial you were reading was written for an earlier version? Some tuts hang around cuz they are quite useful but they can be confusing for a beginner. Also there are many buttons that are hidden in stowbars that are closed by default. Stick with it, learning Houdini was never easy, especially if it's not your first app. One of the best ways to learn is to open up a completed .hip file and step through each node, so you can see exactly what the creator did in the order they did it. This gets easier when you get familiar with how the app works as well. Also, head on over to the forums at www.odforce.net and the Houdini forums at www.sidefx.com and ask for clarification. They're always happy to help new recruits.

Lyr
08-06-2005, 06:29 PM
I'll clarify about the muscle system here instead of the xsi thread. The muscle system basically draws metaballs between the origin and insertion points and then makes a muscle body which you can edit with curves to get the shape you need. Since they are also meta balls you can blend several muscles together to make a larger muscle. Getting the muscles to interact with the characters skin is done with the inflate tool. You can find a demo scene with the beta at: demo/lesson_data/characters/rigging/inflate/inflate_start.hip you can find the tutorial in that file in the getting started with houdini tutorials. This works with apprentice.

Cronholio
08-06-2005, 07:38 PM
I'll clarify about the muscle system here instead of the xsi thread. The muscle system basically draws metaballs between the origin and insertion points and then makes a muscle body which you can edit with curves to get the shape you need. Since they are also meta balls you can blend several muscles together to make a larger muscle. Getting the muscles to interact with the characters skin is done with the inflate tool. You can find a demo scene with the beta at: demo/lesson_data/characters/rigging/inflate/inflate_start.hip you can find the tutorial in that file in the getting started with houdini tutorials. This works with apprentice.

Muscles need not be metaballs, you can use whatever geometry you like as an inflation tool.

ambient-whisper
08-06-2005, 07:58 PM
maybe lyr is going by what he saw over at siggy? and they might have been using metaballs?

but your right, the inflate tool isnt too picky about what you use underneath.

Lyr
08-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Yup they were using metaballs at siggraph. I am even more impressed now knowing any geometry is usuable.

ambient-whisper
08-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Yup they were using metaballs at siggraph. I am even more impressed now knowing any geometry is usuable.

yeah. thats the cool thing about houdini, is that it doesnt discriminate much between what types of geometries you use for what functions. except ofcourse specific tools, like the polytools, obviousely not working on nurbs.

the thing is about inflate working on geometry, while cool, it is rather on the slow side.

Cronholio
08-06-2005, 09:10 PM
What you do is build a switch into your rig HDA, animate with inflates off, switch them on when you bake geometry or render. I prefer using geometry rather than metaballs because you can do more with arbitrary geometry.

dantea
08-08-2005, 07:08 AM
This has been a long time now but I think inflate might be faster with metaballs.

sacslacker
08-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Houdini is certainly expensive. But why is that a factor in whether you learn it or not? Unless you're a freelancer working on your own from home (in which case you'd either be considering Houdini Escape, which is only 4 grand or so, or you'd be considering other software), leave that to the studio you work for. In the meantime, download the free version, its completely fully featured. Of all the people I have met, a very small percentage own the software that they use. Back in the day it was hard to get access...now they're all free.

Oh man, I've been to the site several times the past year looking for a learning addition type release but never have seen it. I'll go take a look again. I already own Maya Unlimited so I can't justify to my wife and boss to pony up for another huge package but I've always had my eye on Houdini. Particularly for particles.

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Lyr
08-08-2005, 06:39 PM
thier learning edition is called the apprentice program. Make sure to check out houdini's character animation capabilities too, rigging and weighting a character is much easier in houdini than it is in maya.

SkyZero
08-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Oh man, I've been to the site several times the past year looking for a learning addition type release but never have seen it. I'll go take a look again. I already own Maya Unlimited so I can't justify to my wife and boss to pony up for another huge package but I've always had my eye on Houdini. Particularly for particles.

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

This may help point you in the right direction:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=183

:thumbsup:

Houdini is something I'd like to learn to, but on the side possibly as I'm already have my hands full with learning a program now.

fasteez
09-14-2005, 10:54 AM
yeah houdini seems to be a great piece of soft right from the foundations , it lacks the eye candy interface and manipulation that make noob easy to jump in ( like me lol ) but we know that when youve get to a point where you know a little how the soft behave its really a pleasure ( this is what i believe , coz actually i still cry to make a small particle system -_-; héhé )

kemijo
09-14-2005, 11:30 AM
it lacks the eye candy interface and manipulation that make noob easy to jump in ( like me lol)

Not sure how much I agree with that. I think Maya and Max have particularily ugly interfaces. Even Lightwave's age-old barely changed interface is easier on the eyes than both of these, and has been for years. XSI has arguably the prettiest interface, but really this matters very little IMO. XSI only recently introduced scalable icons and windows that can leave the main app window for instance...the pretty bitmapped look is a nice novelty that initially hindered it's customization (unusable at certain resolutions, etc). Most of a the great workflow customization features in XSI have been in Houdini for a long time. Houdini's interface is FAR more customizable than any of the apps I just mentioned. It works like XSI's in a way...you can start with a blank window, and divide it up any way you want, putting whatever type of window you want into each new panel. This is doable in most apps but most people pick one and stick with it because it's a pain to change them on the fly, while working, let alone switch to different configs when modeling, animating, etc. This is easy and encouraged in Houdini.

You are correct though that once you know how to move around it's really a pleasure. I'm mainly a Maya user but I am working with Houdini on a regular basis at work again, hadn't been for awhile...it really did feel good to get back into it which was a surprise. It's been awhile since I'd had fun just "working," regardless of what I'm doing.

talos72
09-14-2005, 05:17 PM
No one has mentioned the new DOPs system! This thing is pretty impressive: a node-based, procedural dynamics system...where else can you find that? I have been messing around with some of example files (plenty of them and great way to learn Houdini), and the possibilities are fantastic. IMO, DOPs alone can put Houdini on the map big time. Though I can see how some newbie users may be intimidated by the GUI and all, it is worth learning the software as there is growing demand for its users in the big FX houses.

fasteez
09-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Not sure how much I agree with that. I think Maya and Max have particularily ugly interfaces.

houdini's ui uses too tiny elements in my opinion, but actually i think everything is keyboard-binded so we dont really care, i do prefer keyboard shortcuts its so fast and easy when memorized.

What i meant is that the first thing you see in a software is the ui and houdini is not "attractive". but with time you know that ui isnt really essential and it doesnt make a software great.

anybody here ve seen the gnomon video about houdini ?

jiversen
09-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Just FYI, if the UI elements are too small or too large for you, the entire UI is scalable using an environment variable:

setenv HOUDINI_UISCALE 120

..will make the UI 120% of the natural scale.

Personally, I make mine smaller:

setenv HOUDINI_UISCALE 75

arctor
09-15-2005, 06:21 PM
you really should just get rid of that 14" monitor jason...

fasteez
09-16-2005, 09:37 AM
lol amazing, thanks for the command! i guessed that houdini's ui was full opengl, was i wrong ?

edit : where should i initialize the HOUDINI_UISCALE variable? inside textport ( already tried but it didnt update the components size ) or as a windows environnment variable ?

dantea
09-16-2005, 01:22 PM
Windows environment variable.

jiversen
09-17-2005, 06:45 AM
lol amazing, thanks for the command! i guessed that houdini's ui was full opengl, was i wrong ?

You're totally right - the entire application GUI is full OpenGL - which is part of the reason why its a little more brutal on consumer-level graphics cards. This exact thing also makes it possible for Side Effects to port Houdini to almost any platform very easily (a matter of days for many of the flavours of Linux/Solaris/etc).

The variable has to be set before startup - so as a Window environment variable from the Windows Start>Control Panel>System or in the tcsh (cygwin/gnu) shell before you start up Houdini.

Enjoy,
Jason

PS. Somehow dual 21" monitors doesn't give me enough screen real estate; so hence scaling down the widgets ;) I like to get a complete workout by having to move my entire head around the screen.

fasteez
09-17-2005, 09:48 AM
yeah ive noticed some ui refreshing issues with release 5 a long time ago , nvidia cards are able to handle it easily now i guess.
whatever thanks for the answers, good idea to build the interface upon a standard like ogl. ( i wonder why i asked about the HOUDINI_UISCALE variable instead of tryin.. im quite dumb sometimes )

CGTalk Moderation
09-17-2005, 09:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.