PDA

View Full Version : sci fi spec ops

MALicivs
08-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Just a soldier I'm working on right now. just trying to increase my abilities, try some new techniques, and if possible, increase my portfolio a bit :D

the mesh is currently at 4476 tris. I don't think I'll add much more geometry.
anyway, any crits or comments are deeply apreciated.

http://marco.b-rage.com/modelos/ptf_soldier/post_wip.png

cheers

MALicivs

Leonardo Vega
08-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Very nice! I love low-poly models! What program did you use to make him? Can't wait to see him textured!

- Leo

SHEPEIRO
08-04-2005, 04:14 PM
really low poly for the detail you have..... but.....i think your able to do this because you have alot of intersecting volumes! this aint good for a game engine, because
A you can have problems when you animatye the bones i.e parts will slide across each other unless you get the values for each vertex perfectly weighted.
B intersecting meshes are inefficient when drawn by game engine as z buffer has too decide which is on top, this can leed to flickering along the edges.

but the models cool. i suggest cutting and joining everything together!
massive task but a single mesh is the optimal model for games character. plus it will be alot easier to get a good uvw cords for youtexture

MALicivs
08-05-2005, 06:15 PM
vegabros thanks, I used 3D Max.

SHEPEIRO you're absolutely right, even though with current standard zbuffer there are almost no flickering it's always a good policy not to make paralel surfaces, so close to each other.
I think I'll cut the bigger parts, and weld it all together. Thanks for the advice :)

MALicivs

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2005, 06:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.