PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys edit sound for your animations ?

nikopol_gfx
08-04-2005, 11:22 AM
I wonder how different people handle this task for their short animations or short movies, only by themselves, without the help of a dedicated audio studio. (Audio software, lip-sync, sound effects, etcete music, etcetera). I'm interesting in this for a demo reel, by example.
Personally, I think the sound is much harder to create and edit than pixel images. Do you add the sound fx in a compositing package like AE, or in a sound edit program with video support ?

(And sorry for my bad english :-)

Nu Visual Science
08-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Let me just start by saying i create audio software and content for a living.

It all depends on what software you have available
Premier Vegas anything like this will let you combine the two.
Vegas has the most advanced audio section of ANY compositing editing package available, Then again it did start life as a hard disk recording package for audio ;) .
However most audio software that supports video does it for composing tacks and wont normally let you save it all combined.

If you are talking about layering sound effects with your soundtrack or creating the soundtrack itself, Then i can recommend EXT (www.xt-hq.com (http://www.xt-hq.com/)) more highly than most sequencers and it will also run stand alone or load into any sequencer that supports VSTs, It costs around $40 or so and has a built in sampler and an FM synth on the way, The dev is one of the most respected coders in audio software (No easy task) and the community answers any questions you have within minutes, Updates to the software are on a weekly basis too.

If you have any problems or more questions you are more than welcome to PM or email me and i will help out however i can :)

PS i'm currently creating a sound FX synth for the VST standard to be released to LW users ;) , But keep it hush hush lol
To run that you will need a vst host,The cheapest pro VST host available (Infact the cheapest pro or non pro) i have spoke of above ;)

Nu Visual Science
08-04-2005, 11:35 AM
PS your english is awesome ;)
You have no worries there.

Also forgot to mention that you can actually sinc winamp movies to any audio package that supports the VST standard :)
It is via a plugin by Smartelectronix.

nikopol_gfx
08-04-2005, 11:40 AM
My ex-english teacher probably wouldn't agree with that ;-)
Thanks man !

Nu Visual Science
08-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Well i dont know how well you speak it ?
But you type it as well as me and i'm bleedin English :thumbsup:

It's actually nice to be able to answer a question at CGT this is the first time i could answer and know i was 100% right ;) (Don't know much about CG yet)

gawain
08-04-2005, 05:12 PM
If you are on a mac and need also an editing platform you will find very nice and useful the final cut real time sound editing.

Otherwise, Vegas is very good
G.

tufif
08-04-2005, 08:20 PM
I export the video and bring it into a dedicated audio program. I'll usually have the dialog track already before animating so I'll import that. I'll create the sound effects track and then export it as a single audio file (without the dialog). Then I'll open a new project and import the video, the dialog track, and the sound effects track and create the music on top of all of it, and export a single audio file of just the music. Then I go back to my compositing software and bring in the audio files to balence them all out.

CGTalk Moderation
08-04-2005, 08:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.