08-04-2005, 07:51 AM
Tools: 3dsmax, Zbrush
Project: Personal
Platform: Xbox 360, Playstation3
Engine: Proprietary

http://users.rcn.com/anoon/male_A_22i.jpg

Saramago
08-04-2005, 08:05 AM
Impresive model. My only crit is of the hands. they are all wrong - I assume you haven't finished them yet?

[Rant]
However it does sadden me to see this high poly stuff here. (I know - next gen. blah blah) The best thing about this forum is seeing what inceredible things talented people can do with very little. It would be ashame if this forum started to become indistinguishable from the high poly forums.

kOmoo
08-04-2005, 08:55 AM
This fit more in the wip 3d sections, to many polys

CG-Gordon
08-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Nice work so far anoon the legs and torso are looking well sculpted, get going on the head and the hands now!

I disagree Saramago, its very interesting seeing members take a high poly model and transfer that to a lowpoly mesh. I think this kind of work is always going to be distinquishable from high poly stuff. Next gen is here theres no getting away from that, i think there is plenty space in this forum for people to show their high poly creations along side lower meshes. This is afterall a game art forum.

Saramago
08-04-2005, 12:28 PM
CG Gordon - Fair dos - ps Rocket girl is great.

iduna79
08-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Looks good.

You should work on the hands. The head looks too smal.

anoon
08-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far. :thumbsup:

The head and lower arms haven't been touched at all. (It's all very much a WIP.) In general, there's still a ton of work to be done all over. The shins are probably the part I'm happiest with ATM, but they need considerable work too.

While I agree that there is a certain charm to working on last generation low poly assets and whatnot, the fact is that the level of fidelity we were used to working at isn't going to cut it in the upcoming generation of hardware. Technology is marching forward. Content will scale to match it. The 1500k model with a couple of 256 diffuse textures with lighting painted in is not going to be competetive from an aesthetic standpoint. Better get used to it if you want to eat!

...that all said, perhaps I'll do a last gen version too, for old times sake! :)

SHEPEIRO
08-04-2005, 04:32 PM
i agree with cg gordon,
most people here are probably looking to enter the industry, and the industry is getting high def. the thing it is important to remember is that developers artist with skills that will be of use in the future. i.e high def models for low def normal mapped ones is a great skill to have.

thighs are a bit too muscely, reduce

supernekosan
08-04-2005, 04:39 PM
just one question this is your i rez for a normal map...or your in game model?? how many poly it take..if its done in z brush..it most be about 1.000,000 poly....its a litle to much dont you tink..even for nex gen..its fit mor for cinema...ho well good job..realy like the legs..but to much poly here even for nex gen consol!!

Mastahful
08-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Ill have to say I disagree supernekosan, 1,000,000 polys for a next gen normal map is not too much at all, if I remember correctly some of the next gen Unreal models are well into their millions.

As for the model, great work, love the muscular definition, cant wait too see more.

bcloward
08-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Very nice work, Alan! Now I know what you've been trying to work on in the evening when I've been bugging you about MaxScript stuff. :0) Looks like you were up later than me based on the time stamp of the post. I only worked until 2:30am. :shrug:

This anatomy is very well done - especially in the neck area and under the arm. This is very inspiring work. There is something that I'm noticing about Zbrush models in general that's showing up on this one. The grooves (in between the abs and in other spots) look a little bit "chunky." It's as if they were created on a lower poly version that didn't have the topology going the right way to support the groove and then the result was given another level of subdivision. I'm not sure if I'm describing it very well - but I've noticed a similar look to the contour lines cut into a lot of Zbrush models. Since I haven't used it myself, I can't give any Zbrush advice. Maybe it just needs some smoothing out and touching up.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to watching for updates in here.

anoon
08-10-2005, 07:59 PM
A little more progress... worked on the feet quite a bit, legs a little more, and the arms. Got a basic start on the hands. Fingers have not been touched, nor has the head.

I'm not really happy with most of the anatomy. I'll go back and fix a bunch of that later I guess. (Or I might cover it up with a costume.)

Ben: true, there is some degree of 'chunkiness' visible, but I don't think that will be a problem. The thing to keep in mind is that this model is being drawn in a largely faceted state. The resolution you see here is roughly 100k. By the time I res up a few more Subdivisions, I'll be kicking 8million polys or so. By the time I'm hitting those poly counts, smoothing is applied, normal maps are generated and finally mapped back onto the 10K version, I don't expect the chunkiness will be apparent.

Target budgets, (subject to change)
Polys: 10k-15k for body. 10k15k for costume.
Maps: 1024x512 (Diffuse, Specular*, Normal, Subsurface*. Diffuse2?*)
(*resolution will probably be lower. Will also stuff these into other channels where possible.)

http://users.rcn.com/anoon/male_A_22k.jpg

SHEPEIRO
08-11-2005, 01:43 PM
looking very detailed, but those hands still need alot of work they look very odd.

knukles are way too deep

remember fingerjoints stick out side ways not up/down

im sure you already know this as the anatomy in the rest of model is looking accurate.

ps make achillies heel thinner and heel is a little wierd aswell, possibly too big

anoon
08-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback Shephero. Everyone seems to point out how horrid the hands are at this stage! :)

I put an hour of work in on them last night. Better than they were, but more to do.

http://users.rcn.com/anoon/male_A_22k_hands.jpg

Mastahful
08-11-2005, 03:38 PM
haha i love the fact how nobody reads posts!! every time uv posted renders u say uv done no work on the hands and yet everyone crits them!!....anyway looking good!

PEN
08-11-2005, 06:08 PM
This is looking really nice Alan. Good job on the form. I didn't know that you modeled. I guess like me you get stuck doing all the technical stuff and never get a chance to work on other aspects.

supernekosan
08-12-2005, 02:46 AM
yea realy good..but are you doing the hi rez for a normal map..or this is your low poly model?? event for next gen its looking like to many poly....next gen isn't so powerful quit dreaming..ho and if there are a low poly model..can we see it?

gardogg
09-11-2005, 01:35 AM
yea realy good..but are you doing the hi rez for a normal map..or this is your low poly model?? event for next gen its looking like to many poly....next gen isn't so powerful quit dreaming..ho and if there are a low poly model..can we see it?

He already explained a couple of posts back that this is his high poly model which may get as high as 8 million polys. His low res version will only be about 14 or 15 thousand polys.

Alan, looking forward to seeing more on this one! Great progress so far. I understand if you are too busy though.

CGTalk Moderation
09-11-2005, 01:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.