PDA

View Full Version : Surpasses

duke
08-04-2005, 02:11 AM
We finally got a license of Surpasses here and I had alot of fun working out bits and pieces of it yesterday. It must have been licensed under the wrong dongle number because it doesn't like the license file but we'll get that sorted out later..

What I'd really like to see is a function for completely overriding a surface of an object. This could be achieved (although it could be done a number of other ways, I'm just thinking in terms of Lightwave's limitations here) by using an invisible single point poly to hold the surface data, and as a pass you tell it what surface to use to override everything, which would be tweakable in the surface editor, and a copy of all the objects in the pass with a suffix would be saved and used for that pass.

This would be useful for doing an AO only pass, or one where you just want white diffuse for a special lighting pass or something.

Maybe a feature similar to this is hidden somewhere that I haven't found? ..I didn't find anything in the manual about surfaces definable in passes.

duke
08-05-2005, 04:14 AM
I sent that off as a feature request, but I've encountered a little hurdle which I'm not sure about.

Say I have "ground" and "tree". Tree is on the ground. If I want both in a different pass, fine, but I'm not going to get any shadows from the Tree on the ground in the ground pass and vice versa. At first I thought I could make a static pass which includes all objects and just turn "unseen by camera" on for tree in ground pass so that the scene itself would be affected by the tree by wouldn't actually render it in that pass, but you cant change object options in a static pass. Anyone got any ideas?

duke
08-05-2005, 04:28 AM
double post

duke
08-09-2005, 01:29 AM
I'd also like to see the ability to set object alpha override options :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2005, 01:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.