PDA

View Full Version : Muscular Sytem

el-vio
08-03-2005, 11:56 PM
Hi there, i'm now trying to make a muscular system and i have some doubt about techniques i'm using, need some suggestions and idea.

that's where i am now :

http://armando.pouya.free.fr/cgtalkwip/tortue/plusdemuscles.JPG

I think a lot about techniques to use for it and i begin my setup with this choice :

- Skinning the mesh up , Modeling Muscles, Skin it on joints ( or bones whatever ^^ ), and so adding influence of thoses muscles on the mesh.
( i don't think about putting some dynamics cloth etc, it will take i think too much ressources. )

then I test it for pectoral, for the arm rotation you can see it on my wip ( link down ). first view, that's working fast and well, but i get some critics ( not there :> ) saying that's not necessary to adding influence on skin, that's the same and faster to simply doing shapes for the base mesh and set driven key on.
But i still believe that different setup change the workflow , the quality and the result of a simple setup with shapes ... but, badly ? goodest ?

what do you think about it please ? Am I on a wrong way ?
have you other techniques for making a muscular system to share ( for all ) ?
and so, do you know what techniques are they using in studios for High setup ( like gollum ^^ ) ?

cschandramouli
08-04-2005, 06:16 AM
man, Impressive!

I use only bones to animate. That's my level of expertise in animation. I wanna go further... 3DSM is such a great software, but not much guides... Though I prefer learning the harder way... Can you gimme some idea of how to learn rigging using muscles???

Are they simple mesh with bones to rig them, which in turn move the main character mesh? Please direct me...

Mouli

el-vio
08-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Can you gimme some idea of how to learn rigging using muscles???

i'm here for this :D I need idea, suggestions, and other techniques to compare.
that's my first real character setuping.

Are they simple mesh with bones to rig them, which in turn move the main character mesh?

yes simply.

cschandramouli
08-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Wow! Sounds simple and interesting... I'll give a hand at it and let you know... Besides one of my ongoing projects need it... You helped me... thnx... Or else I'd have been sweating with those simple bone! Phew! Thnx man...

Mouli

el-vio
08-04-2005, 07:40 PM
lol np, but i'm asking there if someone know better system, or techniques... I am trying some setup with rigid body to simulate fat reaction. but now i'm always on doubt , am I on a wrong way ??

eek
08-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Im looking into two ideas, both based on surfacing. 1 is a curved (sheet) surface that gets it curve from bezier handles- bulge is handled via a script on thes handles. You arrange several of these surfaces under the skin and parent them to joints. The bulge is seperate and only relys on its surface.

The second idea is procedural, it still relys on a surface, but the bulge and stretch is computed through frames, basically its gets a default distance of 4 points parented to bones etc then it goes through the frames and looks at there distance bulges based on there distance. This is nice but you can really see the effect of animating, so some kind of mixture is needed.

Im still looking into muscle stuff and its pretty hard, and yes really im looking into fat and creases rather than muscles and bulges.

Rigid body deformation relys on processing so if you have a lot of them in a character is gunna slow down alot. Gollum for instance had 700 muscles in his body.

eek

eek

AA_Tyrael
08-09-2005, 10:57 AM
if ur using maya i d suggest you add some attributes (i.e Bicepe flex) as a driver and "driven key" them

el-vio
08-10-2005, 08:44 AM
hi
here where i am.

http://armando.pouya.free.fr/cgtalkwip/tortue/rotationbras1.JPG
(more screen on my wip)

AA_Tyrael :

I driven key rotation of joints with muscles cause of some problem with the basical skinning, and so flexing of biceps will in fact be attributes, that's better you are right cause of more control of animation.

Eek :

your ideas like to be good, i don't understand all cause of my bad english but i'll read it again until i understand all, and yes, oh my god dynamics of fat i test take with all muscle influence together sloow down my comp so much it's a desaster ^^ better i don't clothed my mesh hehe..

thanks for suggestions and ideas, other ways ? ( are good to know )

el-vio
08-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Sorry, but I have a problem ! How Do i can mirror completly my setup ?
without forgetting, expressions, driven keys, constraints , dynamics , shapes and its blends if there is.

please direct me, I'm working on maya, do I need a mel ? how to do ?...

Edit : i make a thread for this, don't answear the question there pls, :) but there :

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=268962

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2005, 11:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.