PDA

View Full Version : Skeleton to Skeleton Key Matching/Wrapper?

johngloid
08-03-2005, 08:47 PM
This might be a really odd request or idea, but does anyone know if there's a mel script that can take rotational data from one skeleton and 'wrap' it to another skeleton on a frame-by-frame basis?

What's happened is I have two skeletons with the same hierarchy, but different joint orientations. I need to copy keys from one to the other, but that doesn't work so well if the joints are oriented differently.

This might possibly work by setting each skeleton in the matching bind poses, then just having one feed rotations (from the faulty oriented skeleton) to the good skeleton.

I'm open to any ideas, or if this has been done before I'm all ears http://cgchar.toonstruck.com/forum/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Thanks
-john

Craiger
08-04-2005, 12:31 AM
You could orient constrain (with offset) each joint individually, and use a parent constraint on any joint that is actually translating like the root. That would ensure the exact same animation. If you needed to have it as keyframe data, you could bake out the constraint, Unfortunately,,, you'd have a key on every frame.

the_podman
08-04-2005, 01:23 AM
I'm using Maya 6's retargeting feature to get animation from one skeleton to another. The only problem Im having right now is that my character is a bipedal/quadrapred hybrid and the back set of legs are not retargeting correctly because I have to use "custom" joint labels(not one's from the pull down, but "other") and those don't retarget for some reason. So, I will use an orient constraint for the back legs. I want to "bake" the constraint animation onto the backlegs(keyticks on every frame is ok) and I want to know how to do this. Craiger?

Thanks
-pod

CGTalk Moderation
08-04-2005, 01:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.