PDA

View Full Version : Tiling textures in Max

Gaboon
08-03-2005, 08:33 PM
OK. I modeled a castle for a game environment portfolio piece. I was wondering about tiling the texture. I know how to tile in photoshop, but Im wondering how you would tile say a brick texture on a model within 3ds Max and then have a separate texture for the vines, cracks, ect. My understanding is that in games, they would have a reletively small file (256) to tile a brick texture and then have separate textures for different features. Anybody know about this? Any comments or speculation would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Saramago
08-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Do you know how to use a multi-sub object material and set material ID's. This is the basis of how to get started. With giving a model multiple txtures. You set all the stonework to say mat ID 1 and the vine txt to 2 etc . . .

is that what you mean?

AdamAtomic
08-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Usually this is done by assigning vertices UV values above 1.0 - e.g. if you want your bricks to tile 4 times along the width, and 2 times high, then you'd assign your furthest up and right vertex UV values of (4.0, 2.0). You can usually do this in 3D modelers by simply scaling your faces beyond the (1.0, 1.0) square in the UV editor. Things like vines or other decals are usually applied as alpha maps on separate polys.

kaylon
08-04-2005, 12:26 AM
Or ... you could simply type in the desired tile factor in the area I have directed your attention to ...

You could also scale the gizmo either by hand using the scale tool..or by typing in a scale (above the area highlighted here) ...

K.

http://s1.simpload.com/080342f15234f2c2f.jpg

PhilOsirus
08-04-2005, 01:58 AM
I'm quite here means "how do you add specific details to tiled textures without tiling the specific details, such as cracks in walls".

Usually what can be done is simply add the craked texture on an alpha plane and bring it very close to the wall. It will look as if it was part of the wall itself. I did this for a scene in Max at school where I wanted a manhole on the ground and some dirt and it worked extremely well. You usually have to be careful about z-fighting, so don't make it intersect with the geometry, just keep it distanced a bit but no enough to make it noticeable, and disable "cast shadows" on the plane.

BTW, anyone who is familliar with the process for next-gen games please let us know, I wonder if this process will become problematic in scenes using high quantities of normal mapping (the cracks bring on a separate object could make the light behave strangely?) or maybe there are new solutions?

Gaboon
08-04-2005, 03:31 AM
You guys gave me many things to explore on this. Thank you soooo much!

EricChadwick
08-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Z-fighting can be fixed by telling the engine not to use Zbuffer for the decal-polygon in question. Many engines support this.

Another common method I've seen is to force the draw order of the surfaces like "always draw surface X (the decal) after surface Y (the tiled texture)." Problem there is you need to avoid doing that with concave surfaces, since you can get sorting errors (i.e. far wall rendering on top of near wall even though it's supposed to be behind).

Yet another method is to not use a separate surface, but to combine two bitmaps in the same surface. The bricks would use the tiling UV set, while the vines bitmap would use another UV set and the vines would use a special blending operation like Multiply, so white areas of the texture don't show up at all but dark areas do.
Reality Engine has a tutorial demonstrating this:
http://reality.artificialstudios.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/CreatingDecals
Unreal too:
http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/BreakAwayExample#Setting_up_Trees_with_Shadows

CGTalk Moderation
08-04-2005, 07:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.