PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8.5 feature

gristle
08-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Hi.

I have not seen any speculation on the following listed under the 8.5 news....

New Parts-to-Surfaces tool allows for easier integration of 3D objects created in other applications.

Wonder if this means Lightwave wil have an IGES or other import function?

LightwaveGuy
08-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Native IGES support would be great...

ColinCohen
08-04-2005, 01:33 AM
I believe the point of this feature is to allow you to properly import .objs from formZ.

Werner
08-04-2005, 06:58 AM
I think I'm still asleep...where can I get more info on the 8.5 update. I would like to see everything that will be availible in this release.

thanks

gristle
08-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Only formZ? Where did you hear that? Do they mention other formats at all?

I believe the point of this feature is to allow you to properly import .objs from formZ.

The 8.5 list is here...

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-01-05b.html

It contains the 64 bit release as well.

threedeworks
08-04-2005, 11:41 AM

formz has a very good LWO export, don't see any point here...

nikopol_gfx
08-04-2005, 11:48 AM
I'd like to see native suport in LW for importing the same formats that are exported(3ds, obj etc.). No need for extra plugins or converting software.

As for IGES, I don't think so. IGES is a format especially oriented in NURBS surfaces, and it's very complicated. For example, a considerable portion of Maya deals with IGES I/O.

Werner
08-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Only formZ? Where did you hear that? Do they mention other formats at all?

The 8.5 list is here...

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-01-05b.html

It contains the 64 bit release as well.

cool, Thanks! Anyone know when this will be ready for download. I just bought an AMD dual core 4200+ 64bit system and would like to try this out. :)

gristle
08-04-2005, 12:24 PM
As for IGES, I don't think so. IGES is a format especially oriented in NURBS surfaces, and it's very complicated. For example, a considerable portion of Maya deals with IGES I/O.

Yes it is complicated but so is what I do at the moment to get cad data into Lightwave to render. Out of cad program(normally ProE) into Rhino, surfaces split into colours, texture changes, and then meshed and exported to Lightwave. I remember seeing someone using Studio Viz and importing IGES. They could then specify the mesh level in Viz.

colkai
08-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Anyone else heard that you can't use a parallel dongle with LW8.5 and 9?
OneVideo in the UK are stating you must upgrade the dongle at the same time, with all the hassle of plugin re-registration.
Though strangely, they reckon if you didn't upgrade to LW8 before and just move from 7.5 to 8.3 with a free LW9 upgrade and free Vue5 - you also get a free dongle swap.

I hope someone, somewhere has their wires crossed.

Nu Visual Science
08-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Dongle swap is free anyway ?
I upgraded to 8.3 from 5.6 three weeks ago and the dongle swap was free (That reminds me i better send them paralell dongles back :) )

Also i think the dongle upgrade is only needed for the 64 bit system isn't it ?

colkai
08-04-2005, 01:16 PM
it is free, but only if you're coming from a version prior to LW8

Nu Visual Science
08-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

jorust
08-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Off topic, but I hope NewTek will drop the dongle for v.NINE... :argh:

ColinCohen
08-04-2005, 03:02 PM
A little while ago, someone wrote me asking to write a surfaces-to-parts plugin, because there was a problem importing .objs from formZ. Before I could respond, he wrote back that Newtek had agreed to write it themselves.

Of course, that doesn't mean that this is its only use; just the impeteus behind it.

gristle
08-04-2005, 03:22 PM
A little while ago, someone wrote me asking to write a surfaces-to-parts plugin, because there was a problem importing .objs from formZ. Before I could respond, he wrote back that Newtek had agreed to write it themselves.

Of course, that doesn't mean that this is its only use; just the impeteus behind it.

Good stuff!! Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
08-04-2005, 03:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.