PDA

View Full Version : Siggraph+ZBrush=???

richcz3
08-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Am I missing something here?
Two days into Siggraph and I have seen/read any news on ZBrush. Is Pixologic going to make any anouncements? How about demo the new features and disclose release dates. Meats...any idea???

APLevitz
08-04-2005, 06:42 AM
Am I missing something here?
Two days into Siggraph and I have seen/read any news on ZBrush. Is Pixologic going to make any anouncements? How about demo the new features and disclose release dates. Meats...any idea???Dude, they're two days into Siggraph. You just said so yourself. Remember, while you're at home anxiously waiting for news, the whole team is out there in the trenches working their asses off.

Release dates are still undisclosed, online and in person. The word now is they'll be able to announce something later this month, but are probably not 100% sure yet themselves. They can't commit to a schedule until it's done.

There's much whining over this at ZBrush Central, if you'd like to lend your voice. But I think it'll go better if we all just sit back and chill for a week or so.

mlmiller1983
08-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Yeah I have been waiting for news from Pixologic too. Adobe too, was expecting an AE 7.0 announcement from them. Well they have until the end of the August 4th I guess.

mlmiller1983
08-04-2005, 05:35 PM
I am sure they are waiting until the end to build suspence.

onlooker
08-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Your not going to see any news about ZBrush unless you attend SIGGRAPH, or you wait for it to be over, and give them a chance to write an article. Some new news should be coming maybe a week, or two after the show at ZBcentral, and then right here. Those guys are working 24/7 at SIGGRAPH, and they will need a rest after all that. :)

ThePumpkinKing
08-05-2005, 04:01 PM
So wait, your saying in a week we should see the news at ZB Central?

richcz3
08-05-2005, 05:58 PM
LOOK Here >> LINK (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=264338&page=1&pp=15)

APLevitz
08-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Within a week, I'd say. And here shortly thereafter.

As much as we can't go setting arbitrary "the show's started, so tell me everything!" deadlines, there's no law stating how much time they have to rest up after Siggraph.

Just give 'em space -- all will be revealed soon enough.

Erik Heyninck
08-06-2005, 02:27 PM
I prefer to wait a little longer because I do know that they would have prefered to show at Siggraph. If they don't/can't then it's because it does not yet meet their (high) standards. Don't forget they are now in pipelines for studios etc, and a growing reputation is easily crushed.

skuby
08-07-2005, 08:46 AM
They did show 2.5 at Siggraph and it was awsome, they also told me that it's expected near the end of this month.

New in 2.5...

Bones. You can't export the weighting to Maya or anything yet but it is not insanely simple to rig up your characters for posing in ZBrush, you just pop in a few bones and press rig, and the weighting comes out perfect, they demo'd it on a character who's legs were toutching each other and it solved it without a single glitch.

The program can now also remember where you put objects, so when you switch tools it just swaps the objects out and redraws it for you in the same spot when you want to switch back so you don't even notice what it's doing.

They have a new system for drawing surfaces ontop of existing geometry, basically you can draw on clothing with ease and then modify it to your hearts content, it's a really cool feature with alot of potential.

The software also has support for working with over 15 million polys now, though I'm sure you will need a computer to match, but all around this is a pretty huge upgrade you guys shouldn't be dissapointed when you see it.

ThomasMahler
08-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Hmmm... I hope the retopologizing tools are good for more than just putting "cloth" on a already existing mesh - I really hope that it makes retopologizing ZBrush models as easy and straight-forward as possible.

richcz3
08-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Keep in mind they also had a Siggraph sale price for people who attended. They showcased the updates in 2.5 update to encourage people to buy now. As stated by others the 2.5 update is not a couple quarters away, making the update info relevant to promoter current sales.

It looks like more companies are willing to let the word get out via attendees going to shows.
Newtek, Luxology, ZBrush to name a few.
That could prove to be a bad move because of feature misinterpretation. I read others saying there was 20 million poly elephant being modeled. That information is best suited to be provided by the companies on their sites than by end users on posting on forums. Sometimes that leads to speculation or worse disinformation that can hurt sales.

APLevitz
08-07-2005, 08:25 PM
they also told me that it's expected near the end of this month.Lots of people "heard" this, but what was SAID is that they'll be announcing the release date this month. That release date might also be this month, or it might be a year from now. The point is, we don't know yet, and won't know until the end of this month.

My guess is they hadn't hit Feature Lock yet, and need to begin testing in earnest before they can predict (much less announce) when the software will be ready for public consumption.

ThePumpkinKing
08-07-2005, 09:08 PM
The program can now also remember where you put objects, so when you switch tools it just swaps the objects out and redraws it for you in the same spot when you want to switch back so you don't even notice what it's doing.

Wait a minute, whqt does this mean? That you can edit multiple objects at the same time? And was there anything at siggraph about the 9 new brushes they said would be in the new upgrade?

skuby
08-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Thats what they told me when I bought a copy from their booth big guy. All week long they kept saying check back at the end of the show for a release date, and I did and bought a copy for myself, and they said they were expecting it sometime around the end of August and that the update would be free.

chadtheartist
08-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Aurick posts some information about Zmapper and other things over at ZBC.

http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=27733&page=1&pp=15

He also says in the same thread that they will announce the release date before the end of August. So I don't think it's going to be released by the end of this month. I'm think we're going to get a plugin a month, since there are a few of them. Hopefully we'll get Zmapper first, as I'm not really interested in the photoshop plugin.

CGTalk Moderation
08-08-2005, 02:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.