PDA

View Full Version : NaturalMotion Announces Endorphin 2.5

LW3D
08-03-2005, 02:38 PM
LOS ANGELES, SIGGRAPH (Booth #1760) – Aug. 2, 2005 – NaturalMotion Ltd., thedevelopers of breakthrough 3D animation technology based on Dynamic Motion Synthesis (DMS), today announced the forthcoming release of endorphin 2.5, the newest version of the company’s award-winning 3D character animation software. endorphin 2.5’s powerful new transitioning, blending and behavior features, combined with enhancements to asset repurposing tools and improved FBX support, allow animators to create realistic, fully interactive 3D character animation faster and easier than traditional keyframe or motioncapture techniques.

Press Release (http://www.naturalmotion.com/files/endorphin2%205_final.pdf)

http://www.naturalmotion.com/

Wizdoc
08-03-2005, 04:17 PM
It is certainly an interesting piece of software. I've been playing around with 2.0. Learning Edition (available from their site), it is a strong application, but there are several things I'd like to see implemented in a future version:

1) Some kind of walk/run/movement cycle generator, like Poser has. Now the only way to create even a simple walk cycle is to resort to an external program or motion capture.

2) More flexible constraints, to keep the characters from keeling over when released to simulation. It's extremely hard to do a simple sidestep that looks good, for example.

3) Behaviours that help character to move around and get up from a prone position (next to impossible without a pre-generated animation now).

Endorphin shows a great promise to become a full-fledged "procedural" character animation software if they'd include support for keeping characters balanced. At the current version - it's just great for fallings, hangings, tumblings and jumpings.

Bonedaddy
08-03-2005, 05:58 PM
I played with it a bit on the show floor. They have a new balance behavior, which is a godsent. They mentioned something about adaptive learning behavior from mocap data, I think. Didn't notice any new constraints, but wasn't really looking for them.

Continuumx
08-03-2005, 08:58 PM
This is a smart program and you can see how this would be perfect for large studio motion picture productions.

This is definitely the future of motion images and human forms! I like the concept of behaviors.

darktding
08-03-2005, 09:37 PM
And the end of Animators MHUWHAHAHAHA!!
but yeah a really nice peice of software... for only 12k :D

Dervish
10-14-2005, 01:11 PM
was mocap the end of animators? was film the end of cartoons? is someone here wearing pink shorts?

well seriosly, its really nice software, still needs an animator to use it, and even if someday you can tell a computer to animate a hole movie for you, an animator would have to tell that to the computer... :p

CGTalk Moderation
10-14-2005, 01:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.