PDA

View Full Version : building planes for noobs. (tut, tips thing)

SHEPEIRO
08-03-2005, 10:55 AM
hi someone asked me earlier how to go about building a plane so i thought i would start a tutorial tips kind of thing.

SHEPEIRO
08-03-2005, 11:32 AM
well for starters draw the model from top, side, and front, bot and back if nesessary.
and create a good model sheet with all the major parts at the correct scale to the same part in other images.

import into 3dsmax and set as tex on planes, make sure you use the "get uvw size from texture" in uvw rollout.

align them up and you have a box to model inside.

SHEPEIRO
08-03-2005, 11:53 AM
ok if i didnt explain that very well, i mean apply each view(on tex) to the oppostite side of a box then invert normals. i,e the top image of the model, goes on the bot the bot on the top side of the box, front on back, etc
so you have a box to work inside of.

you can then create your vertexs, polys to line up with the drawings so theres no messing around.

another tip i do is
when i want to change stuff once i get to this stage i trace the images with a few splines and alter these, it speeds the prosses up cos you can work intirely out of 3d package rather than loading up photoshop to alter them.

SHEPEIRO
08-03-2005, 12:00 PM
step two
starting to model.
i know in the begining it is tempting to to model everything in one go. start with a cylinder scale and alter it and then attempt to extrude out of it for wings and things. this is quick but not very good way of doing tyhings.

your better off takling seperate parts of a plane seperatly. so start with the fuselage, model that, then hide that, and model the wings, un hide the fuse once u have done that then join them, by cutting a hole in the fusealage and creating polys in between. these can then be refined by slicing or chamfering to create a fillet.

remeber cutting and joining may seem labour intensive but its so much better, esp when following exact design.

repeat procsess for other parts.

this is the technique i use for pretty much everything.

SHEPEIRO
08-03-2005, 12:13 PM
down to the basics

sorry if i dont make sense and skip around , i do this between doing work at work.

ok when you have your box to model in, i usually start by making box on centre line(x0y0z0). then i select the entire mesh and delete it and start from scratch by tracing out line in vertexs.

the amount you use depends on how detailed you want the mesh and how your going to alter it as you go along.

i try to stick a few ,create a poly/s then cut the mesh and pull the vertexs out.
so if im working on the side of my fuselage i will roughly outline it, cut it down the middle from front to back and pull these out to the right point in the front and top view. then i add more parrelel lines bulking out the cross sectioon ofg the object. all this time using the model sheet as a reference towhere to put cuts/vertexs.
then i would do the same along the aircarfts fuselage.

doing it this way really helps to get the right shape if you attempt to draw and create all the polys flat then pull them out along z then you end up with a mind boggling task and often wonky surfaces.

SHEPEIRO
08-03-2005, 12:14 PM
ideas tips and crits on my prossess spelling would be good, actually not enough space for spelling tips.

Cyph3rs
08-03-2005, 01:15 PM
ok this is what i got so far:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b346/cyph3rs/screen.jpg

is that right? how shud i start modelling?

SHEPEIRO
08-03-2005, 01:30 PM
man i keep getting dots instead of images, is there somthing wrong with me, or are me settings wrong please tell me someone they look like this
see. thats all i get.

Cyph3rs
08-03-2005, 01:31 PM
hmm i wil put it as an attachment instead

Cyph3rs
08-03-2005, 01:33 PM
ok take 2

is this right? how shud i start modelling it?

SHEPEIRO
08-03-2005, 01:44 PM
yeah thats perfect.
i would start by modelling the fuse. making sure the box is centred around point zero. darkest lines in maxs grid .
chocks away as someone with a mind of cheese would say.

Cyph3rs
08-03-2005, 01:53 PM
i dont get how to start? a box? how many segments? shud i make the box the size of the whole fuse? or make a small box and extrude till i get the whole fuse??

SHEPEIRO
08-03-2005, 02:12 PM
make a box then make it editable poly. delete all of the mesh,

crazy huh, then follow the steps i put up in basic modelling above. it seems extreme to start like that but i find once you get up to speed withh it its just as fast because you can decide where all the vertexs go while they are created. rather than going about after creation.

if you really dont want to do this then start with a cylinder, and then cut holes in it where copit, wings will go later. but i would advise starting as said above and getting used to it.

p.s stupid me forgot to say only build it from side away from box,(so you can see modelimage and mesh in side view0

the other side will be mirrored later

if you want to see how your getting on as you build the model.
add a symetry modifier in the stack above the editable poly,
then go back into editable poly and click on the test tube like icon just under the stack.
this allows you to see changes to both sides as you modify the one.

make sure the miror planes in right place if you create the original box in side view thwe pivots in right place automatically

Cyph3rs
08-03-2005, 02:18 PM
can u post a few pics of what you mean?? sorry im an idiot and i dont pick up on things quickly

SHEPEIRO
08-03-2005, 03:01 PM
yeah i will but you will have to wait for tom to see them. as no 3d at work.

Cyph3rs
08-03-2005, 03:05 PM
i just dont understand the bit "delete the whole mesh" and the stuff after that, how can i model if nothin is there?

SHEPEIRO
08-03-2005, 03:30 PM
crap sorry bad stuff.

what i mean is then go into vertex (in edit poly rollout), and click on create button then in side view click where you want the vertexs, go into poly (in edit poly rollout), and select create button, the vertexs you made should appear, now click on each in turn to create a new poly, i usually create one big one then cut to save time.

sorry this is the first time ive tried tuts and im not very good, at explaining stuff.
keep missing the real basics hope this helps.

Cyph3rs
08-03-2005, 03:33 PM
oooooooooooooooooooooooo i undestand now!! well kinda lol

Cyph3rs
08-03-2005, 03:45 PM
i lie, i still dont get it :sad: what i have dun so far is went into the top viewport the plotted the vertex's around Half the reference (not sure if thats what i was suposed to do) but then i go into polygon mode and join em all but then im left with a flat plane (not an aeroplane a plane) what am i doin wrong!?!!?! :cry: :banghead:

MK2
08-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Maybe you should make(and finish) the tut first and then make the thread for it... just an idea.

SHEPEIRO
08-03-2005, 04:27 PM
mk2 yeah i think your def in atly right.

cyph3r you should create your vertexs in the side view then create the polys, it in the side view . but will make better tut for tom

prob start new and improved thread this one sgone a bit wrong
good intentions though.

Cyph3rs
08-03-2005, 04:48 PM
o yeh! make it in the side view!!! then move the vertexts around to fit with the refernces!! shud i make a cut thru the middle to made it rounded?

SHEPEIRO
08-03-2005, 04:54 PM
yeah and then make more and more to make it more rounded.

Cyph3rs
08-03-2005, 04:59 PM
ok i think i understand this now, btw in polygon mode, i go create then when i join up the last poly 3ds max crashed and then says "3ds max needs to close due to a sever error do u wish to make a back up of the current file?" its annoying, but i wil try to find out how to stop it doin that :sad:

Cyph3rs
08-03-2005, 05:03 PM
ok i've sorted that problem :D

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2005, 05:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.