PDA

View Full Version : Pixologic Shows ZBrush 2.5

LW3D
08-03-2005, 10:45 AM
It seems Pixologic Shows ZBrush 2.5... Lots of ZBrush user reported that it will release soon..

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showpost.php?p=221731&postcount=23

I'm surprised nobody has posted anything yet. Pixologic made a pretty good showing at Siggraph this year. I sat through their demo a couple of times and caught the tail end of Meats showing off his cool tricks at their 3:00 demo. Scored a signed poster as well -- pleased about that (thanks Meats and Gnomon and Pixologic!).

I tried to absorb as much as I could and here are the things that stood out.

1. Z-Brush 2.5 -- Do I really have to even say it? I can't wait to see this release take this community by storm. The Z-sphere rigging looks really cool and extremely intuitive as does the cool topology trick they used to create geometry right on top of their tools for clothes. And of course....even more polys than ever before.

2. Zmapper - Cool plug-in (for 2.0 and 2.5) that will really improve upon the outputting of normal maps and the like. Really seemed to be feature rich.

3. Another cool plug-in that allowed Zbrush to open Photoshop and edit the image in Projection Master before dropping it again with the Photoshop tweaks applied. A real bonus for those of us more proficient in painting in PS.

Without saying anything concrete, the Pixologic folks implied heavily that 2.5 will be out this year, and that the plug-ins will be released for 2.0 in the next couple of months.

I probably won't be able to get out there tomorrow, but I'm glad I was able to get over there today.

Jaime

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showpost.php?p=221712&postcount=284
At the show they were saying that 2.5 would be about "a month or two" away. I was really hoping for a Siggraph release. Oh well.

The good news, for me anyway, is there's a plugin coming sooner than that that will make normal map creation alot easier. Looks like they fixed the problems with tangent space normal maps, and there's a significant speed increase. It also incorporates bump maps into the normal map (YEAH!)
It also let you view the normal map on your model as it would look in your game engine, something until recently I would have to do in 3dsmax with a DX9 texture. They said that's about a week or two away.

Also coming is a plugin linking Projection Master to Photoshop.
It seemed to let you export your dropped down PM image to Photoshop, manipulate it, then send it back to PM where you could then pick-up your model again.

I hope I don't ruffle any feathers by posting this, but I figured if it was said in the demo then it's free game to talk about.

Also, big ups to Meats Miers for signing posters for a good 30-40 minutes after his demo. His hand must be freakin tired.

~Mike D.

DotPainter
08-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Wow!

I was wondering how long it would take before I could edit a 2d version of the displacement (or any other channel) in real time all while looking at the updates to the mesh. Really nice
showing from Zbrush!

dotTom
08-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Cool, have Pixologic posted any videos or walk-throughs of the new features yet?

Ordibble-Plop
08-03-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm really looking forward to the new version but I'm not going to hold my breath. Pixologic has a long tradition of not hitting unofficial release dates in favour of solid code and adding more features.

It seemed to let you export your dropped down PM image to Photoshop, manipulate it, then send it back to PM where you could then pick-up your model again.

You could do this in effect anyway simply by exporting your zdoc, working on it and then re-importing all while still dropped, though if it has been made seamless between the programs without the fiddling it will be handy.

Rivendale
08-03-2005, 01:26 PM
A new verison of Zbrush must be good. What I'm wondering is will it finally be possible to generate displacement and normalmaps from 2 models where the highres is not based on the edited lowres.

CML

Xevious
08-03-2005, 07:16 PM
The photoshop thing is cool but I find myself painting more with Corel Painter more often. I wonder if there will be a plugin for that in the future.

nvvm
08-03-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm impressed by what I see from the video's. Pixologic seems to be 1 step ahead of those trying to catch up to it or implement it's features.

richcz3
08-03-2005, 08:15 PM
That was a good read. I was hoping for a closer release date but hey, better solid and stable than rushed and buggy.

Lyr
08-04-2005, 01:03 AM
The "photoshop plugin" is really a psd plug in. You can set it to use any app that will open a psd, including painter. Also they showed an amazing model of an elephant with 20 million polygons. Totally insane that is scan resolution. This is one hell of an update.

erilaz
08-04-2005, 01:14 AM
This may be enough to make me finally buy. I just wish they'd release an updated demo!

Teyon
08-04-2005, 03:36 AM
Wow...seems Pixologic and Silo traded ideas before Siggraph. Silo has displacement painting and ZBrush has its own version of Silo's topology brush. :eek: I'm floored at the modeling rig but more surprised at the topology brush-alike feature they've added and how well it's intergrated into the system. Kudos to Pixologic!

Signal2Noise
08-04-2005, 04:28 AM
This may be enough to make me finally buy. I just wish they'd release an updated demo!

Ditto on both counts.

Art2
08-04-2005, 09:32 AM

Me too. I'm checking out the demo and a demo update would be very welcome.

erilaz
08-04-2005, 02:31 PM
If they release a new demo i'd buy in a snap, i'm sure. The price is so nice!

Sequent
08-04-2005, 03:47 PM
This is great news as I'm a Painter user also. (In addition to PSD).

The "photoshop plugin" is really a psd plug in. You can set it to use any app that will open a psd, including painter. Also they showed an amazing model of an elephant with 20 million polygons. Totally insane that is scan resolution. This is one hell of an update.

richcz3
08-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Anyone thinking of getting ZBrush. I highly recommend downloading the ZBrush Practical Guide (http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=3471). Once you get some tutorials down and into the interface workflow, the modeling is amazing. The Topology Brush and Rigging tools in the FREE 2.5 update will take this program over the top.

The demo version they have up, makes no sense. It does not do v2.0 justice. :shrug:

MitchVFX
08-04-2005, 08:22 PM
The Topology Brush and Rigging tools in the FREE 2.5 update will take this program over the top.

2.5 is going to be free to 2.0 users? Holy #*%@! those guys are awesome.

richcz3
08-04-2005, 08:56 PM
copied and pasted from pixologic's site

Sneak Preview Movies of upcoming features in the next Free Update! (http://pixologic.com/zbrush/media_links/movies.html)
Go to the bottom of the page or use this LINK (http://pixologic.com/zbrush/media_links/movies2.html)
The Topography Brush is demonstrated in the 2nd video. :love:

hypercube
08-04-2005, 09:06 PM
Picked this up on discount at the show, too good a deal to pass up, and a new wacom for good measure..had to get on the z-train, it's just too awesome. Look forward to contaminating the forums with early efforts ;) and definitely getting the practical guide!

Got to see Rick Baker and Aaron Simms(sp) talk about what they've been doing too at the booth, that was cool.

Edit: holy crap, the reason the box was so heavy is they included a printed and bound version of the Practical Guide! That is too awesome of them..that's got to be a chunk of change to include for free..I love these guys.

nvvm
08-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Wow...seems Pixologic and Silo traded ideas before Siggraph. Silo has displacement painting and ZBrush has its own version of Silo's topology brush. :eek: I'm floored at the modeling rig but more surprised at the topology brush-alike feature they've added and how well it's intergrated into the system. Kudos to Pixologic!I disagree with this, the zbrush tool seems much more than a simply "topology brush" and isn't imo even closely relate to the silo feature. Silo implemented the zbrush type displacement feature to make it seem more viable especilly for the price, which they are raising btw. I

ThePumpkinKing
08-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Pretty much ditto to everything said here, although I REALLY want to see the 9 new brushes they said would be released with 2.5.

Lyr
08-05-2005, 11:48 PM
Those of you thinking about buying, I would probably do so now. Zbrush has made huge improvements, on top of much higher polycounts you can now also have multiple maps maps per model (looks like they are assigned by uv groups) I also remember the presenter saying that the maps can now be 32bits per channel, but I can't find anything about that in the brochures they had at thier booth.

lovisx
08-06-2005, 01:29 AM
these movies are old, doesn't anyone have something new?

richcz3
08-06-2005, 01:33 AM
Is this a new, maybe a weird marketing trend. Some companies stating information at key shows but not showcasing the details in print, video, or websites? The only way I know the new features about ZBrush 2.5 are from people who saw it demonstrated and posting on forums. :surprised

EDIT:
yeah lovisx, those videos are old. That's in line with my point, many people are unaware of them. Let alone if there will be any new ones to address the Siggraph update.

lovisx
08-06-2005, 01:58 AM
sorry richcz3, wasn't trying to insult the videos that were posted, just that I've been so anxsious to see something from zbrush about it's new features for texturing and what not, and really nothing has been posted, ie image and movie wise. And siggraph has been on for a week now.

Teyon
08-06-2005, 02:12 AM
Anyone know if they have plans to ever update the demo to at least version 2? Seems silly that they've gone this long without updating the demo...

Art2
08-06-2005, 09:10 AM
I was wondering from a price point of view. Better buy now and upgrade for free or wait for 2.5 since there won't be a price increase. Or will there be?

richcz3
08-06-2005, 08:07 PM
lovisx - I wrote my response wrong, I am in aagreement with you. For whatever reason Pixologic has an old demo and has not updated their site videos with any of the new features in a long time. Now Siggraph is over so I see a big missed opportunity.

Art2 - I personaly wouldn't wait for 2.5. It sounds like a significant update to 2.0. ZBrush takes a while ot get accustomed to, why not get acclimated with it now.just my 2 cents.

Continuumx
08-06-2005, 09:16 PM
I cannot wait for this fantastic update- I will always have a place in my work for Zbrush!

THe topology brush is going to be a godsend! I really needed that for a past work. This brings new possibilities in making edgeloops where you want them or just where you want some new special geometrical properties to take hold.

ThePumpkinKing
08-06-2005, 09:28 PM
I was wondering from a price point of view. Better buy now and upgrade for free or wait for 2.5 since there won't be a price increase. Or will there be?

Even though pixologic hasn't said anything, if this is a free upgrade, then I SERIOUSLY DOUBT that they would raise their prices

SRCobb
08-07-2005, 11:00 PM
That rigging feature looks sweet. Is there a way for that to be useful in rigging a character that your going to export to another program? Saving weightmaps, for example?

Lyr
08-07-2005, 11:06 PM
That rigging feature looks sweet. Is there a way for that to be useful in rigging a character that your going to export to another program? Saving weightmaps, for example?

They did mention this at siggraph, basically yes, you can get the rigged models out of zbrush...with an export zscript YOU write...:rolleyes: But atleast it will be possible.

smoothoperator
08-08-2005, 01:26 AM
I don't understand why they haven't released a v.2 demo yet. What's up with that? When are they planning to offer it?

Nichod
08-08-2005, 05:11 AM
I don't understand why they haven't released a v.2 demo yet. What's up with that? When are they planning to offer it? I agree. To me its just bad service. The difference in 2.0 is great, and to me I'm not buying until I can demo. I found the old UI horrible and if 2.0-.5 is similar in design its not my cup of tea. I'd rather hand paint my displacement maps instead.

smoothoperator
08-08-2005, 03:24 PM
There is a BIG difference with 1.55 and 2.0 THAT'S what's bothering me. But they havn
t released a demo for it. It's stupid. I viewed the Gnomon videos for zbrush2.0 with Meats Miers and I can't wait to try it. What's so hard about releasing a trial version? Bad service indeed. But now that they got big studios getting on board maybe they can't be bothered with getting a demo version of 2.0 out to the general public.
+smooth+

Teyon
08-08-2005, 03:32 PM
I should correct my previous outburst. While I am among the many who feel it is time Pixologic released a demo of version 2, I don't think the delay has anything to do with extra interest in the program by studios nor do I feel they are ignoring customers. It may be something as simple as not being able to lock out save features or add time sensitivity to the program so it can run properly as a demo. I'm sure pixologic is working on it (I hope they are) but yes, all in all I feel it's time one was released.

richcz3
08-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Whatever their reason for not releasing a demo, its effect on end sales probably isn't realized. Anyone who reads forum posts is clearly aware of that (interesting) user interface and many would therefore prefer to sample the features of v.2, not 1.5.

I did a blind jump on the ZBrush bandwagon upon release and the transition (for me) was a tough one. Fascination followed by rounds of frustration. I can not overstate how important the PDF guide and online tutorials are. Once you can get past the workflow quirks, the program is truly an invaluable modeling tool.

Whatever the reasons for not updating the demo, I can totaly understand why some people are not willing to buy into ZBrush without qualifying the a v.2.0 demo.

Lyr
08-08-2005, 05:28 PM
I agree. To me its just bad service. The difference in 2.0 is great, and to me I'm not buying until I can demo. I found the old UI horrible and if 2.0-.5 is similar in design its not my cup of tea. I'd rather hand paint my displacement maps instead.

You'd rather use a 2d method to generate 3d data than actually sculpt it? The Zbrush 2 ui is greatly improved over 1. but Zbrush still operates under a different paradigm, and it's this other paradigm that people really hate, they just take it out on the ui.

DarkMantid
08-09-2005, 01:24 AM
Hi Guys , can anyone explain to me what this "new" topology brush is ive been searching high and lo and i cant seem to find any reference to it ?

Also what are these 9 new brush types ?

cheers

richcz3
08-09-2005, 01:35 AM
Hi Guys , can anyone explain to me what this "new" topology brush is ive been searching high and lo and i cant seem to find any reference to it ?

cheers

Go to the bottom of the page or use this LINK (http://pixologic.com/zbrush/media_links/movies2.html)
The Topography Brush is demonstrated in the 2nd video

ThePumpkinKing
08-09-2005, 01:40 AM

cheers

The topology brush is a way to reconstruct meshes by "drawing" new polygons on them. You probably can't find anything on it becuase Pixologic didn't actually name it the Topology brush. It's just becuase it has the same function as Silo's Topology Brush, if not a bit different (I'm ecstatic about being able to preview meshes as you draw them).

The 9 new brush types I thought I heard over at ZBCentral that they would be included in Zbrush 2.5, but I might have misunderstood, or it could just be that luxology doesn't want to reveal too much tot he public until their press release, so no one misunderstands the uses of the brushes, and people don't tell other people about things ZB 2.5 will have that they really don't, all based on a misunderstanding.

I'm guessing they revealed ZMapper becuase it's a pretty basic concept, and there's really not a lot of room for misinterpretation.

Rivendale
08-09-2005, 01:44 AM
A new verison of Zbrush must be good. What I'm wondering is will it finally be possible to generate displacement and normalmaps from 2 models where the highres is not based on the edited lowres. Just let me repeat this I posted earlier. I can't be the only one bothered by this, or have I missed something and this is actually possible? I consider this a major flaw with the normalmap/displacement generator and it most often makes me not bother taking my models into zbrush. When I have a lowres gamemodel it will not have a good topology to take into zbrush and do modelling on, but I want to generate the normalmap/displacement onto that model.

CML

Teyon
08-09-2005, 02:02 AM
That's where a topology brush comes in handy. It allows you to create a low res mesh based on the high res mesh. :) You'd have to make the low res or high res share the same UV co-ords though. A program like UVMapper can do it if ZBrush can't (though I imagine it can a whole lot better).

opus13
08-09-2005, 03:47 AM
they always release a demo of the previous version. no new version = no new demo.

they have stated this on their forums and communiques many times. instead of releasing a crippled version (maya PLE for example) they just hold off until eve if someone used their product for free non-stop, they wouldnt have all the benefits that a legit user would have.

its not 'bad service'. you dont have dont be a jackass about it, they are just trying to preserve their product from flooding the illegitimate market.

MunCHeR
08-09-2005, 07:25 AM
Does anyone know if pixologic are planning a linux version of zbrush, I heard it mentioned in a few threads just wondering if anything was mentioned at siggraph?

Cheers

MunCH

Ai02
08-18-2005, 09:26 PM
ZBrush Siggraph Recap (http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?p=224574#post224574)

leuey
08-18-2005, 09:58 PM
wow....i wish it was longer. Is the UV thing basically the same kind of unwrap allgorithm that everybody else was showing?
-Greg

lovisx
08-19-2005, 02:08 AM
was there any talk about texture painting? Will there be the ability to preview specularity and paint it in real time, instead of having to work through different materials?

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2005, 02:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.