PDA

View Full Version : 8x AGP graphic card on 1x AGP board?

Russell-Nash
08-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Hi,
I have a question concerning AGP.
I just bought a MSI TI4200-VTD8X 128MB DDR graphic card which is 8x AGP.
Now I realized that I only have a mainboard with 4x AGP (EliteGroup K7VZA V3 with ViaKT133 chipset).

Can anybody tell me if I can use the new graphic card with my old mainboard?

Russel

Jonj1611
08-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi,
I have a question concerning AGP.
I just bought a MSI TI4200-VTD8X 128MB DDR graphic card which is 8x AGP.
Now I realized that I only have a mainboard with 4x AGP (EliteGroup K7VZA V3 with ViaKT133 chipset).

Can anybody tell me if I can use the new graphic card with my old mainboard?

Russel

Hi, If you have bought it wouldn't it be easier to put it in and find out?

It could go either way, the card may clock down to 4x or it may not work at all, it depends on a lot of factors, I would try it and find out.

Jon

Vertizor
08-03-2005, 03:05 PM
I put a AGP 8x card in my 4x motherboard and it works fine, at 4x of course. The box says 8x but to my knowledge all AGP 8x video cards are also 4x and 2x compatible.

Russell-Nash
08-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the feed back,

that's good news. :thumbsup:
I bought the graphic card yesterday on eBay for 30 Euro. Now I have to wait till it arrives. Hopefully this will solve some driver problems I have right now. Currently I have a dual screen setup with to graphic cards (Geforce 2 & Riva TNT) and some programs show some strange behaviour. :sad:

Russel

deathman20
08-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Graphic cards are tricky... Some will work some won't.

From what I remember an 8x card can do 4x, truely there isn't a speed difference between the two modes (if it is its slight). Now going down to 2x or 1x there might be issues. Not sure if the 8x cards are ment to go that low, but more so of the problem will be to see if the motherboard accepts the card.

Issues in the past I had a 8x card and it wouldn't work in a 4x slot, even some 4x cards wouldn't work in the 4x slot. It was just the way the motherboard was designed and it could only accept certain video cards.

Russell-Nash
08-03-2005, 05:14 PM
OK, letís hope it will work.
I just send a note to MSI to ask if this graphic card will work with my mainboard.

Russel

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2005, 05:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.