PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials on painting blood?

Alexandria
08-03-2005, 09:01 AM
Hallo y'all. Recently I've found myself boggled by attempting to paint blood and dark liquids. Especially when it is splattered over skin or fabrics. So, I'm here to ask if anyone has any tips or tutorials on the subject of painting blood... Hyperrealistic, if possible. If you work in photoshop, is there a certain brush you like to use, or a filter you put over it?

Well, that's all. Thanks.

Lunatique
08-04-2005, 04:27 AM
You simply have to observe how it looks in reality. Mix some up with paint, or use other dark liquids at about the same thickness/transparency as blood, then splatter it onto something, put some lights on it--try to get the lighting as close to the painting you're working on, then take photo references.

I did a painting once that had quite a bit of blood in it, but the blood is mixed with fat as well, and is thicker because the scene is in cold weather at night: http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/illustrations/blood_siren/blood_siren.htm

Alexandria
08-04-2005, 08:07 AM
You simply have to observe how it looks in reality. Mix some up with paint, or use other dark liquids at about the same thickness/transparency as blood, then splatter it onto something, put some lights on it--try to get the lighting as close to the painting you're working on, then take photo references.

I did a painting once that had quite a bit of blood in it, but the blood is mixed with fat as well, and is thicker because the scene is in cold weather at night: http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/illustrations/blood_siren/blood_siren.htm

Ah... I don't know where to get any sort of blood - I have heard about some photographers using cow's blood, though, so I guess it can't be that hard to find - but I'll definitely look into that. It sounds like the most sensible course of action. And that picture is lovely. Thank you for the advice!

Maidith
08-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Lunatique is right; observing how it looks in reality is the best method. You don't need to make a massacre to do this ;) for I recently found some great photos of blood:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/13414762/
http://www.deviantart.com/view/6051669/

CodeNothing
08-05-2005, 10:09 PM
BAAAAAAHHHHH! I BAahH at you who asks for filters to make it look good!

digital painting is not a shortcut. do as all artists do and observe and paint as you see it. paint the blood flat black as an underpainting, deep red on top of that, and a few 'sparks' of pink/white.

take reference photos to study from. Also pay attention to how the surounding environment/light reflects on the red. Dont be lazy! No 'Blood' button in the filter menu!

sory, ive been dealing with alot of people asking me how to paint in photoshop lately and its strange the ideas they get in their head. :)

JMcWilliams
08-05-2005, 11:03 PM
BAAAAAAHHHHH! I BAahH at you who asks for filters to make it look good!

digital painting is not a shortcut. do as all artists do and observe and paint as you see it. paint the blood flat black as an underpainting, deep red on top of that, and a few 'sparks' of pink/white.

take reference photos to study from. Also pay attention to how the surounding environment/light reflects on the red. Dont be lazy! No 'Blood' button in the filter menu!

sory, ive been dealing with alot of people asking me how to paint in photoshop lately and its strange the ideas they get in their head. :)

Quoted for agreement. :D

Mistchiff
08-09-2005, 01:05 AM
my god...

wondering why she has very pointy fingers..
NOT what they are FOR, but why she has them.

greatley made.

Sorrow and regret i feel when watching that.

GREAT JOB =D and its always a pleasure too watch step by step.
its so weird that it all starts of as lines.. well alot of lines tho =D
i wouldent be able to do this kind of art in a million years.

Lunatique
08-09-2005, 02:55 AM
wondering why she has very pointy fingers..
NOT what they are FOR, but why she has them.

There is actually a story written about the painting on the same page. Scroll down to read it. Gotta warn you, it's a very sad story.

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2005, 02:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.