PDA

View Full Version : Hey Tech Heads Workstation Advice Needed!

RiKToR
08-03-2005, 08:09 AM
Ok so I am finally getting rid of Area51m 5500, I am trading it to someone who is willing to accept less performance for more portability. In return I am gettings as follows;

MSI 865PE Neo2 FISR mobo
3.0Ghz P4 w/ HT 800Mhz FSB
1 GIG of OCZ DDR 400 Ram
2x 74.6Gig Western Digital Raptors running at 10k RPM
40Gig Samsung running at 7K RPM
Geforce 6800 Ultra Extreme Edition 256MB DDR3 450/1200 Clock

This machine will be used for Animation, Matte Painting, Audio Composing, Video Editing, Compositing, etc.

And my choice of a 17" Viewsonic CRT or a 15" no name LCD.

My questions are this; Do the 6800's have any known issuses with Maya 6 or Max 7?

Should I run the two raptors under a RAID 0 and have higher performance or should I just have one run Video and the other run Audio?

Does anyone know how to get an NTFS formatted hard drive to FAT32 so I can use it on mac as well?

Besides Ram what should be the next upgrade?

Thx in Advance

yalcinaydin
08-03-2005, 09:55 AM
And my choice of a 17" Viewsonic CRT or a 15" no name LCD.
You're using it for graphic works and buying a 17":eek: don't think below 19", I've a Samsung 997MB and working at 1600X1200 is great (@75HZ isn't a perfect value but it does the job)
My questions are this; Do the 6800's have any known issuses with Maya 6 or Max 7?As I know there's no problem with them and you can also try moding it to Quadro 4000.
Should I run the two raptors under a RAID 0 and have higher performance or should I just have one run Video and the other run Audio?10K and RAID 0 -->good performance boost! Just go for the RAID 0
Besides Ram what should be the next upgrade?if not adding more and more RAM then changing the platform to dual core.

rawshark
08-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Should I run the two raptors under a RAID 0 and have higher performance or should I just have one run Video and the other run Audio?
10K and RAID 0 -->good performance boost! Just go for the RAID 0

I'm no expert, but it seems that this is not the case - "The real world performance increases are negligible at best and the reduction in reliability, thanks to a halving of the mean time between failure, makes RAID-0 far from worth it"

from this article (http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101&p=11)

I personally have just ordered a system with 2 raptors, but have decided against RAID-0, preferring to use the 2nd drive as a dedicated scratch disk...

As for NTFS-->FAT32 - Partition Magic should do it, and I think I read somewhere that Windows XP can do it natively as well.

RiKToR
08-03-2005, 05:02 PM
You're using it for graphic works and buying a 17":eek: don't think below 19", I've a Samsung 997MB and working at 1600X1200 is great (@75HZ isn't a perfect value but it does the job)

I am not buying anything, it is a straight trade for my laptop so the only two options are the 17' crt or a 15' LCD. Also space is and issue too because I live with my inlaws while a finish school I only have a really small desk in my bedroom. If the CRT is the best way way to to go I'll go with it because it can go up to 2k res and 200Hz as opposed to the LCD which is 1024 x 768 and 75Hz.

Also do you have any info on how to softquad to 4000, I was under the impression that it could only be done on older reference drivers.

RiKToR
08-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Alright well I got it, I've decided to run the raptors without raid since editing DV is about all I need at this time. I got the Viewsonic monitor but if it doesn't work as far as space wise I will have to swap. I also got him to give me 60gig instead of the 40.

I'm perusing through guru3d.com looking for the softquad stuff. Thanks for the help./

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2005, 11:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.