PDA

View Full Version : Art & Personality Experiment !!

ashakarc
08-03-2005, 04:10 AM
You must check this art and personality experiment (http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/art/). I had a blast !!

Peddy
08-03-2005, 06:07 AM
this is strictly my opinion on this test.

1. it got my favourite type of art wrong, and thats because it only showed a select few examples of types of art, mostly all old stuff and none of it not on a canvas of some sort.

2. none of the paintings stirred me emotionally, so i found it nigh impossible to describe how i felt about it. which leads to

3. the questions about the art were rather limited.

4. there were only about 10 (max) different personality questions asked, and then reasked about 5 times each with different wording and the same ranking system.

somehow, i found it hard to take it seriously when i was able to consider it so full of holes. but thats just me.

Kirt
08-03-2005, 06:52 AM
I think it was a pretty decent survey. The repeating questions at the end seemed odd and pointless, but I guess they were looking for quick initial reactions to these questions to accurately gauge your "type" (while not relying on one response to do so).

I favored Cubism Cubism
Looking at a cubist painting is a bit like gazing into a shattered mirror the image is fragmented and you can see it from different angles.

Pablo Picasso and Georges Braque invented Cubism between 1907 and 1914 and, in the process, threw out the painting 'rulebook'.But that was probably because of the humorous buck-tooth-Picasso cow. That painting always puts me in a good mood. :D

Here's what it had to say about my personality ... Average extraversion
People with average extraversion scores tend not to crave the company of others quite as much as people with high extraversion scores. But they also don't necessarily feel happiest on their own like people with low extraversion scores. They are somewhere in between. Sometimes they enjoy the stimulation of events like parties, but they are also more able to make their own entertainment.

Average agreeableness
People with average agreeableness scores tend not to be as keen to understand other people's feelings as people with high agreeableness scores. But they are also more likely to seek a compromise or avoid offending others than people with low agreeableness scores. They are somewhere in between. They can engage positively with others and put people at their ease, but they may be more likely to speak their mind, even at the risk of offending someone.

High conscientiousness
People with high conscientiousness scores like to do things properly. When they say they'll do something, they do it. They have a keen attention to detail and like things to be ordered and in their place. They like organisation and are prepared for every eventuality. They have a strong sense of responsibility.

Average emotional stability
People with average emotional stability scores are more likely to have mood swings than people with high emotional stability scores. But they tend to have a less varied emotional life than people with low emotional stability scores. They are somewhere in between. They can be fairly relaxed and predictable, but may occasionally have strong emotional reactions to events.

High intellectualism
People with high intellectualism scores are interested the abstract. They like thinking about things they can't see and have creative imaginations, able to dream up whole new worlds. They like to feel they understand things and will probe deeply into a subject to get as good an insight as possible.

High emotional intelligence
People with high emotional intelligence scores see themselves as emotionally well balanced. They believe they are good at empathising with other people and have a good insight into their own emotional needs, drives and reactions. High scorers see themselves as well balanced and largely in control of their own emotions. They also tend to feel confident in interacting with people and believe they are able to connect with and influence others by using their emotional understanding.Which I agree with pretty much (except I sometimes don't "just do it" if I get bored with whatever "it" is). :shrug:

An interesting survey ... at least more interesting than the "what type of Star Wars character are you?" type of surveys.

tevih
08-03-2005, 02:04 PM
They never once showed a Michelangelo a Reaussau or a Hirschfeld. :D

Didn't have patience for personality test. Not interested in what a computer says I am.

ashakarc
08-03-2005, 02:10 PM
They never once showed a Michelangelo a Reaussau or a Hirschfeld. :D

Didn't have patience for personality test. Not interested in what a computer says I am.
It showed Sargent and Picasso. The computer just crunches the data, your personality will not be analyzed by a computer, but by pattern matching. Computers can't analyze, they do it for us only ;)

Stahlberg
08-03-2005, 06:12 PM
I got the same personality as Kirt apparently. :) But I favored the Japanese woodblock prints.

evanfotis
08-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Here is mine:
Your results
Your favourite type of art is Japanese ukiyo-e.

In the personality profile you had a high conscientiousness score, which suggests you have a strong sense of responsibility and a good eye for detail.

Find out more about your personality test results

People who are the same age and sex as you are most likely to prefer Impressionism

People who also score highly in your dominant personality trait are most likely to prefer Impressionism
Also check this out:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/index_surveys.shtml
And since we're visual creatures try this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/faceperception1/index.shtml

And if you're more interested in what a face reveal, a shameless plug:
http://www.fotisinternationalart.com/DWpagesHTML/Physio%20basic.htm

stepington
08-03-2005, 11:09 PM
I scored as a cubist.

Average extraversion

Average agreeableness

Average conscientiousness

High intellectualism

But apparently people of my age and personality prefer impressionism - oh well.

gruvsyco
08-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Your favourite type of art is Cubism.

In the personality profile you had a high intellectualism score, which suggests you like to think about abstract ideas and have a creative imagination.

People who are the same age and sex as you are most likely to prefer Impressionism

People who also score highly in your dominant personality trait are most likely to prefer Impressionism

Kargokultti
08-03-2005, 11:55 PM
I think the whole thing was a bit biased; nearly all the paintings felt like they had been carefully selected - not too god, not too bad. But that one impressionist image, the highest scoring one, that was just plain good. I'd guess that'd skew the whole thing towards Impressionism. For some reason the image reminded me a lot of Mr. Mullins' work.

According to the test, I prefer Japanese woodblock prints, but I really only loathed them least. They too were rather indifferent specimens.

DaddyMack
08-04-2005, 01:14 AM
Favourite type of art is Abstract. People who are the same age and sex as you are most likely to prefer Impressionism

Average extraversion
High agreeableness
High Intellectualism
High emotional intellegence

Now back to being Averagely conscientious....

Trident_2K5
08-04-2005, 01:16 AM
Northern Renaissance. Am I the only one here?

P.S.Personality test is quite sound, although "sixth" scale of ones frankness and honesty is either absent or well-hidden.

DimensionalPunk
08-04-2005, 01:46 AM
Impressionist paintings often appear on mugs, calendars and posters. However, they weren't always so socially acceptable.

LOL! That was a waste of time.

tevih
08-04-2005, 04:00 AM
It showed Sargent and Picasso.

But that's exactly my point. To show only one artist of a particular era or style is not enough. I don't like picasso, at all, but I like Roussau's (gah! sp?!) wacky imagination and bright colors. But really, there was not enough to choose from to give a good answer.

And again - Hirshfeld isn't even remotely on the same page as any of those guys!!! And I'll break the knees of anyone who says a Hirshfeld isn't art!!! :twisted:

(p.s. - read this book: Amazon.com: "Hirschfeld - On Line" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1557833567/qid=1123124503/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-6387817-6284048?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) Better yet, buy this book!)

Schwinnz
08-04-2005, 04:35 AM
Your favourite type of art is Impressionism.

In the personality profile you had a high intellectualism score, which suggests you like to think about abstract ideas and have a creative imagination.

Average extraversion

People with average extraversion scores tend not to crave the company of others quite as much as people with high extraversion scores. But they also don't necessarily feel happiest on their own like people with low extraversion scores. They are somewhere in between. Sometimes they enjoy the stimulation of events like parties, but they are also more able to make their own entertainment.

Average agreeableness

People with average agreeableness scores tend not to be as keen to understand other people's feelings as people with high agreeableness scores. But they are also more likely to seek a compromise or avoid offending others than people with low agreeableness scores. They are somewhere in between. They can engage positively with others and put people at their ease, but they may be more likely to speak their mind, even at the risk of offending someone.

People with average conscientiousness scores have a sense of responsibility and like to get the job done. However, they might concentrate more on the big picture and less on the details than people with high conscientiousness scores.

People with average emotional stability scores are more likely to have mood swings than people with high emotional stability scores. But they tend to have a less varied emotional life than people with low emotional stability scores. They are somewhere in between. They can be fairly relaxed and predictable, but may occasionally have strong emotional reactions to events.

High intellectualism

People with high intellectualism scores are interested the abstract. They like thinking about things they can't see and have creative imaginations, able to dream up whole new worlds. They like to feel they understand things and will probe deeply into a subject to get as good an insight as possible.

People with high emotional intelligence scores see themselves as emotionally well balanced. They believe they are good at empathising with other people and have a good insight into their own emotional needs, drives and reactions. High scorers see themselves as well balanced and largely in control of their own emotions. They also tend to feel confident in interacting with people and believe they are able to connect with and influence others by using their emotional understanding.

LadyAkuma
08-04-2005, 07:14 AM
Few art displayed made me feel anything, and I don't particularily care for Northern Renaissance art, but oh well, I don't particularily care for any type of art over another.

I was "average" everything. Meh

erilaz
08-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Apparently I like impressionism. I was always a sucker for stuff that looked impressive.:D

Ilikesoup
08-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Northern Renaissance rocks! :buttrock:

Here's the rest:
Average extraversion

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/art/images/title_corner.gifPeople with average extraversion scores tend not to crave the company of others quite as much as people with high extraversion scores. But they also don't necessarily feel happiest on their own like people with low extraversion scores. They are somewhere in between. Sometimes they enjoy the stimulation of events like parties, but they are also more able to make their own entertainment.
High agreeableness

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/art/images/title_corner.gifPeople with high agreeableness scores engage positively with other people. They are keen to understand people's feelings and feel real warmth for others. As they are so empathic, they like to make sure other people are happy and will do what they can to put people at their ease.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/art/images/title_corner.gifPeople with average conscientiousness scores have a sense of responsibility and like to get the job done. However, they might concentrate more on the big picture and less on the details than people with high conscientiousness scores.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/art/images/title_corner.gifPeople with average emotional stability scores are more likely to have mood swings than people with high emotional stability scores. But they tend to have a less varied emotional life than people with low emotional stability scores. They are somewhere in between. They can be fairly relaxed and predictable, but may occasionally have strong emotional reactions to events.
High intellectualism

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/art/images/title_corner.gifPeople with high intellectualism scores are interested the abstract. They like thinking about things they can't see and have creative imaginations, able to dream up whole new worlds. They like to feel they understand things and will probe deeply into a subject to get as good an insight as possible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/art/images/title_corner.gifPeople with high emotional intelligence scores see themselves as emotionally well balanced. They believe they are good at empathising with other people and have a good insight into their own emotional needs, drives and reactions. High scorers see themselves as well balanced and largely in control of their own emotions. They also tend to feel confident in interacting with people and believe they are able to connect with and influence others by using their emotional understanding.

StealthPharaoh
08-06-2005, 01:56 AM
both tests said i like Northern Renaissance..then i the got this:

In the personality profile you had a high intellectualism score, which suggests you like to think about abstract ideas and have a creative imagination...bla bla bla

that test is pointless..the styles are so limited..and it doesn't really have to do much with ur personality..i mean personality is a lot more complex than that

PSR
08-06-2005, 02:20 AM
that test is pointless..the styles are so limited..and it doesn't really have to do much with ur personality..i mean personality is a lot more complex than that

I have a feeling that the test has more significance for the individuals who have set it, than the willing guinea pigs taking part

mosconariz
08-06-2005, 03:16 AM
Oh damn, I was a guinea pig another time!

and cubist and
High intellectualism

many of us with these results...

cheney
08-06-2005, 03:58 AM
I defied the popular art. The test indicated my personality, high emotional stability, should have liked impressionism as did my age and gender. My most liked art was abstract. My education as a practiced abstract artist who is months away from earning a BFA is what probably seperated me from the over whelming majority. None the less, I cannot say if the test was accurate, but I do feel it accurately reflected me in both portions.

Cyborgguineapig
08-06-2005, 07:17 AM
Low emotional stability heh, tell me something I don't know

Adriana
08-07-2005, 09:19 AM
You must check this art and personality experiment (http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/art/). I had a blast !!
They should have included some photography or digital works. The images they showed were interesting, but it would have been nice if they used some examples of the cutting edge work that one sees today.

SpiritWalker
08-08-2005, 12:10 AM
it said- "Your favourite type of art is Japanese ukiyo-e. "

and i got:

High extraversion

High agreeableness

High conscientiousness

High intellectualism

edit: i was wating for some cg art images, or something like that, only thing i really liked was the old japanese art, dont like abstract and stuff of that kind.
prefer the "which lord of starwars/lord of the rings are you" test much more ;).

PSR
08-08-2005, 06:15 PM
I think that the chosen works were deliberately slightly obscure, so as not to colour the really interesting part of the test. That is, how ones like or dislike of a piece of work, affected our judgement of the artists talent.

The personality test results were just a little bit of fun. A reward for taking part, you know like a horoscope.

noanswer42
08-10-2005, 01:31 AM
I stopped taking it about 3/5 of the way through because I hadn't seen a single thing I liked and was having trouble describing my feeling because everything felt so flat and similar.

Fasty
08-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Man that is a frustrating test. I can say what I like to look at, but judging the artist's talent based on a piece completely removed from its context? Impossible!

Anyway it suggested I like Japanese ukiyo-e woodblock prints. Which I do.

ashakarc
08-12-2005, 05:01 PM
No doubt, this test is not comprehensive neither it is accurate, but a lot of fun. It measures our subjectivity in judgement towards other people's work and towards ourselves. It made me ask myself questions that I never needed to ask, which in turn made me revisit my thoughts about certain things. It is a mind game after all being played on us by some researchers, why not !!

AnimZiggy
08-15-2005, 09:51 PM
* Japanese ukiyo-e. In the personality profile you had a high intellectualism score, which suggests you like to think about abstract ideas and have a creative imagination.

hmmm it didnt have all types of art though.... funny test especially the personality questions!

beSigned
08-17-2005, 12:37 PM
I'm supposed to be a cubist and I've got these results :

Average extraversion
High agreeableness
Low emotional stability
High intellectualism

With which I can throughout agree.
I think the "personality questions" part of the test was perfect because they asked the same things 10 times in a row but with a little different words which insulted in a bit different answers. Liked it :-)

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2005, 12:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.