PDA

View Full Version : Maya files between MAC and PC

feeesh
08-03-2005, 02:08 AM
Hi everyone, I am looking to buy a workstation for working on school projects at home adn when I cant work in the lab. At school it is all MAC based Maya, ZBrush, and Renderman.

I am a PC guy (please dont start a Mac vs. PC discussion out of this) and prefer to get a PC workstation. My question is this:

Will the files I created in MAYA on a MAC be able to open just the same if I bring it home to load up on my PC?

I have worked for years on both platforms for Adobe Products and Macromedia and they are pretty much interchangeable with little or no difference in opening files regardless of where it was created and worked on. Does the same (hopefully) hold true for Maya?

Thx!

-feeeeeeeeesh

wild-paradox
08-03-2005, 02:15 AM
I know that Maya files saved on a PC will open easily on a Mac. However, if you wish to open a Mac Maya file on a PC, I believe you may have to save it as a Maya Binary file. It has been a while since I have had to convert from one system to another.

At any rate, the two systems, Mac and PC, are compatable through Maya.

Hope that helps. :)

08-03-2005, 04:46 AM
I regularly pass files between the mac and PC without any issues.

splintah
08-03-2005, 04:32 PM
I regularly pass files between the mac and PC without any issues.

me too but i had some minor issues
but that may be user errors

for example i had a simple file with a 4 letter logo (made with create text and extrude)
the weired thing was that on pc the letters were all on top of each other
but thats the only one i can think of

so i would go for it

XenaTrek
08-03-2005, 05:01 PM
I use both platform interchangably (PC at home and one collage; and Mac at another college), and rarely have problems. Tho I think the trick is to have the same version on both machines. Also in my habit, I usually save more then one copy of the file in different places, flash/jumpdrive and external hard drives.

XenaTrek.

feeesh
08-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Awesome, great to hear. Thanks everyone. YEah the saem version could be an issue now that I think about it as school has the latest and I am on Maya 5 at home. BUt Im sure I can figure out a workaround or get the upgrade if I can afford it. But as long as I know it's possible that's the biggest hurdle and Im so glad you can.

Xenatrek - yeah Ill probly be doing the same. Copying to my Flash Drive or PSP and bringing it home to the PC.

--feeeeeeeesh

splintah
08-04-2005, 09:01 AM
well opening a maya7 file with maya5 is going to be a major problem

XenaTrek
08-04-2005, 12:38 PM
well opening a maya7 file with maya5 is going to be a major problem

Correct. You can't go backwards. You can not open a new version using an older version, but can open an older version (well most of the time, I did have a few occurences where it didn't open due to corruption of the file) in the newer version.

You can 'cheat' it by saving it as an ascii file and opening it in wordpad and then change the version number to the version you want. I've only had 50/50 chance of getting it to work this route.

XenaTrek.

08-04-2005, 05:13 PM
The problem with header hacking is any nodes that are unsupported between the old and new version won't work. This may have no effect or this may completely bork your scene. If you need to go backwards; your best bet is to export out as .obj or .fbx

feeesh
08-04-2005, 06:29 PM
yeah Ill have to upgrade to the newest version, ugh. Financial aid? Donations anyone?!? heheheh.

The header hacking might work ok as Ill be doing pretty simple projects at first but I'd rather not have to mess with files like that and risk corrupting them or losing important pieces of the project somehow.

CGTalk Moderation
08-04-2005, 06:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.