PDA

View Full Version : Halftone Shader

proton
10-30-2002, 03:32 AM
Here is a quick test I did using the Halftone shader....Should give you guys some cool ideas of what can be down with it.....

proton
10-30-2002, 03:34 AM
few more....

proton
10-30-2002, 03:34 AM
and one more shot

proton
10-30-2002, 03:36 AM
here it is....

Vodoo_Child
10-30-2002, 03:58 AM
I like the look. Will have to try it someday. I am still playing with cell shader. Thanks for the link to savinov's site. The specular tutorial of his is awsome, but takes forever to load this evening.

proton
10-30-2002, 04:04 AM
settings...all are defualt except "Spot Type"....

MaskTX
10-30-2002, 04:08 AM
Yea its cool but what for it done? I mean you make a scetch then make a model by scetch, then make scetch looking render? Or it is for animations in a big part?:wavey:

PNelson
10-30-2002, 04:13 AM
Looks cool, but I have one question...

Why do all you tones look like they have been cut in half? ;->

Sorry I can't resist being a dork. :p

See ya,
Philip Nelson

SheepFactory
10-30-2002, 04:16 AM
WOW! , thats a mighty nice render style Proton!

do you have any test animations rendered with this shader>?

A|i

proton
10-30-2002, 04:16 AM
SHeep Factory- no tests yet but it should work no problem....it works kinda like a gradiant....I'll see If I can do something real fast as demo...

MaskTX- the idea is to use this style of render for an animation....it would take much longer to do in 2D with all the line work....plus I don't have those 2D animation skills :)

proton
10-30-2002, 04:22 AM
thanx....I was on my way to work one day when I realized that my name William....was actually Will.....I....Am......

I was sooo happy!:D

Be sure to check out this Seuss style anim that Kurt Larsen and I worked on in the evenings over a two week period...

http://www.lightwave3d.com/profiles/Nebenwerk/william.wmv

(Streaming .AVI)

Per-Anders
10-30-2002, 04:23 AM
i know this is cheeky and off thread topic... (sorry i'm actually a c4d user who happens to sometimes use other packages in other peoples offices when they ask nice enough

but there's a tute on doing this on my site in c4d (the renderzone section). and kaiskai who you might have seen around produced a whole heap of these sorts of shdaers of c4d using the BhodiNUT smells like almonds (i know it's sick) shader system. check their forum for examples done using this...

http://forum.bhodinut.com/

btw proton, excellent renders, you know dr seus was exactly what i thought of when i first saw your avatar! oh and keep up the good work... even as a user of another package (mainly) i'm learning a hell of a lot about modelling mostly in the lightwave thread!!! (even if i can't try out all the plugins that people go on about).

(please don't all hate me now because i'm a thread dilitante!)

proton
10-30-2002, 04:23 AM
hmmm...link is broken....can you send new one...I would love to have a look!

facial
10-30-2002, 04:29 AM
proton, You stuff is really greate, you are genius. :thumbsup:
I like to create some NPR rendering stuff:beer:

PNelson
10-30-2002, 04:30 AM
Seriously... The Half-Tone shader has been in LightWave for quite some time!

It's nice to see it getting some "props"!:p

Philip Nelson
NewTek

proton
10-30-2002, 04:40 AM
mdme- cool tutorial....nice site as well!

Per-Anders
10-30-2002, 04:42 AM
yeah sure... ok

my ancient website
http://www.peranders.com/

the more recent renderzone section:
http://www.peranders.com/c4d8/
(then go to tips, and there's a cel shader tute there)

the bhodinut forum
http://forum.bhodinut.com/

oh and facial... your stuff is some of the most amazing npr rendering i've ever seen... care to share how you did them? (in generic shader terms)

proton
10-30-2002, 04:43 AM
Don't forget that you can get a fully rigged and animated version of this character in teh SIG_02 files located here:

http://www.newtek.com/support/reg/sigcontent.html

Enjoy!:bounce:

proton
10-30-2002, 04:51 AM
Why would I hate you :shrug:

It's great to see you sharing what you know....keep up the great work!

Per-Anders
10-30-2002, 04:53 AM
thankyou :) (phew you don't hate me)

i'm still working on it, and hopefully there'll be a few more "generic" tutes on there at some point, ones that everyone can enjoy.

i see server synchronicity isn't quite there yet :/

Per-Anders
10-30-2002, 05:24 AM
cos i'm an interloper... but i'm glad ya's don't

for sheep factory... here's a test to show how these materials tend to behave in motion...

http://www.peranders.com/c4d8/tute/quickcel/celtestsmall.mov

it's a bit cruddy cos i had to compress it so (sorry 'bout that)

SheepFactory
10-30-2002, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the animation :beer:

I love this style !

mohh
10-30-2002, 10:15 AM
That's a great animation proton. It's inspiring. :)

ThomasHelzle
10-30-2002, 12:58 PM
Hi Proton,

looks really great! :bounce:

We are currently using the Halftone-Pixelfilter for some similar Renderings without getting the "edges" (Halftone-Shader seems to use quadric projection...?)
But the Pixelfilter has a small but annoying bug: it doesn't load the stroke style when the scene was re-opened - it allways renders with dots instead of lines until it is reset by hand...
Is Deuce as "Beta-God" the man to send something like this to?

Thank you and keep it comming - NPR is great ... ;-)

Thomas Helzle

foofinu
10-30-2002, 01:03 PM
Wow, really cool stuff Will... and congrats on the cover page! You've made a big jump since Carnivores. ;)

wasted weasel
10-30-2002, 01:44 PM
is that going to be a game Proton?? or was it just messing around?

I love it either way. what are your next ideas for that character? [animation wise]

(the giant blue walking legs that he jumped into were cool as hell)

proton
10-30-2002, 02:19 PM
Kurt and I would like to make it a game....a few weeks after that I was brought on at NewTek and have been to busy to work on it....but we are still trying to get it made....

The Blue Mech is my favorite....Dr. Seuss craeted the first MEch I think....

Sk810
10-30-2002, 04:01 PM
If you haven't checked out Darktree, here's one of the shaders called comic. You can now download there plugins for free. These plugins give you paramaters called tweeks in which you can change. These shaders come with the plugin.

Nicool
10-30-2002, 07:55 PM
Does your shader has remove the problem of flinking during an animation?

Per-Anders
10-30-2002, 08:31 PM
i shouldn't imagine the darktree texture flickers, the dots are too large, but i gess depending on where you model is in the scene. as for my shaders... they don't flicker (at least i've not had them flicker) the preview movie flickers a little cos i compressed it down to a tenth of it's original size, the original is nice and schmoooth. :) as for the lightwave sketch shader, dunno. you can always do a frontal projection if you get problems with procedurals flickering when too small... that way you get the nice cel shaded look/dot pattern, but the texture wont move with objects scale, size, rotation)... could be interesting.

Steve Warner
10-30-2002, 08:56 PM
This shader reminds me of the Wallstreet Journal commercial that aired a few weeks back. The production company tried using a 3D character with a halftone shader, but wasn't happy with the results. I wonder if the Lightwave shader would work better...

Steve

CHRiTTeR
10-30-2002, 11:53 PM
Cool halftone shader, looks like woodcuts, but it generates a 'moiré' (if u know wath this is...). Could u try to fix this?

proton
10-31-2002, 05:07 AM
Thanx! I plan to play with it some more when I get back from Mexico.....it's fun stuff!

Ed Bittner
10-31-2002, 12:33 PM
Here is one with incidence angle gradient.(Ink with airbrush?)
Ed

proton
10-31-2002, 01:18 PM
Very cool...keep playing ....this is fun!

CG.p
10-31-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Steve Warner
This shader reminds me of the Wallstreet Journal commercial that aired a few weeks back.

Ugh. I hated those.

The guys head was freaky looking through most of that. The idea was good, just the execution left something to be desired.

Ed Bittner
11-01-2002, 12:00 PM
And finally, the typical "painted cel" look.
Ed

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.